hey uh im lookin at the Alixi-260 but its made of basswood and wonderin if its and good(For melodic black/death metal stuff)
Setup::::

Jackson X-Series V Crimson Swirl
Line 6 Spider II Head 150w
Crate cabnet
Death Metal Distortion(Sum times)
Digitech effects stacker(Sum times)
Jim Dunlop 1mm Nylon knifed up picks(better grip)
A lot of metal guitars seem to use basswood, even a few expensive ones (including the Jem I think.) I don't play metal but I have a basswood MIJ Strat that sounds amazing. The tone of basswood is somewhere between that of Alder and Mahogany. Very balanced. It generally doesn't have such an attractive grain so most guitars will be painted. Not as heavy as mahogany. It is softer (although it is still classified as a hard wood) so it will ding more easily.
Most of Kirk Hammett's guitars are (EDIT* Alder, which is even brighter than basswood), if that helps. There's nothing wrong with it by any standards. You could use an Alder guitar for black/death metal with the right pickups and amp.
Last edited by Edamr at Jul 23, 2007,
My current guitar is Basswood and they go really well with EMG Pickups. It will be fine for metal. I play neo-classic/Power Metal now but I used to play death metal. It was fine.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.