Page 4 of 46
^That video (which is the bee's knees) reminds me, for UK UGers: tomorrow (Sunday 14th) BBC 4's having a 'Dylan Night':

9PM: The Pure, the Bad and the Holy

"The Pure, The Bad And The Holy, a presentation of the diverse elements - protest, mountain music, blues and gospel that made up the catch all term 'folk'."

9.40: Arena - The Other Side of the Mirror

"Arena brings unseen performances from Bob Dylan to viewers screens in Murray Lerner's 'The Other Side of the Mirror- Bob Dylan at Newport'. The film contains a huge amount of unseen footage."

11: Arena - Dylan at the Madhouse

"Another chance to see the story of Dylan's first visit to Britain to take the lead in a Pintersque drama, The Madhouse on Castle Street."

12.10: Festival!

"Murray Lerner's cult classic, a portrait of Newport Festival with a who's who of great names of folk."

Just a heads-up in case you weren't aware.
Quote by tricksee
yeh i saw Bob last year in Cardiff, the show was okay, different than what i'd hoped though. He was kinda like a zombie haunched over a keyboard. looking miserable as hell. no energy in him. I mean at least Jagger and Springsteen give 100%

maybe Bob doesnt need to give 100% to create a good show. i was happy enough to be under the same roof as him.

still good music and a great experience.

"bob did for the mind what Elvis did for the body" << i cant remember who said that, cool though

bruce springsteen said that.

and can anyone find the video for me where bob dylan is sing tambourine man and hes singing it alot more harsh than usual. The camera is very tight on him to. I think its from the 66 tour, not sure though.
If there is any expert on here, I'd just like to know...

Bob's acclaimed 'Bringing It All Back Home' (Side 1 featured his first studio recordings with an electric band, if I've gotten my facts straight) is in my opinion a great album. However, my vinyl issue of this album has it called ''Subterranean Homesick Blues''. Is this some spelling error maybe (It was printed in the Netherlands) or some early copy?

Thanks for any answer I might get!

And by the way, of course I love Dylan! His live performance in 1966 (The Bootleg Series Vol. 4) is amazing, and you can really feel the power when some ''fan'' yells 'Judas!'... And then Bob just looses it

''Play it ****ing loud!''
Quote by Highway 61 Revisited
Oh God said to Abraham, kill me a son
Abe said man you must be puttin me on
God said no, Abe said what
God said you can do what you want Abe but
Next time you see me coming you better run
Well, Abe said where you want this killin done
God said out on highway 61

Quite humorous.
Blood on the Tracks totally rocked my world the first time I heard it.
Death to Ovation haters!
I absolutely love Bob Dylan and his music.

I don't know how to describe it, I've always just really enjoyed listening to his music and his lyrics.
take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship, my senses have been stripped.
I know what you mean. There's definitely something about Bob Dylan's music that appeals to me, I just can't explain what it is. A lot of his music's very simple and not very complex, but even on his early recordngs he manages to create a almost magical atmosphere with just a few chords and a harmonica. He is, simply put, awesome.
Quote by PatchworkMan

I reckon it's his most emotionally honest album, it's Dylan laid bare.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

<3<3<3

Love and Theft is one of my favourite Dylan albums, along with the usual mid sixties culprits. I can't stick 'Modern Times', though. "All songs written by Bob Dylan"? ._.
I've really been listening to Bringing It All Back Home alot lately. What an album. Same it's left out of the "Best Dylan Album?" discussions most of the time.

I'm listening to "Maggie's Farm" Live at Newport right now.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by PatchworkMan

Isn't that a ****ing awesome record? I listen to it all the time now, I just can't get enough!
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by RHCP94
Same it's left out of the "Best Dylan Album?" discussions most of the time.

Is it?
All the Dylan freaks around where I live agree it's a phenomenal record.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.

Quote by bodyheatseeker
Is it?
All the Dylan freaks around where I live agree it's a phenomenal record.

Well, so is most of his catologe, but when people talk about the best, I usually only hear Blood On the Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde On Blonde.

Anyone else itching to see I'm Not There? It looks fuckin' amazing. Sonic Youth's cover of the song I'm Not There is also really good. I'm watchin' No Direction Home: Bob Dylan on VH1 right now. Damn, that's one long documentry. Five hours with commercials.
Quote by lounge act
The lyrics to The Times They Are A-Changin' is probably the best thing I've ever read. I've always listened to the song, but when I actually read the lyrics without any music I was amazed.

My favorite Dylan lyrics are probably "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleedin').

While preachers preach of evil fates
Teachers teach that knowledge waits
Can lead to hundred-dollar plates
Goodness hides behind its gates
But even the President of the United States
Sometimes must have
To stand naked.
Quote by RHCP64
Anyone else itching to see I'm Not There? It looks ****in' amazing. Sonic Youth's cover of the song I'm Not There is also really good. I'm watchin' No Direction Home: Bob Dylan on VH1 right now. Damn, that's one long documentry. Five hours with commercials.

Yeah I'm planning on seeing it sometime soon, should be good.
I haven't seen No Direction Home - heard it was good. I watched the Newport Folk Festival doc on PBS a few nights ago - I wasn't riveted but I wasn't bored. I'll probably have to buy the DVD to get the full effect.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Sloopy
Yeah I'm planning on seeing it sometime soon, should be good.
I haven't seen No Direction Home - heard it was good. I watched the Newport Folk Festival doc on PBS a few nights ago - I wasn't riveted but I wasn't bored. I'll probably have to buy the DVD to get the full effect.

WHAT???? you havent seen NDH?

its like a dylan biography only in picture frames. It comes on alot on pbs and vh1 sometimes so try and catch it then. I kinda liked dont look back better though cause it was less of a biography and more of a tour documentary, shwing his day to day tour life kinda.

and my dad bought me this book and its a real good interview book on dylan. It has all the classics.

Hey has anyone heard the Dylan album 'Knocked out loaded'? Is it any good?

Also.....is the Bob Dylan Chronicles: Vol1 book worth buying? I read part of it in the library when it first came out but I didn't get far but I saw it in a charity shop for a few quid so I might try it again.

Cheeerz.
i saw im not there there the other day and it was really good. anyone else see it?
Is 'Oh Mercy' worth it?

Edit: Actually, if it isn't, could someone recommend me something from Dylan's later career? I've kinda grown to like that hoarse voice of his.
Last edited by trackmind at Dec 18, 2007,
Can I ask why 'Sign on the Window' is so over-looked?

Its's possibly my favorite Dylan track of all time, and it's so good..You'd think it'd be another fan favorite/classic.
Quote by trackmind
Is 'Oh Mercy' worth it?

Edit: Actually, if it isn't, could someone recommend me something from Dylan's later career? I've kinda grown to like that hoarse voice of his.

Oh Mercy is definitely worth it in my opinion. You also must get Time Out Of Mind if you don't already, its up there with the classic Dylan albums and "Love and Theft" is almost as good.
Zeppelin Rule!!!!!!!!
Has anyone seen I''m not there yet? It's being released in British cinema's on Friday. I've seen some lcips of it and it looks quite promising. Especially Cate Blanchett as Dylan. Looks very real.
Quote by radio_schizo
is the Bob Dylan Chronicles: Vol1 book worth buying?

Yes, yes it is.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.

Quote by Just_Dan2
Has anyone seen I''m not there yet? It's being released in British cinema's on Friday. I've seen some lcips of it and it looks quite promising. Especially Cate Blanchett as Dylan. Looks very real.

i saw it and its very good. half the movie is lifted from bob dylan interviews.
I think Planet waves is one of my all time favourite albums, the two takes of forever young back to back is just so funny to me, and the fact that thats the song he sings on The Last waltz just mkes it so much cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il-WqilLCPM&feature=related

I think the term genius is thrown around way too much but Dylan deffinately deserves the title
pink floyd are better than you
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Alright, fuck. Let's try this again.

Whose heard 'Sign on the Window'?

ME!
Zeppelin Rule!!!!!!!!
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Fuckin' a, it's about time.

Don't you just love it? Why is it so under-appreciated?

I do love it. Maybe its under-appreciated because "New Morning" isn't one of his classics, so not many people have heard it. Although the song still managed to sneak it's way into an episode of Friends, which is pretty well known
Zeppelin Rule!!!!!!!!
Masters Of War is a great song, really powerful, in my opinion.
Dylan seems to be the only person who can give justice to a song like that, it's something about his voice.
Last edited by Sunny Afternoon at Dec 24, 2007,
Quote by minitruckssuck
I do love it. Maybe its under-appreciated because "New Morning" isn't one of his classics, so not many people have heard it. Although the song still managed to sneak it's way into an episode of Friends, which is pretty well known

Lawl, thats where I heard it!

But yeah, I love New Morning, it's probably my favorite from him. 'The Man in Me' is another great one.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Lawl, thats where I heard it!

But yeah, I love New Morning, it's probably my favorite from him. 'The Man in Me' is another great one.

Indeed it is. I Really like the title track.
Zeppelin Rule!!!!!!!!
Alright, I can get one album. Should I buy modern times? I really like how in some songs like subterrenian blues and like a rolling stone how it sounds really upbeat and modern even though they aren't some of his newer works. But I'm sure I'd love his newer works just as much.
Quote by minitruckssuck
Indeed it is. I Really like the title track.

Yeah, me too. The entire album is really solid.

Twist of fate, go out and do yourself a favour, buy New Morning (1970).