Ok, after talking to various people about upgrading my amp, they all say to go tube. My equipment pretty much sucks, squier and frontman 15g in that $280 guitar pack and a zoom 505 pedal.

I have around $250 to spend and im looking for a good sounding practice amp that can sound louder than the drums. Im acceptable with 5 watt amps.

I play mostly Led Zeppelin and some punk rock(good amount of palm muting), so i need a really powerful and distinctive sound. Im gonna play mostly on distortion. Im looking at the epiphone valve junior right now. Any other suggestions? Thanx!
that'd be great, just get an OD pedal with it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think the Epiphone Valve Junior is the ONLY way for you to go.

...unless if you're willing to go used and if you're willing to look around, too.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
You're going to struggle getting anything in that price range. :\

You'll have to look at used I think...
uhm, 5watts is a bit loud, but won't necessarily overpower the drums. if you do get a 5watter, hopefully your drummer can tone it down a bit.

this one's 5watts, but has more gain than the valve junior. and also has fantastic tone.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V8-Palomino-5W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825

also, i'm not sure when the peavey valveking royal 8 is supposed to be out, but it may be something to look into.

edit: yeah, also try to save up more, as your options grow bigger. also look used for a broader range of amps.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Jul 21, 2007,
Check out the Crate V8, and the Fender Champion 600 too.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by UnsignedRecords
uhm, 5watts is a bit loud, but won't necessarily overpower the drums. if you do get a 5watter, hopefully your drummer can tone it down a bit.

this one's 5watts, but has more gain than the valve junior. and also has fantastic tone.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V8-Palomino-5W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825

also, i'm not sure when the peavey valveking royal 8 is supposed to be out, but it may be something to look into.

edit: yeah, also try to save up more, as your options grow bigger. also look used for a broader range of amps.

the royal 8 is out. We've had one in our store for about three weeks. Honestly, it's a horrible amp, even when played with hi-gain stuff.

If you're trying to get a 5 watt amp, even if it's tube, to be heard distinctly over a drum set,you're looking at a cranked amp with maybe even an OD pedal or a pedal like MXR's Micro Gain or a Keeley Katana and a lot of feedback. You should look used or maybe increase your budget.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Last edited by wmzbomgzors at Jul 21, 2007,
Quote by UnsignedRecords

Best in class! Most features, largest speaker.

But with $250, I'd suggest you look around for something like a used Blues Jr. That's right around the price they can generally be had for, and 15W of power will do the job much better for you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by wmzbomgzors
the royal 8 is out. We've had one in our store for about three weeks. Honestly, it's a horrible amp, even when played with hi-gain stuff.

oh damn. i really haven't been amp browsing in a while... hah.
Quote by slatsmania
Best in class! Most features, largest speaker.

But with $250, I'd suggest you look around for something like a used Blues Jr. That's right around the price they can generally be had for, and 15W of power will do the job much better for you.

if there were more space in your sig you should put "i am slats, and i approve of the crate palomino series *big thumbs up* " haha.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008