Page 1 of 46
nz_matt
What about "Ghost Mutt?"
941 IQ
Why is it that all of The pics of Bob Dylan are in black and white?
Google Image him and all the results are in b&w or very dull colours.
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?
Oasis-fanatic
UG Fanatic
1,173 IQ
proabably his earlier days
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Blues Breaker
289 IQ
I guess we could use this as a thread hey.

I just watched Don't Look Back, and No Direction Home.
Good movies hey. Whatcha think.
nz_matt
What about "Ghost Mutt?"
941 IQ
Saw No direction home. It's good aye.

What's Don't look back like?

I would be keen to see a DVD of a complete concert from him cos he was/is very good live from what I've seen.
Quote by lachyray
Bluesbreaker7
Twee-pop aficionado
171 IQ
Bob Dylan - the master!
nz_matt - if you look hard enough there is a TV special from 1976 which is well worth watching. Absolutely brilliant performances of Shelter from the Storm & Idiot Wind, and a number of others. '76 id one of my favourite Dylan live years (along with '65,'66,'95 and 2000, to name a few).

Don't Look Back is great - from the aforementioned '65, his last non-electric tour. See him laugh! See him drink! See him pwn Donovan! See him play some of his greatest songs live!

I'm a Dylan nerd, so feel free to ask here if you have any questions/requests for recommendations etc.
nz_matt
What about "Ghost Mutt?"
941 IQ
Quote by Bluesbreaker7
I'm a Dylan nerd, so feel free to ask here if you have any questions/requests for recommendations etc.

It sounds like it aye!

Do you collect bootlegs?
Quote by lachyray
nz_matt
What about "Ghost Mutt?"
941 IQ
Recommend me a few titles. I've been interested in getting into collecting Bob Dylan but don't know where to start.

I've collected over a hundred Led Zeppelin boots but not one Bob Dylan yet.
Quote by lachyray
Bluesbreaker7
Twee-pop aficionado
171 IQ
OK, here are a few good ones:

Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears ('65)
While The Establishment Burns ('66)
Hold the Fort for What It's Worth ('76)
Bob's Full House ('95)

Try those. Try sampling a couple from each year if you can and see which you like. Dylan is probably the most changable artist there is.

I assume you've got the official Bootleg Series?
Jesse Mrau
148 IQ
^That's one thing I love about dylan, is that he refuses to become nostalgia. When I saw him concert a couple years ago, I was blindsided with unexpected arrangments for his songs. The only one that really stayed somewhat the same was Like A Rolling Stone during the encore.

And as for his pictures always being black and white, it was because of the time, it was the early 60s, colour was relqatively new. But also black and white photos just look classier and cooler.
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit
1,526 IQ
^exactly
bob dylan is just too amazing to become "old" like...dunno, the stones or something even though he is their age

bob dylan

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Blues Breaker
289 IQ
For good Dylan photos go on his website forum.
Theres like a few hundred pages of pics.
TDMize15
I Don't Even Know Myself
289 IQ
So Who else thinks he is the greatest songwriter ever?
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef
33 IQ
*raises hand*

Very few come close to him when it comes to songwriting ability. He has an uncanny talent at writing both music and lyrics. Desolation Row is my favorite Dylan song. He rhymes words that have no relation to each other, yet they seem perfect. And he is still chugging on today, his latest record is an awesome recording.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
European Son
57 IQ
Bob Dylan is, if not the greatest (which I'd like to say he is), definitely one of the greatest songwriters ever. Top 3 without a doubt. My favourite song is probably Positively 4th Street folowed by Ballad of a Thin Man.

EDIT: Last time I checked, I couldn't believe there were no Dylan thread. I guess a lot of the UGers prefer cheesy solos above good songwriting.
Last edited by European Son at May 9, 2007,
Supreme WarHawk
155 IQ
^ agreed. definitely top 3. probably top...1? yeah. I really like Mr. Tambourine Man.
al_
(some sketch)
556 IQ
So many Dylan songs are amazing. The beef I have with Dylan (and most singer/songrwriters) is that while their good songs are amazing, their shit songs are SHIT.
Lets face it, Dylan wrote some terrible songs.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
European Son
57 IQ
^I don't know, I haven't heard all of his music (too damn much). Still, he's been around for more than 40 years now and have recorded almost one record/year. It's kinda hard to maintain quality with that kind of quantity. I mean, sure, he could be like freakin Radiohead and spend 2 years recording one album. But that wouldn't be Dylan, would it?

All I'm sayin' is that while some artists release three records in three years, some artist record a lot longer. It's all preference.

EDIT: What I mean is; the more songs you write, the more bad songs you will write (and good ones too, of course).
Last edited by European Son at May 10, 2007,
Chris_Sleeps
356 IQ
Quote by al_
The beef I have with Dylan (and most singer/songrwriters) is that while their good songs are amazing, their shit songs are SHIT.

You do have a point. When he is good he's amazing, when he isn't he is terrible. I saw him live a few years ago and walked out, he was that bad. A friend saw him recently and said it was the best thing they've ever seen.

The interesting thing about Dylan is that the stuff he chose not to release is just as amazing as the stuff he did release. The bootlegs alone prove this. I've not listened to him in ages but i'm stuck doing my work tonight and listening to 'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan' is a wonderful treat.
al_
(some sketch)
556 IQ
Quote by European Son
^I don't know, I haven't heard all of his music (too damn much). Still, he's been around for more than 40 years now and have recorded almost one record/year. It's kinda hard to maintain quality with that kind of quantity. I mean, sure, he could be like freakin Radiohead and spend 2 years recording one album. But that wouldn't be Dylan, would it?

All I'm sayin' is that while some artists release three records in three years, some artist record a lot longer. It's all preference.

EDIT: What I mean is; the more songs you write, the more bad songs you will write (and good ones too, of course).

Im fully aware of that. Thats exactly where my beef with him lies.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
dionysus85
The Hoochie Coochie Man
241 IQ
Quote by Chris_Sleeps
The interesting thing about Dylan is that the stuff he chose not to release is just as amazing as the stuff he did release

too true
IMO a few of his best songs are blind willie mctell, mama you been on my mind and let me die in my footsteps

they've been released on some official bootelgs and are easy enough to find, check em out, their 3 of his best
Quote by MountainJam
How do i contract brain damage?
Cptbeefheart
UG's Captain of Beef
33 IQ
Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Bringing it All Back Home, The Times They Are A-Changin', Basement Tapes, Desire....

I could go on forever.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
heaven's gate
Banned
522 IQ
hm ok, but could you recommend at least two that would be best for someone who is relatively new to dylan?
mercedesisbenz
Cissy Strut
1,294 IQ
Quote by heaven's gate
hm ok, but could you recommend at least two that would be best for someone who is relatively new to dylan?

The Freewheelin', and Highway 61 Revisited.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Yeah they're by far his best work, Ballad of a thin man is amazing
Bluesbreaker7
Twee-pop aficionado
171 IQ
Quote by Carswell98
Yeah they're by far his best work
I'd disagree. Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, John Wesley Harding, Love and Theft and Bringing it All Back Home are all as good or better, and The Times They Are A-Changing, Another Side of Bob Dylan, Desire, Slow Train Coming and World Gone Wrong aren't far behind. Others are good too, and amazing in places.
beatleslova
I am Lucy in the sky
149 IQ
ok I'm really off subjet but people At my school are so strange. 3 out of like 20 knew who's Bob Dylan. When I first heard that I was so pissed . Blonde on Blonde and World Gone Wrong are my personal favorites but they' re all Great. Anyways, what do you guys think of His new album, Modern Times ?
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
I'd disagree. Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, John Wesley Harding, Love and Theft and Bringing it All Back Home are all as good or better, and The Times They Are A-Changing, Another Side of Bob Dylan, Desire, Slow Train Coming and World Gone Wrong aren't far behind. Others are good too, and amazing in places.

Yeah I'll go along with that i just prefer those two

I was disappointed with the single "someday baby" a reconstruction of a tired old blues song called trouble no more(don't get me wrong i love the blues), as always his song writing is amazing but as every album passes i find it harder to engage myself with his vocals
nz_matt
What about "Ghost Mutt?"
941 IQ
Not enough money
Quote by lachyray
blueindian
21 IQ
One of my favorite Dylan albums is "Nashville Skyline". It's not as popular as some of his other albums, and it's not lyricially as good, but I really like his voice when he briefly changed it. I also love his work with The Band.
FreeManson15
1,850 IQ
I didnt see a thread for him when I looked.

So yeah, Blonde On Blonde is the best album in my opinion.
FreeManson15
1,850 IQ
yeah, i hated blonde on blonde at first but then...idk it just clicked one day.
The Masterplan
Banned
1,505 IQ
cool songs but his voice....

oh and bob dylan istn't exactly classic rock...
FreeManson15
1,850 IQ
yeah i guess, its where hes usually put into though so whatever.