I recently noticed that most bassists, on youtube at least, pick with their fingers and mute with their thumb, but I have a habit of picking with my thumb, sometimes alternating with the index, and muting with my palm or fretting hand. I have yet to find someone else who plays like me. So...am I wierd?
Nope, no sig here.
It's your style I sometimes play with 1 finger and sometimes with 3... makes that me weird?? I just play like I want!
Well you know how 'thumb rests' on old basses are down the bottom? That's so you can rest your fingers there to play with your thumb (as the bass was supposed to be played).

One of the bassists for Santana (this was after David Brown) played pretty much exclusively with his thumb, and he did some killer stuff. Can't remember his name now though :\
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
tim from RATM plays like that in the "bullet in the head" video. I play like that aswell so your not alone!
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
electric basses were originally played with the thumb. that was the 'standard' way of doing it. now its not. whatever works for you. i prefer fingers because i can build up a lot more speed with 3 finger plucking than single thumb plucking. but really its up to you.
i need to get a better signature.
Play how you want, however I can't imagine your top speed can get very high like that.
In the old days (50s 60s) thats how most electric bassists would play. I recall hearing someone say that in a documentary about the beach boys... for some reason...

weird.

Anyways I before e except after c and in weird and words that rhyme with leisure inclusive.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I don't play just with the thumb...I use all but the pinky, and I'm training myself to use it as well...

Still, nice to know I'm not alone
Nope, no sig here.