Poll: How many fingers do you use to pick the strings?
Poll Options
View poll results: How many fingers do you use to pick the strings?
3 3%
64 55%
39 34%
10 9%
Voters: 116.
Page 1 of 2
I use only two... my ring finger and pinkie.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I use three, for those Maiden-esque triplets and Sheehan-ish shred.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I do it differently for what im playing, generally 2 finger but sometimes i switch to the 3.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
alucardmik is actually from the outer rings of jupiter and likes to drink goat milk while rubbing his nipples counterclockwise. so i hear...
2 for most songs, but i like going three for things like The Trooper and Raining Blood.
Warwick 4-string
not a rockbass
a Warwick
three and sometimes all four... ive even been able to pull all 5 (basically using four but dropping in a fast slap with the thumb)
Guitar:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson DK2-L w/ Dimarzio X2N
Takamine acoustic

Bass:
Fender Precision Bass

Amp:
Marshall AVTX150H
Behringer BG412F
Marshall MG15MSII
Most of the time 2, but I am practising playing with three fingers. So if you ask this in about 6 months again I might give another answer!

I sometimes use my indez and thumb too: like in the basssolo from stuart hamm the beginning. And when I have to mute the strings I use only my thumb.
Last edited by recondite11 at Jul 23, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
I use only two... my ring finger and pinkie.

that's... weird

But if it works, it works!
Three: index, middle, and thumb
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
seems like im the only one right now that uses one (thumb)
|----------------------0--|
|----------------------0--|
|-------------------------|
|--2----------2-----------|
|-----2----4-----4-4------|
|--------0----------------|

Just a little "Spanish Sastle Magic"
Everywhere between 1-5, and I also can do it with a pick.

Different techniques for different situations.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I mainly use 2 fingers. Although sometimes I like to go old school and play with my thumb.
Quote by recondite11
that's... weird

But if it works, it works!

Nah, I was being facetious. I use my index/middle when playing straight up, and index/thumb when doing something percussive. I also do Thunderfingers' typewriter technique. Basically, a bunch of combinations of 2 fingers.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
2 at least but occasionally I go into classical style finger picking and use all 5 digits.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Mostly use two: my index and middle, but occasionally I throw my ring finger in, if it's a gallop line for example.
signature
95% of the time I use 2 fingers. I use three sometimes if needed.

For people who said their thumb. The thumb isn't a finger.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
I generally use my index, middle, and ring. But occasionally I use my thumb and pinky. I also use a pick on certain songs.

But most of the time it's just the threee.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ranxston

The thumb has just as many knuckles as a finger does. One in the middle, one where it joins the hand, and one at the wrist.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Ranxston

Oh I'm pretty sure it is.
2: index and middle. i'm not used to using my ringfinger, but i want to try to use it more often though.
soymilk please <3
I use the standard index and middle. On rare occasions I throw in the ring for the Steve Harris like stuff !
no sig
I've been working on using all 4, but the pinky isn't working so well. I usually use my index and middle fingers, though occasionally I throw I in the ring finger. Lately I've also been going old school with my thumb. =P

Off-topic: Is "pinkie" the right way to spell that? I always thought it was "pinky" but my spell-checker is yelling at me.
I generally use two, but I play around with the third. I might eventually switch to the three fingers once I just naturally get used to it. I also like just hitting the top string whenever I'm trying to jump into something big. I guess I just use the thumb for impact, not skillful playing. lol
[img]http://myspace-774.vo.llnwd.net/00952/47/76/952176774_l.jpg[/img]
That's me, bitch!
I started out with the pick, and moved on to the standard 2 finger plucking, until i started playing some funk and began to pop and slap and tap. The pinky comes in handy for some machine-gun bass lines or just when you're playing chords, especially when you've been jamming for several hours.

I probably split playing on the pick and finger picking about 30% Plectrum, 30% 3 finger picking 20% 3 finger (plus thumb) and 20% 4 fingers (plus thumb)
Instruments:
Bass:
Monterey Jazz Bass (Fender J-Bass Knock-off)
Ibanez EDB400

Guitar:
Squier Standard Telecaster
Ibanez RG2550E

FX:
BOSS ODB-3
Behringer Distortion Modeler
Marshall Bluesbreaker II
Zoom B2.1u
I usually use 3. Very rarely will I actually use my pinky to pluck the g string. But my pinky is pretty rigid so I just use it to palm mute when I'm doing fingerpicking with the other 3. I just lay it across the strings vertically by the bridge where my actual palm would be if I was using a pick.

Palm muting with the agility of some 3 finger picking action = some sweet staccato.

Anyone else do the same?
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
If the song is slow enough, 1.
If it is faster, 3.
Usually 2 though.
I also throw in my thumb occasionaly.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I always use two. Even if it is "The Trooper" or "Raining Blood."

I just think it sounds better.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
This is the biggest collection of ADD i've ever seen.
I put 3 because I throw the ring finger in there for gallops and faster playing but I mostly use 2.

Fingers have three joints while the thumb only has two.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 24, 2007,
I use three. I tried to learn the four finger technique, but the pinky just doesn't work. Sometimes I use a pick too.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Last edited by pagiatis at Jul 24, 2007,
I use my index and middle fingers usually, occasionally using my ring finger.
Quote by thefitz
The thumb has just as many knuckles as a finger does. One in the middle, one where it joins the hand, and one at the wrist.

They're called phalanges and unlike the other fingers, the thumb only has 2. The third one is the one that connects to your wrist and it's not part of the thumb. It's part of your palm. They refer it as an opposable digit and it's too different to be called a finger.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Mostly just my index and middle finger, but occasionally I'll use my ring finger.
Page 1 of 2