Err, which amp do you mean? Guitar or bass?

The guitar amps were good, but they have recently spun out the guitar amps to a sister company, hayden and stopped producing the fallen angel all tube series.

The all tube fallen angels are great amps, similar to a marshall but sound better, and they do everything from blues to rock to metal.

The peacemaker series is all tube class A. I've not played one, but I believe they are a general rock sort of amp.

Then there are the hand built small amps such as the essex blonde. Again no experience but for low gain sorts of sounds apparantly they are good.

As for bass, well ashdown produces some very good bass amps, the guy who owns it used to be high up at trace elliot. They are more 'vintage' sounding, so more of a growl than a hi-fi sort of amp, which sounds good for rock. Just look at any festival and count the number of players who use ashdown (which is usually the case if they don't have an ampeg).
REALLY!
the crappy local store in my small town has a fallen angel i think.. when did they discontinue them?
Err, they discontinued the original all valve ones a couple of years back, replacing with all valve but with DFX instead of spring reverb. Then these were discontinued maybe a year back. They also made hybrids, which I have never tried, and continue to do so under hayden, but in my opinion the fallen angels sound best when cranked so as a hybrid they won't match the all tubes.

This is what they have become: http://www.haydenamps.com/

There are still plenty of amps floating about, try one out if you want to see what they sound like.
i think theres an all tube one.. wow, how much do they sell for?
The Fallen Angel is all tube. The newer models had digital effects on them as well. They're very good amps for the money you pay. I got mine for £300 and I love it. The effects aren't brilliant though, but its nice to know they are there in case you ever want to try something a little bit different.
so what the most i should pay for it? like if its over 1000 dont even bother? 600 get?? 800 what?
Most i'd spend would be about £350 for a new one... which is probably like 700 dollars or something round that. Anything above that is a bit much. They seem to be around the £300 mark here in England, but I don't know about America (I presume that's where you're from?)
The all tube ones are completely black, the hybrid ones have some weird purply crap on them. They originally retailed at around £500 ($1000), so anything below that is worthwhile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Red writing is fine, they all had that....

Here's a tube one
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14396
the 60 watt version sounds like this

This is a hybrid, you don't want one of these...
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14400
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

okay, i looked at it and it was the all tube but i think im ganna bring my guitar into the store and play it to see how it sounds.. so whats its strong point genre?
^ It's actually a very versatile amp.

The clean channel can be very sparkly clean (sparkly and deep with neck humbucker if the gain is low, bass high, mid low and treble high), and will also crunch when the gain is higher.

The overdrive channel is extremely versatile because the EQ is very responsive. There is tonnes of bass, mid or treble at your disposal, but it can also be removed from the mix. Out of mine I can get ACDC, GnR, modern rock sounds, a good brown sound, and a good scooped metal sound out of it. The gain goes about as high as a Marshall does, and when cranked the amp sounds very nice indeed.

Go in there open minded and play everything you can. Definitely turn the volume up if you can, it makes a big difference.

One point to mention is that because the EQ is responsive, if you have it set badly, and don't have the volume high enough the distortion can just sound like thin fuzz. It does take quite a bit of playing around with to really nail it, but you can get some awesome sounds out of it. However, at the end of the day it is a 'British' sounding amp, so don't expect mesa boogie-ness.
oh, what footpedal could i use with it to swich between channels?
oh, what footpedal could i use with it to swich between channels?

There's a link to soundclips in my last post - it comes with it's own footswitch for channel switching, boost, FX and switchable master volumes.

It'll do anything up to older-type metal tones...you won't get shimmery fender cleans, or those liquid searing recto type-tones without an OD or an EQ but pretty much everything else in between is covered.

$952 is a bit pricier than they were in the UK, but that's expected as they were always more expensive the other side of the pond. If you like the sound it's well worth the money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 20, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
There's a link to soundclips in my last post - it comes with it's own footswitch for channel switching, boost, FX and switchable master volumes.

It'll do anything up to older-type metal tones...you won't get shimmery fender cleans, or those liquid searing recto type-tones without an OD or an EQ but pretty much everything else in between is covered.

$952 is a bit pricier than they were in the UK, but that's expected as they were always more expensive the other side of the pond. If you like the sound it's well worth the money.

I don't know the exchange rate, but canadian $ is less than us $, no? In which case it's probably good. Which head, the 60W or 180W?
i think 60 watt because a 180 tube head would be so usless, mabye if it was SS but its all tube.

oh and at the swtore they have the combo but they dont have a cab for the head so if i play the combo will it sound pretty much the same as if im playing the head at home? exept the speakers will be different because im using a custom cab with a pair of eminence texas heat
The 180 watt head cost about £1,000, so I doubt it's that one.

I've never heard of someone changing the speakers, so I have no idea what they add to the tone. Never heard a comparison between the combo and the head, either.

I'd say that's a pretty good price, not as good as what I paid, though.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
no, im not changing the speakers im using the head + home made cabinet
^I know, I just meant that I've no idea what kind of tone the speakers have.

It'll probably sound a bit different, but not hugely, I reckon.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
so if i changed styles to more blues/jazz will it pull it off without having to load it on effects
Last edited by lua4x at Jul 21, 2007,
oh, and will this amp be pretty rare in like 20 years if they discontinued it?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Are there any around still? I'm dying for one.. some sites have them still listed with no stock info.. I guess il lfind out if they are in stock tommorrow. SCARY.. I really want that amp, it sounds perfect for me.
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Quote by lua4x
oh, and will this amp be pretty rare in like 20 years if they discontinued it?

Haha, just look at 'legendary' amps that are discontinued. You can pick up a used jcm800 for about £500, I wouldn't say that makes it rare. Sure they made a lot more of the jcm800's, but only time will tell for the Ashdown.

You're probably better off buying second hand now if the shops don't stock them.

Although vastly overpowered the 180W head has some extra cool features such as switchable FX loop, I think it's a good idea to buy that if you can and remove four of the power tubes so it's only 60W, second hand this shouldn't be a bad buy.

Or try to get the non DFX versions.
so if i changed styles to more blues/jazz will it pull it off without having to load it on effects

Well, you'd have to turn down the gain and...

...no, actually that's it!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc