Im new to electric guitars and im getting my first one next week. Im tempted by a squire but ive heard there crap. Why?
i Have one Bro, Dont Go For It. Whats Your Price Range and MUsical INterests And I can give you some options
untr00
Quote by _me_
Im new to electric guitars and im getting my first one next week. Im tempted by a squire but ive heard there crap. Why?

very little sustain (thats how long a note lasts after you hit it). probably wont stay in tune well due to inferior parts. all these sorts of things!
poor wood, poor pickups, poor knobs/toggles, poor hardware.
Basically, inferior to most other guitars.
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
Don't believe the haters...at least not all of them...Squier's not bad at all so long as you stay away from the Affinity or Standard series...go for the Vintage Modified series of Squier guitars.

I own two from that line and they've been just as good to me as any other quality brand of guitar - in fact I play my VM series Squier guitar (it's a Squier 51 - which is no longer manufactured) more than my Gibson SG and I actually like the tones I get out of it better.
Equipment:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Standard Telecaster
Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster
Guild D-40 Richie Havens Signature Model
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Last edited by LordArbiter at Jul 21, 2007,
the fact that no-one can spell them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the fact that no-one can spell them.

LOL :-D - yeah, i've seen the name spelled a minimum of five different wrong ways.
Equipment:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Standard Telecaster
Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster
Guild D-40 Richie Havens Signature Model
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
^ haha, 5?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i Have one Bro, Dont Go For It. Whats Your Price Range and MUsical INterests And I can give you some options £100 - £150. crap i know !
people say they hate squiers because they jump on the squier-bash bandwagon like everyone else does. They are fine if you get them set up properly. I have one and it plays great.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
its spelled squier 1st and 2nd you will regret it the second you buy it/when you play a diffrent guitar.
Quote by buzzcut
people say they hate squiers because they jump on the squier-bash bandwagon like everyone else does. They are fine if you get them set up properly. I have one and it plays great.

But it probably sounds terrible. Tone is the most important thing in music, bar none.
I have a Squire Affinity Tele and there is nothing wrong with it. I've actually had 2 and they were both fine. Straight neck, level frets, and stayed in tune.

I've also got a G&L S-500, Fender Std Tele, Schecter C1, and an Epi Dot. The Squire compares well.
There a good and bad models. Also make sure you play one before you buy, because finding one is like hit and miss.

Models i approve of:
The Affinity series strat and teles (make sure you play because of hit and miss quality)
Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline (i recommend this one the most. Very good sound and extreamly comfortable to play.)
Pretty much anything from the Vintage Modified series
Jagmaster

The rest of the models either are crap and not worth mentioning or i havent tried.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I got the Strat pack and it seems fine for a new guitarists until you play a decent guitar through a decent amp, and then you wanna smash your face with your guitar and cry yourself to sleep.
Jackson Soloist SL-3
Squire Strat
Crate XT120R
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by SublimeGuitar
There a good and bad models. Also make sure you play one before you buy, because finding one is like hit and miss.

Models i approve of:
The Affinity series strat and teles (make sure you play because of hit and miss quality)
Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline (i recommend this one the most. Very good sound and extreamly comfortable to play.)
Pretty much anything from the Vintage Modified series
Jagmaster

The rest of the models either are crap and not worth mentioning or i havent tried.

I thought the Standard Series were better than the Affinity Series. You didn't list those.
There is nothing wrong with Squiers. They are great for a beginning guitarist, it's the ignorant people who think a better guitar makes you play better who think they are worthless. In conclusion, not the best and will NEVER have the same tone as a higher end axe, but there are worse out there, ie. Wal-Mart brand ones.
Last edited by ComeAsYouWere at Jul 21, 2007,
Quote by Holy Katana
I thought the Standard Series were better than the Affinity Series. You didn't list those.

There really no difference between the Standard and the Affinity series besides the price (affinity cheaper last time i checked) and the woods used (standards use Agathis and affinitys use alder, which i think has better tonal capabilities). So in my opinion the Affinity series have much better specs at a lower price than the standards.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by ComeAsYouWere
There is nothing wrong with Squiers. They are great for a beginning guitarist, it's the ignorant people who think a better guitar makes you play better who think they are worthless. In conclusion, not the best and will NEVER have the same tone as a higher end axe, but there are worse out there, ie. Wal-Mart brand ones.

i agree sorta. But i'd been playing for 8 years before i got a squier, and i ended up buying two more. They can be more playable than fenders without the added worries about things like damaging your precious £1k guitar, i know this from expenience although what i say is entirely personal opinion.

If you can get a good squier, it will be VERY good. My standard telecaster not only feels more solid than even the most expensive fenders, it sounds great too, you'll never understand how much I value that guitar though, because "its a squier it sux lolol".

EDIT: lol @ "poor sustain" i hope that was a joke.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 21, 2007,
Quote by ComeAsYouWere

So true. There are similar dimbulbs in my school who have awesome gear but can't play decent enough to save their lives and there are some with starter packs and people enjoy them more.

As far as starter guitars go, they are fine. It's just they won't always compare that well to guitars which cost £250 - 300 +.
...Bleep Bloop...
As many squier modders will tell you, they arent bad, affinity are made of alder and with new parts are comparable to mexican fenders.
Also squier '51s are made of basswood have coil tap, are said to have good stock hardware and pickups and are a modders dream.
Standards are made of agathis but have better hardware than affinitys, I prefer affinity due to the fact I hear good of agathis only if i'm playing higher gain stuff.
I haven't tried the vintage modified series but I hear theyr'e good.
Getting a good Squier is like any brand; there will be good ones and bad ones even if they are the same model. Each and every guitar is different, so go try some, and find yourself the guitar that suits you. Don't buy a guitar just because you want that model although it's action, weight, etc. is not to your liking. If you find a Squier that fits for you, go for it! They can be better than MiM Fenders, you just have to put effort into finding them. Good luck!
It always takes a while for the sensible comments to come through.

I've got a Squier Strat, Standard Series - and it plays like a dream. I've modded it a fair bit, but the only thing it REALLY needed was locking tuners, but then all strats need those - it certainly benefitted from a change of the stock wiring, but then so do all lower end guitars.

It's not my main guitar anymore, my American Tele is, but it plays BETTER than any MIM Fender I ever tried (although I spent more on the guitar and mods than I would have on a MIM strat) but I still pick it up regularly and I love playing it.

There is a load of 12 year old idiots on here, who think that the name on the headstock is the most important part of a guitar. There's not much (short of an MIA Strat) that i'd swap my Squier for!
There really no difference between the Standard and the Affinity series besides the price

The Squire Tele is string thru and the Affinity Tele is not. I'm fixing to put a Bigsby on my Std Telecaster so I'm putting the Std bridge on my Affinity. I'll drill it and put in string ferrules so that it will be a string thru. Adds sustain.

Regardless, the Affinity is a fine playing guitar and most of my tone comes from FX and of course playing ability (which I need a lot more of and always working on). A beginner isn't going to get better tone out of more expensive equipment, and an experienced player can make a cheap guitar like this sound expensive to practically everyone else but himself.

I'd rather have an assortment of good playing inexpensive guitars than one expensive guitar. If I was a experienced pro I might feel different though.
Get a stratocaster and a roland mini cube

with any spare cash you can modify the strat.
I don't even shred
squires are GREAT, but I'd say change out there piece o **** amp when ever you feel that you are ready for the next step, for me that was on my second year of playing
Quote by buzzcut

yea, i got a squier, and it plays like butter. the important thing is you get 1 with a good neck. i got mine off a guy who spent 20 years working at gibson in kalamazoo. if you get it set up right, its great.

it does kinda lack sustain though...
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Wait, ive got something good about squiers, theyre fun to smash!!!!!!!
?!
I have to say most of them are ****... but there are some that aren't too bad... I have a blue one with only one hum... I like it other then the pickup sucks... But I play on replacing it sometime...