I've been playing about 3 or 4 months, and I've just started trying alternate picking....What i was wondering, is this something that I should really focus on or just kinda try to pick up on it as i continue along?

thanks
I came to me naturally.

RIG:
Ibanez GSA 60
Ibanez RG4EX1QM
Metal Muff
Jackson DKMGT
GK Backline 210
Vox VT50
Crate XT15R
Ibanez SR400QM
Ibanez GSR 200 bass
Crate B15 bass amp
Lots of Monster cords
honestly you should go out of your way to make sure you do it correctly
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
I alternate pick a little bit....probably 40% of the time alternate and about 60% of the time just down picking........My newest book has several exercises...I'll try to focus on picking for now.

thanks guys
I'd say you should get in the habit of doing it early, because once you get accustomed to only down-picking, it'll be a mighty hard habit to break.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
yeah, definitely practice it for a while and soon it will be super easy and natural
what i did , while watching tv or whatever, mute all the strings with your fret hand and just simply go up and down every string over and over and over.... it will embed into your brain and become instinct, without causing anyone else in your house to much ear pain
I've been practicing scales with only alternate picking and after a couple days, it really catches on. You learn scales/notes/patterns and you can alternate pick pretty well.
yea practice alt pick, after a day or two it just started to come naturally, now lol when i try to pick any other way but alt its WAYY slower and and really puts alot of strain on your wrist and arm in general after about 1/3 as much effort of doing alt picking.

so yea make sure too that when switchin to the next string your also alt picking not like

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - d - - -
d - u - d - u - d - - u - -

make sure its like this

- - - - - - - - - - - u - - -
d - u - d - u - d - - d - -
Last edited by o d y s s e y at Jul 23, 2007,
One of the easiest techniques to pick up to improve your speed is alternate picking, so I would say it's a very good idea to work on it. Don't obsess over it, but from here on out play everything with an alternate picking, unless of course it seems obvious that it should be down-picked. As previously stated though, after a day or two it will pretty much be burned into your head. It's a quick one to pick up.
I'm not sure if this thread is still around, but I remember getting into a HUGE debate probably about a year ago about this subject.

My advice: Get so accustomed to alternate picking that it feels absolutely "right" and natural. It will help your playing so much.
From now on alt pick everything that needs to be alt picked and it will just fuse w/ your brain so you'll alt pick all the time.
I've been practicin pretty heavily last few days....a few scales and riffs I know, goin over em again and again.....and it really has become a lot more natural feeling.

thanks once again