I was just wondering if anyone has attempted to play their bass with a bow? I thought I might go and try that, but I'm not sure what kind of bow to use - violin, viola or cello/doublebass. I know that the cello/double bass probably use similar bows, but on an electric bass, I'm not sure it matters.

So, my questions are:

- Does playing electric bass with a bow sound any good?
- Do you have to use a specific tuning?
- What bow do I use?
-That's an opinion.
-It doesn't matter what tuning.
-It probably doesn't matter what bow you use.
Bass is my life.
it sounds pretty sweet, hard to get a consistent tone with it
and as for a special tuning, that's completely uselss, since the only strings you can attack is the E (if you're good) and G....i really only had luck with stuff on the G string...and you have to bow at an angle under the horn of the bass....

now

GUITARISTS can use a different technique, but it sounds like S*$T on a bass
some (such as the guitarist from Sigur Ros) bow all 6 strings at one time while fretting a chord, i understand it takes a lot of practice to be good at that, but i can tell you it doesn't sound very good on a bass

guitarists usually use violin, viola, or possibly cello bows

but if you're going to do this on an electric bass, you're about going to need a bass bow (which can be sorta expensive)
i mean you can use a ligter bow, but you'll go through it pretty fast

when it comes down to it, it only looks cooler than it sounds
just put that money towards an E-BOW +, much more reliable and cooler sounding
Wouldn't it damage the bow?

Surely there must be a youtube vid of someone trying this?
theres an old led zeppelin video for that 'how many more times' song. it's the guitarist though. :\

but that would be a stunt, like putting on makeup and using a real axe to play bass. it ruins my purist tendencies. i will not do such a thing.

if you messed around with the bridge you could make every string playable, but it would probably sound like ****...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The upright's fingerboard is more radiused then an electric, and you more than likely wouldn't be able to bow properly without hitting other strings. As was said before, the eBow was pretty much made for this exact application. No attack, infinite sustain, and thick tone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The upright's fingerboard is more radiused then an electric, and you more than likely wouldn't be able to bow properly without hitting other strings. As was said before, the eBow was pretty much made for this exact application. No attack, infinite sustain, and thick tone.

This is correct, I had an old battered bow lying around so I thought "hmmm why not try it on my bass" but trying to reach the A and D strings was almost impossible because there is just not enough radius and you end up bowing the E or G.

And the e-bow is good fun.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
hahaha use a double bass bow its stronger than violin and can prolly take the larger strings better. and just buy a crap bow, cause the horse hair will be ruined anyways. *jimmy paige copy*
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
If you do decide to use a bow make sure you don't get the rosin on your electronics. I've heard it can ruin them by messing with the connections. Something about the rosin dust not being conductive.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

It'll buzz like hell because the action is low and you'll be pushing the strings even closer to the fingerboard with your bow. When you use a bow the string vibration is a lot wider than when you pluck, so that will contribute to buzz. Also, if you have roundwounds on it'll probably shred the bow up. I might try it later though and tell you guys about it.
Got Bass?
Quote by Charlatan_001
Okay... now to hunt for a used eBow! Thanks guys

Yeah, good luck with that, from what I understand they aren't sold everywhere and aren't the cheapest.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by deanwad
anyone know where i can find an ebow?

eBow? eBay.

I saw one in Sam Ash as well.
Quote by Cody_Grey102