I think anyone can sing whilst strumming, but when it comes down to playing a more complex rythym or sequence of notes it becomes harder. Please if you have any advice do comment thanx xxx
once I got the lyrics really in my head, its not that hard to sing and play complex patterns at the same time
Stop trying to concentrate on both at the same time.

Get one part perfected so that you don't have to think about it then just add the other part in on top of that. (Either singing or playing in whatever order you want)
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Jul 21, 2007,
Practice, practice, practice....
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Quote by La Qotsa
Get one part perfected so that you don't have to think about it then just add the other part in on top of that. (Either singing or playing in whatever order you want)

I was gonna say that myself. That seems to me the smartest and most logical way to go about it (and that's how I personally do it).
Try learning the guitar part first, until you know it well enough that you can concentrate on other things while playing it. Once you've got that down, you can try adding the vocals over it. Over vice versa I guess, but I find learning the guitar part first to generally be the easiest.
And of course, like Mynabull said, practice practice practice.
yeah you have to get to a point of not thinking about it. it just happens. eventually you will be able to get to this point a lot quicker. it just takes practice and experience.
I wrote this article and its yet to be accepted as a lesson which is kinda pissing me off. So read it, and it will help you. If a MT mod reads this top part, then go to the UG contribution forum and help me out by making this a lesson. I think it would help people out a lot because the question is asked a lot in many forums.

Singing & Playing

So you have a guitar and what you consider to be a decent voice. Now you’re asking yourself what you are going to do with these 2 things. Well, you’ve come to the right place. Here I will explain a few techniques that you can use to master singing and playing at the same time.

I am going to start with the guitar aspect of these 2 things. When singing while playing guitar, you are mostly playing chords or a simple riff. Not many people can shred the guitar and sing at the same time, so don’t expect to do that.

So now you have all these chords figured out or the riff nailed. Now the key is to be able to play without singing first. You should figure out how the rhythm of the guitar goes along with the song. If you are doing a cover song, play with the recording. If it is an original song, then just play those chords or the riff.

If you have the playing part down pat, and you can do it in your sleep, try to sing the song you are doing without playing guitar. Now same with the guitar part, if you are doing a cover song, sing along with that. If it is original, try singing it just solo. You should have the words memorized by this point. By having the words memorized, you don’t have to really pay attention to them anymore. Also, have the dynamics of the song down if there are any. Dynamics are really what make a song all the better.

By this point, you have the guitar chords memorized or the riff down, and your lyrics to the song are basically memorized. Now they don’t have to be all perfect, as you are going to sing and play some more when putting it together. So it will come all together in the end. However, it’s good to have an idea of what you are doing. Now for this part there are 2 methods that I will recommend when putting it all together.

-Method 1 - Sing through the song once with no guitar. Then for the second time through, play each chord once whenever it is said to be played. With doing this, you will get a feel for playing and singing at the same time. This method works mostly on the voice, but adds the chords for a good feel of the song and how it should be. Once you do this a few times, you are likely ready to add the strumming to the mix. If you can’t get all the way through the song, then look at what you are doing wrong, and make adjustments. Whether this be just going over the chords again, or the singing. The key is to take this slow when you are just learning how to sing and play at the same time.

-Method 2 - Play the song through just strumming the chords or the riff. Then next time through, it’s easiest to just hum the words so you get a good feel of the song and the tune. You can do this several times if needed, or just a few until you get the feel of the song. From there, you can go all out with playing and singing.

These are only 2 methods that I find work quite well. There are obviously many more and you can mix it up to get the maximum benefit. For more experienced singers, I recommend method 1. For more experienced guitar players, I recommend method 2.

Once you can do that, congratulations, you are now able to sing and play guitar at the same time. Not many people are capable of doing his. So now you wonder what you can do with this. Well you must play of course. Go into your music library and find music you want to strum along to and sing, and work your magic.

There is no limit to what songs you can play. It doesn't matter if the song is not acoustic or meant to be chords, you can change it up. Often taking harder songs and finding the chords for them does the trick. Just add your own flavor to it. Also, for those of you that are involved with church, there are limitless things you can do. Playing worship music is about the best way to practice singing and playing as you know how the song goes already. It’s just a matter of plugging it all in.

So look around for what style you are into, and don’t be afraid to let your voice free. That’s what this is all about. Just letting go of all your inhibitions and singing and play guitar for the joy of not only yourself, but for people around you as well. You are opening a whole new world of music to yourself so all the best with it.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Last edited by justin_fraser at Jul 21, 2007,