Hi dudes, nice to meet you all!
I was wondering if you could help me with a question that has been plauging me for some time now.

I play with my guitar sitting on my right leg, and have found this very comfortable! But i have been advised that i cannot advance in this position - and that i should hold my guitar the classical way !

Whilst I appreciate this is good advice, is this really true? I dont see my heros Buckethead or Paul Gilbert etc holding it this way! My playing is starting to advance but i dont want to limit my technique.

Help!
doggystyle...

sorry...
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Last edited by tpot06 at Jul 20, 2007,
play standing up, then if you play out alot, you wont get tired as easily, and then there is no wrong way to hold it standing up, unless you are a retard and cant put the strap on right
hold it how you like as long as your neck hand has as good flexibility as it can.
Quote by j.pagejr.
if im in a rush then its in the water but if i have time to be precise i aim for the side

Quote by Shredder6
you guys stand up?
If it's comfortable to you, then play that way. There is no such thing as the "right" position.
Rubbish. As long as it's comfortable it's fine. I'm a leftie, and play with it resting on my left leg and it;s fine. Where else CAN you rest it? If you stick it on the other leg it's awful. Why on earth would they make guitars with ergonimics that make 'em comfortable to be on your right leg (left for leftie)
MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:
"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"
The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Thanks for your assitance guys. This guy is a hot player (shredder) and a nice guy to boot. But at the same time, i see most of my faviroute players playing the way i do !!

I play a wide variety of styles, Rock, Blues, Shred, and techniques such as Alternate picking, sweeping and legato. Im assumeing i can progress as far as i want with it on my right knee?
Quote by Edamr
Rubbish. As long as it's comfortable it's fine. I'm a leftie, and play with it resting on my left leg and it;s fine. Where else CAN you rest it? If you stick it on the other leg it's awful. Why on earth would they make guitars with ergonimics that make 'em comfortable to be on your right leg (left for leftie)

Well, until the invention of Western music, all guitars were made that way. So hundreds of years of that. Thats called a classical guitar. This makes it easier to use chords in higher positions (which as you might have noticed angle your hands in a strange way when playing on the "normal" leg).

But anyway, yes unless you are planning on playing classical or some form of music which uses just as many high chord formations (i.e. funk), then play using whichever leg is most comfortable to you and your progress will not be limited.

Standing up for most forms of music truly is the most helpful though.
I bet you five bucks that I play guitar.
Quote by thrash64
Well, until the invention of Western music, all guitars were made that way. So hundreds of years of that. Thats called a classical guitar. This makes it easier to use chords in higher positions (which as you might have noticed angle your hands in a strange way when playing on the "normal" leg).

But anyway, yes unless you are planning on playing classical or some form of music which uses just as many high chord formations (i.e. funk), then play using whichever leg is most comfortable to you and your progress will not be limited.

Standing up for most forms of music truly is the most helpful though.

Pshhh, i play funk, and jazz. And i don't know about classical, but those have the most and most odd chords you'll ever see, and i always play on my right leg (righty) when sitting, and i'm usually sitting.

Threadstarter, as long as you can comfortably reach all of the neck, and you're not straining for anything, play on whichever leg you want.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
misionary
a.k.a. however you want
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by cashewchaching
Pshhh, i play funk, and jazz. And i don't know about classical, but those have the most and most odd chords you'll ever see, and i always play on my right leg (righty) when sitting, and i'm usually sitting.

Threadstarter, as long as you can comfortably reach all of the neck, and you're not straining for anything, play on whichever leg you want.

this is true. Classical chords can suck jazz chords' dick.

and for threadstarter: the person who told you that you can't advance is full of bull****. just do it the way you want.
play with whatever is comfortable. i started out playing on my right leg and then my style started shifting depending on what chards i need to play. now i hold the guitar different and on my left leg.

moral of the story is play with whatever is comfortable. a good position for you will evolve on its own
Quote by Eminored
Hentai. It's a completely different world that will rip your eye-sockets and and skull-screw you with its tentacles.
It's bull**** you play however the hell you want.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb