Page 1 of 2
So my dad and I had some time to kill, since my brother was at a birthday party and my mom was driving my other brother to summer camp. So we went to Guitar Center, which was pretty close by, so I could mess around with some Tele's (awesome guitar by the way).

Anyway, we walked in, and we hear this HORRIBLE racket. It's some wanker playing an Explorer through an MG. This guy is a Lamb of God fan (nothing against them), and all he was playing was muted notes like LoG does. And an occasional pinch harmonic.

AHH.

He wouldn't stop. Anyway, I plugged the Tele I was playing into a Mesa, and I shredded him out with the solo to Money and some Hendrix stuff. This is one of the reasons I like smaller music shops. Not as many shitty players come in them. Anyway, do any of you have similar experiences and want to vent your anger?
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
You played a tele through a mesa?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Umm...not really.

Props on the tele comment, i love mine!!!

and...the whole playing metal thing...well, it's personal preference. I don't like playing/listening to that stuff, but there's other people that do and u should respect that.

On another thing...eh, how can u shred those songs? i mean...last time i checked, Hendrix didn't shred.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Every time I walk into Guitar Center I hear the same pentatonic generic wankage. There's so many people who think the pentatonic is the only scale ugh.

And there's always the metalcore/hardcore kid who does nothing but palm mutes and pinches.
WHooooaaa! You shredded him out with the solo to Money and some Hendrix stufff!!!
LoG dude was probably not paying any attention to you since your daddy was there.

I can't stand it when people feel they need to try to show off at music stores.
Last edited by Siciliano at Jul 22, 2007,
Quote by Papathurzday
Every time I walk into Guitar Center I hear the same pentatonic generic wankage. There's so many people who think the pentatonic is the only scale ugh.

And there's always the metalcore/hardcore kid who does nothing but palm mutes and pinches.

Nothing wrong with the Pentatonic scale, I'd much rather hear that than sloppy sweeps and tremolo picking.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
wait...

ts, do you live in washington?
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
I didn't really shred or anything, you know what I mean. Although it could be considered shredding to that guy, all he did was palm mute. I didn't really show off either. I was kind of exaggerating.

Also, I like metal, I'm into Metallica and even some LoG stuff, but this guy was terrible. He had the MG cranked up all the way, and another guy was doing the same thing on a Crate halfstack, both palm muting their way to making me want to impale them with the explorer the first dude was playing.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Last edited by ebbbaaa at Jul 22, 2007,
Quote by ebbbaaa
I didn't really shred or anything, you know what I mean. Although it could be considered shredding to that guy, all he did was palm mute. I didn't really show off either. I was kind of exaggerating.

Yeah....anyway

Don't take it wrong, but the whole "you shredding him out" part makes u seem more of an ass than what u try to make that "wanker" look like. He was just playing, that's it.

You seem like an ass. Maybe that kid had just recently started playing. It's people like you that need to stop being ignorant assholes.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Op3th
You seem like an ass. Maybe that kid had just recently started playing. It's people like you that need to stop being ignorant assholes.

When did I say it was a kid? It was some dude possibly in college, way older than me. Also, he had his amp TURNED ALL THE WAY UP. He could've been a little less obnoxious.
Quote by ebbbaaa
When did I say it was a kid? It was some dude possibly in college, way older than me. Also, he had his amp TURNED ALL THE WAY UP. He could've been a little less obnoxious.

lol i went into gc with my friend recently and he did just that. actually, he was playing on an mg and then went to the crate halfstack. i was rockin the fenders while my brother was in the bass room. we all kept talking about how much he sucked ass.

then some guy came in and kicked his ass on a vox. it was funny as hell.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Quote by ebbbaaa

U don't need to be a kid to start playing an instrument u know...

Quote by ebbbaaa

the volume thing may have v been obnoxious, but his age should not make you think he should be good. People do start guitar at ages other than 12 or whatever. My friends dad started at 45.

EDIT: Beat to it by the guy above me :P
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
I know I kinda sound like a douche, but him being bad isn't what I'm complaining about. I'm complaining about him having his friggin' volume all the way up. I probably haven't made that clear enough though, sorry.
yeah i was at the GC in sacramento,ca last weekend to check out a gibson double neck SG but some kids were using that area, showing each other the "kool" sounds they could make with the whammy bar on the firebird they had, so i didnt get a chance to get in there. while i was waiting for them to leave, a GC worker was playing on a marshall full stack (moderatly quietly) when i noticed what he was playing: the intro to beavis and butthead!!! it was hilarious, i dont think anyone else knew what it was.

then he got tired of that, and the whammy dives, and turned it up a bunch and started playing cemetary gates, which was wicked too. it was too loud that day for anything, so i went to a futon store ftw.
Member #78 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

Originally Posted by Gibson_Rocker13
why the hell would you worship satan if hes gunna torture the **** out of you.
Why didn't you just go over and talk to him? The fact that you felt compelled to try and show him up makes me think you may want to reign in your competitive impulses. There are a lot of great guitar players out there. After I spent a few years thinking I was good a 12 year old boy came into my garage and just handed me my ass on guitar. I learned a valuable lesson. I understand how you felt and I am not dissing you. Most guitar players make similar misjudgements at some time in their life.
Honestly, I am that wanker. Last time I went into GC I was doing the tapping part of Eddie Van Halens eruption solo, for about an hour strait on different guitars seeing what taps best... Sorry haha
Quote by ebbbaaa
I know I kinda sound like a douche, but him being bad isn't what I'm complaining about. I'm complaining about him having his friggin' volume all the way up. I probably haven't made that clear enough though, sorry.

yea im gonna have to agree that its pretty annoying. i can think of a few occasions where ive been trying to tune a guitar by ear and then someone cranks an amp up so loud and starts trying to shred. and u cant hear the dam guitar no matter how hard u pick. and u just want to walk over to them and hit them in the head. its just common courtesy when your in a public place like that. you dont just go in there like your the only one in a dam store. i mean if u want to try an amp go for it. but dont turn it up so loud that people across the store cant hear what they are trying to play.
^ someone agrees with me. I'm a rythm player, 1st and foremost. I'll play a few chords, simple riffs, etc. Every shredder idiot thinks I should suck him of because he's so good. HEy, you play what you want, I'll play what is real. Thanks.
Maybe he wanted to hear how it sounded cranked up. I know before I buy an amp, that's what I'll do. Who wants to spend money on an amp just to find out it sounds like garbage cranked up when you get it home?
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
Quote by ebbbaaa
So my dad and I had some time to kill, since my brother was at a birthday party and my mom was driving my other brother to summer camp. So we went to Guitar Center, which was pretty close by, so I could mess around with some Tele's (awesome guitar by the way).

Anyway, we walked in, and we hear this HORRIBLE racket. It's some wanker playing an Explorer through an MG. This guy is a Lamb of God fan (nothing against them), and all he was playing was muted notes like LoG does. And an occasional pinch harmonic.

AHH.

He wouldn't stop. Anyway, I plugged the Tele I was playing into a Mesa, and I shredded him out with the solo to Money and some Hendrix stuff. This is one of the reasons I like smaller music shops. Not as many shitty players come in them. Anyway, do any of you have similar experiences and want to vent your anger?

which gc was it? b/c i saw a guy like that at mine
Brawl Anyone?: Click HERE!!!

Like Mario Kart WiFi? Need help finding friends? Click here
Quote by bobthesgman
which gc was it? b/c i saw a guy like that at mine

In Dallas, Texas, next to the cowboy boot store.
this kid in guitar center had long black hair, those parachute black pants with black studs, and like a tight black shirt with some emo band on it and he was trying to do the tapping from eruption and he had his girl and some friend who dressed the exact same as him so i know he was showing off, so i grabbed a gibson explorer and played the exact same things he was playing. he was butchering it, i wasnt, after about 45 seconds he was like, "man fu#$ this guitar lets go get some food" then i went about my merry way trying out some LPs now that i could actually hear.
fight the power that be
Quote by ebbbaaa
In Dallas, Texas, next to the cowboy boot store.

nope, that wasn't it, but i did see a guy like that at mine
Brawl Anyone?: Click HERE!!!

Like Mario Kart WiFi? Need help finding friends? Click here
hm i don't believe i've ever had this problem at a guitarcenter
usually when i'm at a guitar center, people are playing at decent levels, and every so often i find people who are playing some stuff i know, and i'll grab a guitar and start playing with them, most of the time someone will grab a bass and but a nice little riff to it.

so yeah.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Stop asking what GC it was, there is a person like that in EVERY GC across the country. It's nothing special, we all know they exist, and you just need to wait for them to leave. Granted, I'm referring to those of us who can drive ourselves, and don't have mommy or daddy telling us that we only have 5 more minutes...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by ebbbaaa

AHH.

You're a dick.
Last time I was at a GC there was a kid my age poorly playing a song I could easily do. Yes, it sounded annoying and repetitive, but I minded my own, like a respectful, mature person would. Yes, I could have ripped out Vai's Answers G3 solo, or Malmsteen's Evil Eye and shut the kid up, but thats not what guitar is about.
I'm back, you douchebags.
some of u d00ds are super ghey... you may not know who you are but some of us definitely can see it.

that is all.

_B_
"TONE ADDICT"
Quote by One Way Ticket
You're a dick.
Last time I was at a GC there was a kid my age poorly playing a song I could easily do. Yes, it sounded annoying and repetitive, but I minded my own, like a respectful, mature person would. Yes, I could have ripped out Vai's Answers G3 solo, or Malmsteen's Evil Eye and shut the kid up, but thats not what guitar is about.

Did you read my other posts? I didn't really compete with him or attempt to outplay him or anything, I was exaggerating!

Also, the Mesa was one of the only tube amps they had plugged in.
Quote by hamish5178
Nothing wrong with the Pentatonic scale, I'd much rather hear that than sloppy sweeps and tremolo picking.

=(

That's the **** I pull as soon as I try out a guitar. I turn my amp down for that reason though. So A) Noone can hear me and B) The few that do can only make out the notes I'm playing, so they think I'm cool. Win win =). Sloppy sweeps FTW.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by ebbbaaa

AHH.

Does not compute.

Don't be such a dick, just because someone else isn't playing what you like doesn't give you permission to be try to outshine them, or come on a forum to whine.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jul 23, 2007,
Quote by One Way Ticket
You're a dick.

You tabbed out a G3 solo?

COUGH pathetic COUGH.
Gear...
Quote by ebbbaaa
Did you read my other posts? I didn't really compete with him or attempt to outplay him or anything, I was exaggerating!

Also, the Mesa was one of the only tube amps they had plugged in.

Ah, I apologize.
Dick move on my part.

Quote by abcdboy

COUGH pathetic COUGH.

COUGH I learned the key parts by ear and Improvise the rest COUGH

HAG HAG besides theres already a tab for it on UG made by someone else HAG HAG

WHEEZE WHEEZE long cat is long WHEEZE WHEEZE
I'm back, you douchebags.
Last edited by One Way Ticket at Jul 23, 2007,
Personally, when I walk in, I usually test a few songs
Master of puppets to test palm muting and metal.
Purple haze to test coolness.
Stairway to test cleans.
Pentatonic to test general.
And maybe a little bit of blues improv.
It covers most areas.
Oh! And the bards song to see how well fingerpicking feels.

Quote by abcdboy

COUGH pathetic COUGH.

You're a douche *no lameass cough*
Seriously, why do so many people who play guitar feel the need to judge others. Why cant we all just rock together?
Quote by One Way Ticket
Ah, I apologize.
COUGH I learned the key parts by ear and Improvise the rest COUGH

HAG HAG besides theres already a tab for it on UG made by someone else HAG HAG

WHEEZE WHEEZE long cat is long WHEEZE WHEEZE

So you're not playing the G3 solo then. Duh.
Gear...
Quote by groovymr1337
Personally, when I walk in, I usually test a few songs
Master of puppets to test palm muting and metal.
Purple haze to test coolness.
Stairway to test cleans.
Pentatonic to test general.
And maybe a little bit of blues improv.
It covers most areas.
Oh! And the bards song to see how well fingerpicking feels.

You're a douche *no lameass cough*
Seriously, why do so many people who play guitar feel the need to judge others. Why cant we all just rock together?

'Cause learning an improvised solo is retarded? I don't even know why I'm dignifying your comment with a response though. You play MOP, Stairway, a pentatonic wank, and Purple Haze specifically at guitar stores. Noone else finds this weird?
Gear...
dude i feel dumb i kinda have to turn the amps up because i have pretty bad hearing problems i didnt know people got all mad
Page 1 of 2