what does latency mean? i have an US-122 Tascam interface to hook up my guitar and keyboard to my laptop to record and on the settings for the interface on the computer it has a bar that says 'latency' and you can either change it to 256, 512, 1024, 2048

what do these settings mean and how to they affect the interface w/ the guitar or keyboard i plug in??
latency is the time it take for a signal or a 'package' of information to travel from one point to another, usually expressed in milliseconds (ms)
so is there a certain reason for having these four different settings on the interface? like how would i know which one i'd need to use

basically, what is the point of them giving me four different options? what is special and different about each one of those four settings?
Those numbers are how many frames to use. The lower the number, the lower the latency, the higher the CPU load.

You want as low a latency as possible.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
It's lag, if you understand that term =/

EDIT: Or Ping
Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
if you want a the lowest latency possible, why do they give the option of having a high one? you see, there has to be a reason. i wouldn't write a program and have someone select the option 'do you want the program to run good? or do you want the program to run bad?'

so there must be a reason why they would give you this option.
Quote by eastbay36
if you want a the lowest latency possible, why do they give the option of having a high one? you see, there has to be a reason. i wouldn't write a program and have someone select the option 'do you want the program to run good? or do you want the program to run bad?'

so there must be a reason why they would give you this option.

In case your computer can't handle 64 frames, you would set it to something higher, like 1024, and get a higher latency, but smoother performance.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
how can i find out how many frames my computer can handle so i can make the right decision in selected the latency?
Trail+Error. Start with 128 and see if you get good performance.

I'm pretty sure your interface can handle that many frames. Stock sound cards like SB Live! or on-board chipsets can't handle anything below 512.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation