View poll results: HSS or SSS?
SSS
27 30%
HSS
63 70%
Voters: 90.
Page 1 of 3
Hi guys
As my first electric guitar, I'm planning to buy a fender stratocaster. Just want to decide between HSS and SSS. What do you suggest?
SSS because it is more versatile.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by rooster456
Excuse me, what?

That's right, I said it. Must I explain myself?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^actually the HSS would be more versatile because you have access to a humbucker and single coils.

Also as a starter guitar i'd personally get the HSS so you can play a wider variety of music until you get another guitar. Especially if you're planning on playing metal get HSS you'll need the humbucker. However if you are really only going to play the blues, clean stuff, or stuff like Hendrix get teh SSS.
CGDAEG
Well, I guess I could see it.

I've always had coil tap's (sadly, not splits) on my guitars, so I could change between the 'bucker and single feel at a flip. So I'm 'bucker bias.
the humbuckers on a strat bridge doesn't sound like metal. its way too twangy. u need more hump on it. humbuckers are for short scaled guitars imo.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by pinkzep52
^actually the HSS would be more versatile because you have access to a humbucker and single coils.

Also as a starter guitar i'd personally get the HSS so you can play a wider variety of music until you get another guitar. Especially if you're planning on playing metal get HSS you'll need the humbucker. However if you are really only going to play the blues, clean stuff, or stuff like Hendrix get teh SSS.

Here I go again

If you are playing metal, get a different guitar. You won't get metal out of a strat no matter what.

Quote by rooster456
Well, I guess I could see it.

I've always had coil tap's (sadly, not splits) on my guitars, so I could change between the 'bucker and single feel at a flip. So I'm 'bucker bias.

With coil split, you'll never get the true single coil tone. Plus, I don't know what pots come in a Fat Strat, but if it's 250's, you'll have a week sounding humbucker, that sounds alot like the middle pickup, and lacks the twanginess you'd get with a bridge single, so, no benefit. If it comes with 500's, the single coils will sound harsh, and more like buckers, thus losing your strat cleans.

SSS is more versatile, because you can get really clean tones, and with a little overdrive you'll be needing a change of underwhere. If wired properly, you kick it into position 2 or 4 to reduce hum while playing some heavier dist. Seems much more versatile to me.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
Here I go again

If you are playing metal, get a different guitar. You won't get metal out of a strat no matter what.

With coil split, you'll never get the true single coil tone. Plus, I don't know what pots come in a Fat Strat, but if it's 250's, you'll have a week sounding humbucker, that sounds alot like the middle pickup, and lacks the twanginess you'd get with a bridge single, so, no benefit. If it comes with 500's, the single coils will sound harsh, and more like buckers, thus losing your strat cleans.

SSS is more versatile, because you can get really clean tones, and with a little overdrive you'll be needing a change of underwhere. If wired properly, you kick it into position 2 or 4 to reduce hum while playing some heavier dist. Seems much more versatile to me.

I think you're confusing taps and splits. Splits leave one coil running on full, taps just lower the output of the pickups, to give off the illusion of a single... or something to that effect. Double check me on this one guys.
no, he has it right. it makes sense. but you're right for the Splits being leaving just one coil running on full.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by rooster456
I think you're confusing taps and splits. Splits leave one coil running on full, taps just lower the output of the pickups, to give off the illusion of a single... or something to that effect. Double check me on this one guys.

Argh I'm so confused Anyway, I have coil split, and it sounds nothing like single coils, all it does is sound weaker, which is a useful tool to get cleaner sounds when I try tube amps at the stores, but most likely this guy won't get a tube amp, and the feature will be useless.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Yeah, I just looked it up.

Splitting actually does just that. It splits the Humbucker, leaving one coil running on full output, with one dead. It's a true single coil.

Tap just lowers the output, to immitate a single coil.

All in all, TS, if you want better overdriven, punk/metal/rock tones, go with the humbucker. If you're like me, and play Motown/Funk/Blues, and all that jazz, go SSS.
i say it's either an Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt top or a Fender Standard SSS Stratocaster.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Actually, if you have the money, look into Fender Player's Deluxe Strats. They're basically standards, but they have that wierd ass pot-switch on the volume knob. That takes care of any versatlity qualms.
Quote by CORT noob
SSS because it is more versatile.

no it isnt.

but SSS is better... with a noiseless in the bridge
Quote by Arlabester
no it isnt.

but SSS is better... with a noiseless in the bridge

For the first thing you said, I disagree!

For the second thing you said, have a beer
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

It's all about versatility my friend.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Thank you all. You gave me a lot of information.
About my style, actually I like any kind of music, even classic. I even play flamenco with my acoustic guitar. Well, I can not say I love metal, but sure I like Slash (November rain ) and some Metallica solos.
If you ask who my favorite band is, I would say Dire straits and Pink Floyd.
Thank you again. More ideas are still welcome.
Quote by ECistheBest
SSS because it's the classic.

+1
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
I find single coils have a lot more colour, especially with cleans which makes them a lot more pleasant, but with gain they just don't crunch - sure, I can get Deep Purple to SRV out of my neck pickup, but I've always found the bridge pickup on any Strat i've played to lack any sort of body and bass, and it really suffers with gain. I can get decent rhythm tones combining the bridge and middle and rolling off the tone knob, but then it has no cut. A humbucker would handle gain better with its extra body and output, while still having passable cleans as Strats are very bright guitars naturally.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Get an SSS but drop a hot pickup that doesn't drop the twang in the bridge. That way you can just flip on the bridge pickup and roll off some treble to play to heavier stuff.

The humbucker in my HSS strat sounds is too weak for anything intense enough to demand humbucker use. I think it's kind of a waste, because it kills the classic strat bridge twang. I'm kind of pissed I went with the HSS at this point, but I'm converting it to SSS as soon as I get the cash. (P.S. Can someone PM me about a good pickup like the one I'm talking about above?)
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Quote by CORT noob
Here I go again

Guess you forgot about Iron Maiden
put a p90 in the bridge
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by faramarz
Thank you all. You gave me a lot of information.
About my style, actually I like any kind of music, even classic. I even play flamenco with my acoustic guitar. Well, I can not say I love metal, but sure I like Slash (November rain ) and some Metallica solos.
If you ask who my favorite band is, I would say Dire straits and Pink Floyd.
Thank you again. More ideas are still welcome.

If you want to get tones similar to Mark Knopfler or David Gilmour you should go with the SSS. Though frankly I've never found the standard strat to be all that satisfying and would advise trying to pick up a Deluxe Players Strat or 60th Anniversary. If you can't find though/can't afford them consider the standard MIM Telecaster. While it won't do the strat tone perfectly it has more bite and twang in the bridge and a smoother, more pronounced bridge pickup.

Well that and I like the neck profile on Teles better.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Guess you forgot about Iron Maiden

I was thinking that too, though I saw a lesson with one of the guitarists and the Strat did sound pretty wierd with that style of music.
Quote by Wolfgang_'99
HSS Is better hands down. HH on the other hand tops them both. (Just my opinion)

How about taking an SSS and putting in 3 mini humbuckers?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Yeah thats what maiden has done. Those hot rails sound great too and still keep the real look of a strat!
Quote by ECistheBest
the humbuckers on a strat bridge doesn't sound like metal. its way too twangy. u need more hump on it. humbuckers are for short scaled guitars imo.

my legra V is 25.5", and if that doesn't sound metal, I don't know what does.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd get the HSS strat unless you don't plan on playing anything much heavier than classic rock (and even for some classic rock, a humbucker would be preferable).

if you're just starting off, you want the ability to get as many tones as possible from the one guitar. I bought plenty of stupid things when I was starting out, but the one thing I did right was to buy an HSH guitar. Granted, it won't sound as authentic as a strat, nor a les paul.

However, if you're starting off, you only have one guitar, so it makes no sense to get a slightly more authentic strat tone if it means you can't get the gibson tone AT ALL. Plus, if you're just starting off, your ears probably won't hear the subtleties betweem a split humbucker and a true single. It'll just sound thinner, which is what you want. Not to mention you'll probably have a starter amp which won't exactly be conducive to bringing out the natural tone of the guitar either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
[quote="CORT noob
[/QUOTE"]

The guys in Iron Maiden would like a word with you...
=w=
for a beginning guitar, i think you should def look into an hss strat. it is more versatile for playing many different styles and should be able to easily accommodate any genre(s) you want to play. i personally prefer sss strats, but they won't give you as wide an array of sounds (even if they do sound more classic and better imo).
Quote by Ferrarone
Quote by ECistheBest
SSS because it's the classic.

+1

good taste.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by climhazzard
for a beginning guitar, i think you should def look into an hss strat. it is more versatile for playing many different styles and should be able to easily accommodate any genre(s) you want to play. i personally prefer sss strats, but they won't give you as wide an array of sounds (even if they do sound more classic and better imo).

exactly. you get what i'm talking about. I realise that sss is the "classic" strat setup, but all the strat fanboys seem unwilling to accept that if you want a range of sounds, a bridge humbucker is better for that- even if you do slightly lose some of the classic strat tone. if you're only starting out you won't notice, but you probably will notice what you gain from having a bridge humbucker in there.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CORT noob

iron maiden anyone?
Quote by Dave_Mc
exactly. you get what i'm talking about. I realise that sss is the "classic" strat setup, but all the strat fanboys seem unwilling to accept that if you want a range of sounds, a bridge humbucker is better for that- even if you do slightly lose some of the classic strat tone. if you're only starting out you won't notice, but you probably will notice what you gain from having a bridge humbucker in there.

even if tone is diminished (something entirely subjective, but seems to be the basis of many sss arguments), that doesn't make the hss setup less versatile. for a beginner, tone matters less than learning what sound you love and what you want to do with your guitar. that isn't to say hss strats sound bad, many sound terrific, just less "classic". since you are looking for a beginner guitar, ts, and don't have a set sound that you want to aim for, i highly suggest an hss. or, better yet, go to a guitar store, try an sss and an hss out for yourself, and go from there. have fun!
Page 1 of 3