I'm currently in two bands, both of which are very new, and I feel one is taking too long to write, and the other is writing extremely fast (def. not a problem.) Both bands have 2 originals and 1 cover, only one has been together for a bit over a month, the other has had one practice.

So how long does song writing usually last for your bands?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
I don't think I was clear enough in my post...how long does it take to write one song?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
It can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 months. It just all depends. My songwriting usually lasts an hour between me and my drummer (lyric-wise), but the music itself takes more time.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
For us we usually finish writing the music in one day (a full practice), and the lyrics another day, or vice-versa. But sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days, but not always, usually just 1.
^hey im from hudson!

but anyways it depends on the band really it could take months or hours, as said before
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
I can usually lay down a rough outline of a song in a day, but when I go back to work on it again I usually am unhappy with it so I end up changing it or scrapping it... So to answer your question, it really depends, to just write a song, could be just a few hours, to complete a song that I'm happy with the end product, probably a lot longer.
My guitarist always has a few riffs ready. So basically its who ever gets some lyrics down first. They bring them in, if we have a riff we see if it works, if it dosen't we keep looking for riffs (unless we don't like the lyrics.)

But once we find everything we like...it dosen't take us long. I don't know why, but my band never has to practice timing or anything like that, so that cuts down a lot of time. So in total, maybe 2 practices? But every band is different.
MY band used to practice once every week... but everyone is at holidays now -.- And we have had 6 practices, with our singer only be there i believe thrice. Lets see we usualy practice 3 hours, and we have gotten 2 songs now. You figure the rest out :P