Page 1 of 2
so as me and my dad were driving tonight we saw a drunk driver driving on the wrong side of the road and it made me think... why in the US do we drive on the right side of the road where in other places (say england) they drive on the left... how did this come to be?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Cuze europe and north american are diffrent... europe also uses diffrent types of power
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
i live in canada and i do both ...
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
Only England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and Austrailia and Canada (I think) drive on the left, because it was all part of the British empire.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Quote by eckmann88
Only England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and Austrailia and Canada (I think) drive on the left, because it was all part of the British empire.

oic... so like were they just trying to be different? lol
i don't drive on the road. i fly through the air on my bicycle with a little alien in my basket
Senor Frandango of Taco Cult PM Swordsrkewl to join

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I keep a plunger in my bathroom...my insperation usually clogs the toilet.
also notice that the drivers seat is on the right side of the car in places such as England
^ yea it makes sense though doesnt it?
Only England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and Austrailia and Canada (I think) drive on the left, because it was all part of the British empire

nope we drive on the right
i though most of europe was on the left side of the road
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
Cause we are t3h pwn so much that we do the opposite of the world, like driving and soccer.
There are plenty of Euro nations that drive on the right. It isn't just an American thing.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by eckmann88

Canada SOO does not drive on the left.
We're Americanized in that way, I guess...
Quote by C.C. Deville
oic... so like were they just trying to be different? lol

Yup.

The same thing with you spelling words differently. Then you get angry at us for spelling stuff wrong when you were the ones to change it.
LOL at an American thinking Canadians drive on the left
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^ I wanted to laugh but his ignorance shocked me.
Quote by DrLoveFuzz
I'd rather listen to my parents having sex than LCD Soundsystem.
ya.. pretty much every country drives on the right except for most commonwealth countries except for Canada, you're not special at all
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Yup.

The same thing with you spelling words differently. Then you get angry at us for spelling stuff wrong when you were the ones to change it.

haha yeah, honesltly i dont pronounce color or col-HOUR the U just seems unnecesary to me lol
Its because Great Britain had the first road system and everyone wanted to be different

but technically speaking in general it is safer to have the driver on the right because most people are right handed
Well in Old quebec city I take my bike and speed through the streets pretty fun passing the cops and then cant do **** . Last week some dude was slow in the 2 way road and i just plow myself in traffic and people were looking at me like :O crazy man. major adrenalin rush
Quote by Boogie Man
Its because Great Britain had the first road system and everyone wanted to be different

but technically speaking in general it is safer to have the driver on the right because most people are right handed

what does being right handed have to do with anythign though?
Well they drive on the left side in Japan, I think.
Dem Dry Bones
Current read: I Am America (And You Can Too) (Stephen Colbert)
Album of the Week: Four Thieves Gone (The Avett Brothers)
in Korea they drive under the roads
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They're all covers, but "Think" was actually written by Urethra Franklin.

Founder of the Offical Henry Polfave Sucks club
Quote by eckmann88

A few Asian countries as well, like Japan and Singapore, I'm not sure about the rest... We drive on the right.
Quote by Henry Polfave
in Korea they drive under the roads

What the hell are you talking about. ****in' asshole you are.

Anyways, if you drive on the left side, you're wrong. America is always right (literally).
Americans always drive on the right side of the road, unless you're drunk, then there is no road. Most of Europe and Ireland as a whole drive on the left. Other places don't.

Like how Americans don't use the metric system, how the world calls soccer football and how a hamburger isn't really made out of ham.

Yay for America.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Quote by mer_der_noms
Americans always drive on the right side of the road, unless you're drunk, then there is no road. Most of Europe and Ireland as a whole drive on the left. Other places don't.

Like how Americans don't use the metric system, how the world calls soccer football and how a hamburger isn't really made out of ham.

Yay for America.

Yay.

I'm just kidding about what I said of course. I hate American "football" and I wish they could just call soccer football. I also hate how Craisins are supposed to be cranberries but they taste like crap.
For you, I shall drive on the left side of the road from here on out.

Edit: I also wish the USA would use the SI system, I swear. Another reason why I love working on my forgein car. 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, and so on instead of 1/4", 1/2", seriously that ****s confusing.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Last edited by Ehh at Jul 21, 2007,
Passing on comming "traffic " to your right is ages old due to most people being right handed would employ a wapon with their right hand thus keeping to the left of someone is an advantage. Also where the military salute with the right hand originated was a way to show you were not armed. Napolean is the one that changed the custom of approaching on comming people from the left side. And he did simply because he didn't want to be British.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
What I don't understand is why Americans say erbs instead of herbs, rather silly indeed.
Quote by N_I_N-621
Yay.

I'm just kidding about what I said of course. I hate American "football" and I wish they could just call soccer football. I also hate how Craisins are supposed to be cranberries but they taste like crap.

What the **** are you talking about? Crasins are wonderful. And what does that have to do with anything?
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
Quote by eckmann88

Not Canada. Also Hong Kong (don't know about the rest of China), and several Caribbean islands (Bahamas and all the Virgin Islands, for starters). Probably some others.
Quote by Roger_Waters
^ wow i actually almost missed that hahaha iforgot your a genious

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, you know we couldn't live without you.

I'm oedipus, bitch, the original balla
Bust out my 9, light up your Impala
fuck that police!
It all started back in the horse and buggy days. Traffic would stay off to one side of the road so it flowed better. In some areas, people stayed to the left, and in others, people stayed to the right. The side was not really a preference but just a habit formed over time. So it was just the way it happened over time in each region. There is no specific reason for driving on the left or right.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Quote by mer_der_noms

Yay for America.

The word hamburger is used becuase it was created in Hamburg, Germany.

It has nothing to do with the ingredients used in making one.

Ofcourse, the irony of Americans using the word hamburger yet refusing to use 'french' fries, instead using 'freedom' fries, all due to the war in Iraq is hilarious.
Quote by Ehh
For you, I shall drive on the left side of the road from here on out.

Edit: I also wish the USA would use the SI system, I swear. Another reason why I love working on my forgein car. 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, and so on instead of 1/4", 1/2", seriously that ****s confusing.

It sure is. Much easier with the metric system than all those fractions.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
In europe before the 40's everybody used to drive left. however when hitler came to power he wanted it to be different from other countries so he changed it to right.
after his so-called "3rd reich" collapsed, the countries just kept it that way and gradually the rest of europe changed it too except for great britain and ireland.
in the US however they always used to drive on the right.

hope that solved the argument
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

Quote by eckmann88

jep
/tread

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by Arthur Curry
Here, read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_on_the_left_or_right#History

It's basically all about jousting.

I was going to quote that and post that it was disturbingly informative.
But then looked at the page, read the key to the diagram and decided that there was too much text to even bother.

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Page 1 of 2