My friend says the guitar is a crap load harder than the Bass. Post your thoughts.

My Opinion: Bass is definetly not easier than Guitar. It is only easier if you play like Pete Wentz. As long as your not new to the Bass it can be a lot harder than Guitar.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
Bass is the easiest to start on but harder to master....Alot of guys don't make their basslines part of the music and mix most of it out so bass gets a bad rep next to the screaming guitar solos.....My guitar has been neglected since I picked up bass..
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
your guitar buddy is really ignorant. Bass can be easier but it can also be alot harder. It all depends on what you play, tell him to go learn a victor wooten solo then see what he says
Arg, there have been quite a few threads like this, and they've never gone well. You get people flaming either instrument, people who fancy themselves Zen monks, and people who say it's all good. Make up your own posts, really. This thread should be closed.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i agree with Blade guitar is easier to start out on but bass has many different picking styles even though i prefer guitar bass can be a much harder instrument to play oh the strings are bigger too lol.
my gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Sunset FR
Line 6 spider 2: 212 combo 120 watt =\
Line 6 guitar port
EVH frankenstein painted Explorer
Apples and Oranges.

The techniques are completely different. Except for shredding, they teach pretty much the same style for both.

Although, if I had to choose, I'd say overall guitar is harder. I played guitar for a good couple years before I picked up my bass, so I probably wouldn't be the best source, because I had all the ideas of what I was doing beforehand.
I couldn't really say either way. I only play bass, so I can't really say it's as tough as guitar cuz I don't know
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Yeppers thanks for the replys.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
well i have played bass for 3 years now and i know a decent amount about it
and i have played guitar for 2 years.

its the different styles of playing is what can make an instrument easier or harder.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
i started out on guitar, ten went to bass thinking my guitar skills could get me a good foot in, but i quickly learned that practicing with both hands equally is much more difficult than just fretting with the left hand. now im pretty much doing both.
Quote by Zach
I'm gonna make a poster of my pinky finger that says in big bold letters on the bottom 'USE IT'
Quote by Switch
I was not expecting him to have a ferret skilled in nuclear weaponry
Well playing anything on bass is harder because the frets are farther away and you have to use your fingers.
But on guitar you have 2 more strings, and you have to learn chords and solos.

Depends depends.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Well playing anything on bass is harder because the frets are farther away and you have to use your fingers.
But on guitar you have 2 more strings, and you have to learn chords and solos.

Depends depends.

yer dumb..bass players use fingers or pick you dont have to use either you can get basses with 6 strings bass has chords and solos
If you just play root notes, yes, bass is easier, but when you start getting into good basslines like those by wooten and flea, it is much harder. I play both. Guitar is usually faster, but much easier to get a clean note out of, and you can reach more frets further apart.
Playing both guitar and bass for about the same length of time... I'm going to have to go with bass being easier, for me.

Mostly, just because of solos. You just don't get bass lines which require 400 notes a second plus crazy 2-step bends and stuff thrown in all over the place; pretty much just because of solos, I'd rate guitar as being harder.

That said, take away most of the hallmarks of lead guitar (i.e. compare rhythm guitar vs bass), and then they're pretty much equal.
Bass and guitar have an equal amount of difficulty, respective to the different styles of playing. Like the guitar the bass can be either lead or rhythm, melodic or harmonic. I've been playing both for about rough the same amount of time, and i manage to split time between both fairly equally. As rooster456 said it's really apples and oranges, you'll find one you like better, or you like both. (P.S. I prefer apples to oranges but don't mind both in a fruit salad XD )
Instruments:
Bass:
Monterey Jazz Bass (Fender J-Bass Knock-off)
Ibanez EDB400

Guitar:
Squier Standard Telecaster
Ibanez RG2550E

FX:
BOSS ODB-3
Behringer Distortion Modeler
Marshall Bluesbreaker II
Zoom B2.1u
Quote by Narcotics
yer dumb..bass players use fingers or pick you dont have to use either you can get basses with 6 strings bass has chords and solos

Yeah, but bass chords sound like ****. I play bass as my main instrument, and I have played in 3 bands, 2 of which gigged around the state. I have no illusions. Bass chords just frankly sound like ****.
I have to say playing an solo on the bass as fast as a guitar solo! Is much harder, cause of the bigger string spacing and larger frets!
I dunno, in my experience, bass has always been easier to pick up but harder to master? Guitar doesn't expand that much in style making it, possibly harder to pick up but extremely easy to master. Your buddy has obviously never seen good bass playing and as a result he has a neglectful 2D view of music. If he really understood music he wouldn't be making statements like that. All in all, show him this
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by rooster456
Yeah, but bass chords sound like ****. I play bass as my main instrument, and I have played in 3 bands, 2 of which gigged around the state. I have no illusions. Bass chords just frankly sound like ****.

Have you been EQing it right? When you're doing chords on bass, try to boost the highs and get rid of the low frequencies. This helps gte rid of the muddiness.

As for the thread, show your friend some good jazz, then ask him which is easier. It all depends on the player.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by rooster456

emm... well maybe you can't play them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mO9UbWMycM an example where bass chords sound cool.

This thread should die.
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at Jul 23, 2007,
*Reported*

Why? Because the thread didn't even reached the second page, and its already full of flaming, and stupid, or just wrong sayings.
In the entire thread their was only one smart post, and that was Fitz saying it sohuld be closed.

But just to conclude the argument:
NONE of them is harder.
Why? Because it all depends on what you're playing.
You can write the hardest song in the world, which is all in 20nps on a guitar.
So now Guitar is surely harder then Bass!

But wait, a bassist just played it on bass on 30nps.
So what? Bass is harder now.

I hope I got my point across.
This argument is idiotic, and got no right or wrong, only two big wrong sides.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
*Reported*

Why? Because the thread didn't even reached the second page, and its already full of flaming, and stupid, or just wrong sayings.

I'm concerned that you may have taken my post as flaming. It was not meant as such. I expressed that the poster may have not heard bass chords played in a good context, and simply pointed this out along with an example where bass chords have been used in a good context.

I accept my post may have seemed to be flaming, so I have edited it such. Though I still do think this thread should left to die in peace as it has been done to death.