I was watching a John Petrucci video and his was playing some riffs in Emin and he was talking about chords that can back it up and he said by playing a C chord you will be in lydian. Why is that?
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

yea but doesn't lydian have a raised 4th so wouldn't that be C#
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

E is the relative minor to G (the relative minor is the 6th of the major scale) This means that E minor contains all of the same notes as G major. C is the 4th of G which means C lydian contains all of the notes of G major, thus contains all of the notes of E minor. Another example: in the key of A minor (which is the relative minor of C), you can play E phrygian because E is the 3rd of C. Let me know if you need a better explaination.
Quote by Chaos Guitar
yea but doesn't lydian have a raised 4th so wouldn't that be C#

Eh, no. How do you figure?
Quote by mtlguitarist67
E is the relative minor to G (the relative minor is the 6th of the major scale) This means that E minor contains all of the same notes as G major. C is the 4th of G which means C lydian contains all of the notes of G major, thus contains all of the notes of E minor. Another example: in the key of A minor (which is the relative minor of C), you can play E phrygian because E is the 3rd of C. Let me know if you need a better explaination.

No I just thought that the lydian has a raised 4th so instead of C it should have been C# but you explanind it to me better Thanks

So this would be C lydian:

C D E F# G A B Thats where the raised 4th comes into play

Hellsing Organization

Last edited by Chaos Guitar at Jul 21, 2007,