A little while ago a friend of mine suggested I pick up the Frank Herbert novel Dune, I was a little skeptic after hearing from a teacher that the only thing they could remember was that in the movie Sting wears a cod-piece....... but on I went to the library to pick it up and WOW, what a great book, perfectly mixing morality, politics and military warfare, all within the perfect sci-fi setting Arrakis. From there I went on to read the prequels House Atriedes, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino, as well as the whole Butlerian Jihad trilogy. They just kept getting better and better. I've been trying to find the sequel to the original Dune (Children Of Dune) but no book stores or librarys have it .

So if anyone else here has read these books and would like to discuss, well this is the place to do it.
Ive heard the Dune series is one of the best Sci-Fi out there. However, Ive never actually had much time to read any as im currently going through all 4 'Halo' books. From what I have heard though, if you like dune, you'd love the 'Ringworld' series.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
If you like Sxi-Fi literature you MUST read the Hyperion saga by Dan Simmons. Man, what an amazing book. Another great piece of work is Ender's Game, but if you're into reading you've probably read it already. I only read Dune (the first book) and I really liked it too.
Hell is empty. All the devils are here. - William Shakespeare
I've read the first four Dune books. It's an excellent series, although it starts to slow down for me in Book IV. You might also enjoy the Ender series by Orson Scott Card, which has similar themes of morality, philosophy, etc.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I've read the first four Dune books. It's an excellent series, although it starts to slow down for me in Book IV. You might also enjoy the Ender series by Orson Scott Card, which has similar themes of morality, philosophy, etc.

Yeah, I've heard about the Ender sagas, nice title by the way. Thought I was the only one who ever read about the Pink Electric Monk.....

Quote by brendan666
I got the book but haven't read it yet. So far, my favorite sci-fi author is Philip K. Dick.

Wasn't he the guy who wrote "A Scanner Darkly" ?
i read Dune and i thought it was excellent. i started to read the sequel, Dune Messiah, and i thought it was awful. all they did was talk about one subject for 200 pages....

it got boring really fast, so i quit reading it.

Dinobot of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Quote by Stephen Colbert
Now the obvious question here is...

Who's fucking the ponies?

Quote by drop-dead666
Get.. Like he suggested, P-90's. Or you can just buy a hello kitty guitar.
Quote by Jimmy_Pwns_Jimi
i read Dune and i thought it was excellent. i started to read the sequel, Dune Messiah, and i thought it was awful. all they did was talk about one subject for 200 pages....

it got boring really fast, so i quit reading it.

All I want out of the sequels is to be able to see/read about Duncan Idaho.
Lets see.. If memory serves me correctly, the original serie consist out of 6 parts, then there's the prelude to that serie and three books that go WAAAY back and explain some things mentioned in the original series.

Anyways, the books are GREAT and I really think you should read the other parts too.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Quote by Dirk Gently

If the boring parts got to you I suggest the House series of Dune books, and the Butlerian Jihad is pretty interesting.
I'm rereading Dune right now to get back into it, and I've just realised how much like Jabba The Hutt Baron Harkonnen is...... except Jabba the Hutt could move around.
Quote by StoopidRudeboy
All I want out of the sequels is to be able to see/read about Duncan Idaho.

yes, i always thought Duncan was the ****

Dinobot of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Quote by Stephen Colbert
Now the obvious question here is...

Who's fucking the ponies?

Quote by drop-dead666
Get.. Like he suggested, P-90's. Or you can just buy a hello kitty guitar.
Quote by Jimmy_Pwns_Jimi
yes, i always thought Duncan was the ****

Read the House Atriedes, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino books. It's before he's a clone and it has the whole swordtraining at Ginaz set-up.