Page 1 of 4
Alright, I don't think this has been done, and I was inspired today to make this and get your opinions.
NOTE: This is NOT a thread to say "AC/DC sucks, their albums suck!," it's merely one to say what your honest opinions about albums, without bashing.

Anyways, for Christmas, I received (among other things), Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane (with bonus tracks). Now I had heard "Somebody To Love" and "White Rabbit" already, and loved the songs. However, the album seemed to lack the same (for lack of a better term) 'pizaz.' THe only other song I like on the level with the other two is "Embryonic Journey," and "Plastic Fantastic Lover" is alright. The album was sort of a let down since I had heard so many great things about it.
The bonus tracks were good, though, except "J.P.P. McStep B. Blues." And as a side note, the booklet with the album had the right cover piece, but the inside pages were all for 'Volunteers.'
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
I found AC-DCs "high voltage" a little disappointing compared to thier other stuff. I love the band but im not crazy about the album.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
A Bigger Bang by the Stones. Mostly because the lyrics sound like they were written by a 12 year old. Epic guitar solos are also missing. There are some good songs on there though.
Stones and Epic, together in the same sentence? Not putting the stones down, but I wouldn't put those two words together myself.. though I am inexperienced, so... lol. I think the who's Greatest Hits album is a dissapointment. It just didn't live up to the title of the album, nor does it deliver much of what gives The Who the worthiness of the spot in "epic history" that they have been painted with, and this seems to be backed up by the amazon.com reviews.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by Outside Octaves
Stones and Epic, together in the same sentence? Not putting the stones down, but I wouldn't put those two words together myself.. though I am inexperienced, so... lol.

dude...do you know how important the Stones are to rock n' roll history? They were the first ones with the rock n' roll attitude and rebellion. They were the first "bad boys." They are the blueprint for nearly every rock band to follow after them. I'd say that's pretty epic.
Quote by BlueOyster23
Alright, I don't think this has been done, and I was inspired today to make this and get your opinions.
NOTE: This is NOT a thread to say "AC/DC sucks, their albums suck!," it's merely one to say what your honest opinions about albums, without bashing.

Anyways, for Christmas, I received (among other things), Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane (with bonus tracks). Now I had heard "Somebody To Love" and "White Rabbit" already, and loved the songs. However, the album seemed to lack the same (for lack of a better term) 'pizaz.' THe only other song I like on the level with the other two is "Embryonic Journey," and "Plastic Fantastic Lover" is alright. The album was sort of a let down since I had heard so many great things about it.
The bonus tracks were good, though, except "J.P.P. McStep B. Blues." And as a side note, the booklet with the album had the right cover piece, but the inside pages were all for 'Volunteers.'

Get Bathing at Baxters -it's better and weirder!
Neil Young's Freedom album was abit of a letdown. It had Rocking In The Free World and Crime In The City was good as was Don't Cry but after that just kinda meh....
Surrealistic Pillow is the best JA album in my opinion. Consistent one! You didn't mention I Saw You Coming back To Me. That's a fine tune.

Ditto there. I was disappointed with A Bigger Bang: loud and old-fashioned at the same time...
Last edited by Realist at Jul 23, 2007,
queen- hot space
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
I'm not a fan of some of Aerosmith's albums, such as Rock in a Hard Place, Just Push Play, or Nine Lives. Also, I was a little disappointed in Joe Walsh's The Confessor, mainly because it would be a good album if it wasn't for the freaking electronic drums...

And upon first listen to Grace Under Pressure by Rush I didn't like it (although Distant Early Warning is great) but I don't actually have the album and haven't heard it since.

EDIT: I was also a little disappointed with the James Gang's Thirds album. Midnight Man and Walk Away are good (though Walk Away is much better in it's multiple live versions) but the rest of the album isn't anything special.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Making Movies by Dire Straits was pretty disappointing with the exception of Romeo and Juliet, but that's just me talking.
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
Quote by master
dude...do you know how important the Stones are to rock n' roll history? They were the first ones with the rock n' roll attitude and rebellion. They were the first "bad boys." They are the blueprint for nearly every rock band to follow after them. I'd say that's pretty epic.

not at all. "epic" is totally different.
Quote by fluffylump2
not at all. "epic" is totally different.

from dictionary.com: "Epic - heroic; majestic; impressively great"

to keep on topic, the last Rush album didn't do much for me, but I haven't really listened to it that much.
Quote by BrainDamage
And upon first listen to Grace Under Pressure by Rush I didn't like it (although Distant Early Warning is great) but I don't actually have the album and haven't heard it since.

There are a few decent moments on that album, but it's widely considered (by me aswell) a throwaway. It just has a choppy inconsistency to it that's hard to get over.

Dark Side of the Moon was a thorough disappoint to me. By the time I managed to sit down with it after years and years of hype, I couldn't get over how average it sounded. It just never came together as a whole sound-scape for me.
^ widely considered? by who?

I've heard Alex and Geddy both say it's there most under appreciated, and I agree. it's probably my third favourite from Rush. Every song on the album is good, and except for maybe 2, they're all amazing.

and I still can't believe some people don't like Songs from the Wood. it's brilliant in my opinion.
Quote by hamett91
Jethro Tull- Too Old Too Rock n Roll, Songs From the Wood, War Child
Foghat- Stone Blue
Kansas- Two for the Show

Really? I love Two For The Show. One of Kansas' crowning achievements, in my opinion. But that's just me.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Quote by Supreme WarHawk
^ widely considered? by who?

Core Rush fans as well as music publications and critics. A lot of people really.
Quote by Maet
Core Rush fans as well as music publications and critics. A lot of people really.

Really? I think Grace had some real gems on it. And we all know what music publications and critics think of Rush...

*cough* jack asses *cough.*
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Quote by Maet

really? what I've heard is that it's a favourite of many Rush fans and that its a shame that it's not as well known and not as appreciated by the average listener.
I was really disappointed by everything Boston did after their debut. It was just bad.

And I was a tiny bit disappointed about The Velvet Underground & Nico as well as Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
I love the synth phase of Rush. The new sound. A little polished but with a strong beat. Sophisticated anyway. I'd never dump Grace Under Pressure and Hold Your Fire in this thread
Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door. It was alright, but it just didn't seem to compare to the rest of their work.
Quote by Jearl
the blues dont care where youre from. theyll find you no matter what.

Bodhisattva of Zeppelinism

PM TheHeartbreaker to join.
Led Zeppelin IV, Who's Next, London Calling and Ziggy Stardust disappointed me. I found that IV was some great tracks mixed in with average, as was Who's Next, London Calling was too long and had too many average songs, and Ziggy Stardust, whilst I do like it a lot, wasn't as great as every one said.
^ whos next? what the hell are you smoking
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
As i explored Pink Floyd's many albums, i found Piper at the Gates of Dawn very annoying. I thought it all sounded just like jumbled noise, like they weren't thinking about what the were doing.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Quote by Small Print
Led Zeppelin IV, Who's Next, London Calling and Ziggy Stardust disappointed me. I found that IV was some great tracks mixed in with average, as was Who's Next, London Calling was too long and had too many average songs, and Ziggy Stardust, whilst I do like it a lot, wasn't as great as every one said.

Well, even while I believe that Zep did a lot better in Physical Graffiti than in IV, I still think that's a great album. And those four are fantastic albums, I can't believe they let you down.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Neil Young's Freedom album was abit of a letdown. It had Rocking In The Free World and Crime In The City was good as was Don't Cry but after that just kinda meh....

Agreed. Rockin' In The Free World is the only song that ever stood out to me as "great" from that album.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Small Print
I found that IV was some great tracks mixed in with average...

In my opinion, every Led Zeppelin album is like that. Actually, it's more like a couple great tracks mixed in with a lot of below average tracks.

But that's just me. Don't kill me, Led Zep fans.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
yeah, i bought who's next thinking it was going to be the greatest record of the decade, as it is usually considered the who's best, and i love the who. the first 2 and last 2 songs are untouchable, the rest is pretty meh. quadrophenia DESTROYS who's next.
Quote by master
A Bigger Bang by the Stones. Mostly because the lyrics sound like they were written by a 12 year old. Epic guitar solos are also missing. There are some good songs on there though.

they were? what 12 year old? even that one line in rough justice? haha
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
KISS' Unmasked was a huge dissappointment. I didn't mind Dynasty, but Unmasked was crap.

While on the subject of KISS records, Asylum was a terrible record too.

I was never in love with Some Time In New York City from John Lennon either.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Garci
Well, even while I believe that Zep did a lot better in Physical Graffiti than in IV, I still think that's a great album. And those four are fantastic albums, I can't believe they let you down.

Well, after giving it a couple of more listens, I do like Ziggy a bit more. I think a lot of the disappointment came not with the music, but the over-enthusiastic reviews and fans.
Quote by TOcheesehead
As i explored Pink Floyd's many albums, i found Piper at the Gates of Dawn very annoying. I thought it all sounded just like jumbled noise, like they weren't thinking about what the were doing.

I concur. People always talk about the Barret days, and Barret himself like they were something amazing, but this album really seems musically immature and almost poppy.

I have to say that PULSE disappointed me. Most of it was good, but some of the Dark Side of the Moon tracks lack an edge. The solo/instrumental in Money is dull.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
In Through The Out Door

kind of a sappy record....what do you expect when the band is falling apart, the guitarist records his part after the rest of the band have already written everything, and you're on drugs, and it's the end of your career!
I got a Dire Straits Greatest Hits and I was really dissapointred by that. The only ones I really liked were Sultans of swing, heavy fuel, money for nothing, and walk of life. Another dissapointment was London Calling. After hearing their first two LOndon Calling really lacked the punk edge that the first two had. It did come out on a few songs such as Death or Glory, but ones like Lost in the Supermarket really didn't cut it for me.
Quote by Outside Octaves
Stones and Epic, together in the same sentence? Not putting the stones down, but I wouldn't put those two words together myself.. though I am inexperienced, so... lol. I think the who's Greatest Hits album is a dissapointment. It just didn't live up to the title of the album, nor does it deliver much of what gives The Who the worthiness of the spot in "epic history" that they have been painted with, and this seems to be backed up by the amazon.com reviews.

Bought A Bigger Bang just a couple of days ago, think it's a good album
Rolling StonesNeil YoungBob MarleyGram ParsonsAC/DCThe beatlesChuck BerryThe WhoCreedence Clearwater Revival
Metal Machine Music - Lou Reed

White noise, how is that music man?
Clapton
McLaughlin

Metheny
Wakenius
Quote by SpiderFromMars
In my opinion, every Led Zeppelin album is like that. Actually, it's more like a couple great tracks mixed in with a lot of below average tracks.

But that's just me. Don't kill me, Led Zep fans.

Just kidding dude. I think that IV by Zeppelin is lacking in good trackage, mostly just because of its excessive radio-play. I love Four Sticks, however.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Page 1 of 4