Page 1 of 2
I think of time changes, wierd time signatures, key changes, and any kind of music that is abnormal.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
the fact that its a new take on a style of music. prog-punk, prog-metal, prog-jazz are other examples. also, the people who play it occasionally wear capes
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
i read an interview with the guy from Portugal. The Man

i think he summed up what progressive means today to me...
"if you don't know what to call it, you call it progressive"

but yeah it's boundary-pushing sorta new stuff with usually lots of time/feel changes and stuff
it's a pretty vague genre...
i think of dream theater and rush, 2 fav prog bands
Gear
Epiphone Vintage Sunburst Les Paul Custom
Ibanez White Rg 120
Fender 40w Limited Edition Hot Rod Deluxe
+1 to Rush. DT is cool too, but not a personal fav. Also, listen to Yes, Genesis, King Crimson for other prog rock examples.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Sometimes the songs can be long, not repeat a lot of stuff, and have odd time signatures.
Quote by Mobius Man
+1 to Rush. DT is cool too, but not a personal fav. Also, listen to Yes, Genesis, King Crimson for other prog rock examples.

Pre '76 Genesis to be exact.

Being a prog-head I will try my best to answer this question.

Note: My definition can be applied to any genre of Prog (i.e. metal), I'm using rock as an example

Prog Rock is basically Rock music with an elevated form of musicianship. Complicated time signatures, theory induced music, virtuoso players, etc, etc. Prog goes deeper too, the songs will often be much longer (as long as 1 hour and up in some cases) and split into parts (a la Close to the Edge) The music is often very keyboard heavy (think Emerson Lake and Palmer) and it contains influences from many different genres (in alot of cases classical music as well as rock, aka Symphonic Prog)

Thats only the tip of the iceberg, I once submitted a 'Beginner's Guide to Prog Rock' but I was told I needed to fix it up and add a bit more before it could be put on the site, being as lazy as I am, I never did.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Yeah Progressive really comes down to pushing boundaries, trying to create complex song structures and rhythms.
Bands like Mars Volta are a great example of that, but on the more accessible side are bands like Coheed and Cambria, Circa Survive, and the RX Bandits.
Prog-metal is a little easier to pin down because of how complicated the time signatures get and how far a song can range during those 6+ minutes. Between the buried and me are definitely progressive along with bands like Sikth, Opeth, The Human Abstract.

The way I usually think about it is that progressive bands are so creative and talented that when they have enough music to make 5 songs, instead of making those 5 songs, they take bits from each of those songs and make it one.
Pink Floyd - particularly Shine On You Crazy Diamond and The Wall
Radiohead - My Iron Lung E.P. (well some of it at least), Kid A, Amnesiac

Quote by Doodleface

Prog Rock is basically Rock music with an elevated form of musicianship. Complicated time signatures, theory induced music, virtuoso players, etc, etc. Prog goes deeper too, the songs will often be much longer (as long as 1 hour and up in some cases) and split into parts (a la Close to the Edge) The music is often very keyboard heavy (think Emerson Lake and Palmer) and it contains influences from many different genres (in alot of cases classical music as well as rock, aka Symphonic Prog)

Great explanation

EDIT: you also have to be careful with distinguishing alternative rock from progressive rock. Progressive rock is a sub-genre of the sub-genre alternative rock, I guess, but albums like Origin of Symmetry by Muse are very close to being progressive rock, but just aren't. This album, and other similar albums are definitely alternative rock, not progressive rock. At least that's my opinion
Last edited by National_Anthem at Jul 23, 2007,
Quote by phoenix_88

"if you don't know what to call it, you call it progressive"

That's a brilliant description haha. It fits perfectly.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Also, progressive songs are... progressive, sometimes, literally. They change up to the end, like Day of the Baphomets of The Mars Volta. Sometimes they don't have the usual verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus and alike structures (Knights of Cydonia by Muse). The lyrics are sometimes about stuff that isn't talked usually, like spiritual or spacy stuff (most Tool stuff).

Prog isn't about musicmanship. Look at Tool. You have a great drummer and one of the technicly best voices ever. The guitarrist doesn't wank his fretboard and gives plenty use to power chords in drop D. The bassist isn't all that technique virtuoso, too. Although they aren't instrument onanists, like DT, they know how to create musics with great ambience.
Last edited by k*CMYK at Jul 23, 2007,
Quote by k*CMYK
Also, progressive songs are... progressive, some times, literally. They change until the end, like Day of the Baphomets of The Mars Volta. Sometimes they don't have the usual verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus and alike structures (Knights of Cydonia by Muse). The lyrics are sometimes about stuff that isn't talked usually, like spiritual or spacy stuff (most Tool stuff).

read above post. And if one of their songs had to be progressive, it would be Citizen Erased.

Quote by Kurapica
That's a brilliant description haha. It fits perfectly.

Again, read above post. That description fits alternative rock better imo
read above post. And if one of their songs had to be progressive, it would be Citizen Erased.

Knights is prog too.

If not, neo-prog (which is something like radio-friendly prog).

And alternative rock is something like grunge. It's a movement of music, you can't compare bands within it. Can you compare Pearl Jam and Nirvana and compare Muse and Jeff Buckley (Sketches album)? They both belong in a big group but aren't nothing alike. Well, prog is almost the same. Compare Pink Floyd to Tool...
Quote by k*CMYK
Knights is prog too.

If not, neo-prog (which is something like radio-friendly prog).

I agree. But thats a bit of a contradiction. As soon as something is popular, or radio-friendly, its just not progressive.
Edit: I just read your edited post, I never said you could compare the bands within it. Alternative rock is about being different, something outside the mainstream.
Last edited by National_Anthem at Jul 23, 2007,
knights is a great song but its not progressive, it's pretty close but muse isn't progressive. As for progressive not being popular what about Coheed? They managed to break that barrier and they fit the progressive mold really well.
I love Prog rock, and I pretty much have all my life. My dad gave me a rush cassette when I was like 6 or 7. I've heard a lot about the new day "Prog Rock", and I love what I have heard. I have all of the Mars Volta's music, even if they aren't technically progressive, their music reminds me of it a lot, and many people call them that.

Anyway, I have been hearing a lot about Portugal the Man, and I listened to the only CD I could find on napster free, and liked it. So I figured I would go buy one, can anyone suggest their best?

And what are some other bands around now along the lines of Mars Volta, Portugal, Rush, Dream Theater, and other Progressive?
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Lightitup
I love Prog rock, and I pretty much have all my life. My dad gave me a rush cassette when I was like 6 or 7. I've heard a lot about the new day "Prog Rock", and I love what I have heard. I have all of the Mars Volta's music, even if they aren't technically progressive, their music reminds me of it a lot, and many people call them that.

Anyway, I have been hearing a lot about Portugal the Man, and I listened to the only CD I could find on napster free, and liked it. So I figured I would go buy one, can anyone suggest their best?

And what are some other bands around now along the lines of Mars Volta, Portugal, Rush, Dream Theater, and other Progressive?

Like I already said, later Radiohead stuff, e.g. after The Bends era (although there are some prog songs on that) are really great. Thom Yorke's solo stuff is fairly progressive too. Other than that and the bands you already mentioned, I'm not sure.
Quote by National_Anthem
I agree. But thats a bit of a contradiction. As soon as something is popular, or radio-friendly, its just not progressive.
Edit: I just read your edited post, I never said you could compare the bands within it. Alternative rock is about being different, something outside the mainstream.

It's possible for it to be radio-friendly and prog at the same time. Look, KoC is a somewhat long song (6minutes), doesn't have a regular structure and evolves up to the end, but the sound is just.. ear pleasing and not "hard-earing" like some other prog bands.

There aren't prog bands "around lines", they are all diferent, but you can try to check Tool, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Isis (somewhat prog). I could sugest Underworld which has prog-house and prog-techno songs, but I doubt you'll like... |:

Like I already said, later Radiohead stuff, e.g. after The Bends era (although there are some prog songs on that) are really great. Thom Yorke's solo stuff is fairly progressive too. Other than that and the bands you already mentioned, I'm not sure.

Wtf, The Bends isn't progressive... Probably the only progressive song Radiohead have is Paranoid Android.
I love Radiohead already, and Thom Yorke's solo stuff I have. Same with Pink Floyd, and a very little bit of King Crimson, I need more.

Thanks everyone, I have a lot of friends who like Tool, and I've only heard a llittle. They are definitely one I think I would like. And Isis I've never heard of I'll check them out too.
Guitar:
Amplifier:
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Be sure to check Third Eye live, from Salival, and 10.000 Days (the song) by Tool.
Quote by k*CMYK
Wtf, The Bends isn't progressive... Probably the only progressive song Radiohead have is Paranoid Android.

I said post-bends stuff. Kid A etc. The prog rock song on The Bends is My Iron Lung, and stuff like The Trickster on My Iron Lung E.P.
I can't think of one radiohead song that could be seen as progressive. Experimental? yes definitely, but not progressive.
Quote:

The new circa survive album is phenomenal, and its pretty accessible yet still complex. The fall of troy is a pretty good modern progressive band, protest the hero too.

One other major influence to the progressive genre that I don't think has been named yet is Mahavishnu orchestra
Quote by Rufiothebandito
I can't think of one radiohead song that could be seen as progressive. Experimental? yes definitely, but not progressive.

Wouldn't you say experimental and progressive are pretty much the same thing. One definitely encompasses the other.
Some friend says progressive rock is 'nerd' rock.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Experimental doesn't necessarily mean progressive, for example, the sounds of animals fighting is a very experimental band but the typical progressive characteristics don't really exist, ie: complex timing, intricate riffs and multiple sections and segues in any given song.
the closest band that could be called experimental and progressive at the same time is Mars Volta, but Radiohead doesn't have the same complexity, when I think Radiohead I think less is more, very much like pink floyd, where there's a lot of ambient noise during tracks.
Why must people label music?
I honestly don't think any type of music can truly be defined.
Quote by groovymr1337

Yeah man, let's just call it all music. Then when people ask what you listen to, you can just say music.

Guitar:
Amplifier:
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Lightitup
Yeah man, let's just call it all music. Then when people ask what you listen to, you can just say music.

Or you could name some bands. I just dont think everyone's labels has to be the same. For example, some people consider Led Zep metal. I don't. I consider it hard rock. There is no "right" answer, so I think arguing about it is kind of pointless.
I used to hate labels but I like them now because it gives you a better idea of what to expect.

For instance if someone said check out dillinger escape plan (and I hadn't heard of them) and the person said they're cool, it's music, I'd be unintrigued,

but if they said check out DEP it's Math-metal I'd check them out.
I know thats a base example but using labels helps you weed out genre's you've heard and don't like or ones that you love and want to hear more of.
That makes no sense to me, there is no right answer that's true. But that doesn't mean we just don't "label" anything. That is the fun part of theory, and melodies, and how different chords work with different leads. It makes different sounds that we CAN label.

Or else it would just all be music. I agree with Rufio, then I could be like "Yo check out Lil Bow Wow! I love him and Led Zeppelin!" Wow, maybe they are similiar! No...not at all. We need a way to distinguish music from other types of experimental crap.
Guitar:
Amplifier:
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
For example, some people consider Led Zep metal.

You've been hanging with the wrong crowd.
Quote by Lightitup
That makes no sense to me, there is no right answer that's true. But that doesn't mean we just don't "label" anything. That is the fun part of theory, and melodies, and how different chords work with different leads. It makes different sounds that we CAN label.

Or else it would just all be music. I agree with Rufio, then I could be like "Yo check out Lil Bow Wow! I love him and Led Zeppelin!" Wow, maybe they are similiar! No...not at all. We need a way to distinguish music from other types of experimental crap.

Yeah, I'm not saying labeling it is wrong, but arguing over the labels? That's kind of stupid.
Quote by groovymr1337
Yeah, I'm not saying labeling it is wrong, but arguing over the labels? That's kind of stupid.

Now THAT I can agree with.
Guitar:
Amplifier:
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by groovymr1337

I'd of thought it was obvious o.O

So we can find out what we like and then find more stuff like that. If there were no genre's and no definitions, I would'nt of been able to find the majority of bands that I listen to.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Page 1 of 2