Page 1 of 2
Im not a huge metal player but im might be getting a RG350 (the white one) as an all round guitar. wat do u guys think of the ibanez edge 3 tremelo (does it stay in tune, easy to use... etc) ? Thnks for your help
My Gear:

Fender 2008 American Series Standard Stratocaster
Hand Made Acoustic Guitar (made by my uncle)
Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 with maestro trem
BOSS DS-1
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah
Peavey Bandit
Im not a huge metal player but im might be getting a RG350 (the white one) as an all round guitar. wat do u guys think of the ibanez edge 3 tremelo (does it stay in tune, easy to use... etc) ? Thnks for your help

It's made of poor quality materials so it won't last, I'm sure you all love your new Edge 3s, but I guarantee they'll have crapped out within 5 years. Saying "mine still works" after a few months isn't really helpful because that's not the issue, they have a well-documented history of falling apart, just because yours hasn't done it yet doesn't mean it won't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's made of poor quality materials so it won't last, I'm sure you all love your new Edge 3s, but I guarantee they'll have crapped out within 5 years. Saying "mine still works" after a few months isn't really helpful because that's not the issue, they have a well-documented history of falling apart, just because yours hasn't done it yet doesn't mean it won't.

way to rain on his parade...lol!
New it works perfectly well. It will also last for some years if you set it up correctly and take care of it. But sooner or later, you'll have to replace some parts or the full bridge.
I mean, I'd buy it for that price (I'm going to buy the Xiphos and it has the Edge III too), but as soon as I could, I'd replace it... just that I wouldn't be on a hurry.
And by the way... does any of you know which other Ibanez tremolo bridge can fit on it without drilling anything else???
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
mine's lasted a year....and an OFR is not that big of an investment...like 200 AT the MOST ....and it just pops in place.....direct swap for Edge III, and well....i haven't had any problems whatsoever with my FR...
Quote by steven seagull

+ 1 billion.

Quote by Chad11491
mine's lasted a year....and an OFR is not that big of an investment...like 200 AT the MOST ....and it just pops in place.....direct swap for Edge III, and well....i haven't had any problems whatsoever with my FR...

here in the UK, an OFR would bring you up to the cost of an RG1570, which has a better trem and is a vastly superior guitar. May be different in the states, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

A year isn't really a long time - my Lo Pro Edge has been working perfectly for 14 years and still feels noticeably better than the LFR on my Jackson. The Edge 3 looks pretty, and will work for a while but it's not built to last, that's the problem with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Chad11491

i realise already that i answered this, but i just realised you're in the USA- here in the UK an OFR is around £180, or over $300. it's bringing you well within range OF A BETTER GUITAR. Which already has the better trem.

Jeez.

EDIT: +1 on mark too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FRDesign
Yeah, its not as hard as most people say, Ive got that guitar and I abuse the trem lol.

Mine still works 100%

You got yours like, 2 weeks ago!
^ then STFU.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. Edge 3s can last a while IF YOU DON"T ABUSE THEM. If you're gentle and don't go all Vai on it, it'll last significantly longer.

And my Kahler LFR has lasted 18 years without a hitch. Edge 3 can't touch that.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
are the guitar fetish floyds a direct swap? and how are they?
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Quote by steven seagull
A year isn't really a long time - my Lo Pro Edge has been working perfectly for 14 years and still feels noticeably better than the LFR on my Jackson. The Edge 3 looks pretty, and will work for a while but it's not built to last, that's the problem with it.

Well, I think of the Edge III as a transition bridge, nothing else xDDD
And about your Lo-Pro Edge... you're so lucky for having that trem. In my opinion, it's the best locking trem ever made :P
Would it fit instead of an Edge III in the Xiphos when I get it???
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Quote by DieKrupps
/

i found this on the guitar you recomended....and look at its cons.

It states "Poorly designed bridge"

That's bollocks, there's scraping the barrel in an attempt to find fault, and there's...

"Of the biggest annoyances of the bridge, it's the fact that the people at Ibanez put the fine tuners at an angle, basically asking you to scratch up the finish with your fingernails when struggling to change fine tunings"

1)No guitarist worth their axe has long fingernails
2)If they DO happen to have long fingernails I have yet to meet anyone with tungsten-carbide steel fingertips. Your average poly finish is a damnsight tougher than the common-or-garden fingernail

The reason they're at an angle is because it's a low-profile variant...any low profile floyd has the tuners at an angle, that's how they get to be low profile in the first place. He's also bitching about the lack of a locking mechanism - the only floating bridge with a locking mechanism stock is, AFAIK, the ZR which is a different animal to a Floyd. Anyone spending that amount of money on a guitar knows all to well the pros and cons of a floating bridge - basically his definition of a "poorly designed bridge" applies to pretty much any Floyd Rose variant out there...I get the impression he just doesn't like them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 25, 2007,
Quote by tubab0y
Yeah. Edge 3s can last a while IF YOU DON"T ABUSE THEM. If you're gentle and don't go all Vai on it, it'll last significantly longer.

agreed. though if you get a floyd, odds are you want to abuse it. It's like buying a sports car and being told you can't drive it faster than 45mph or it'll break down. pretty stupid if you ask me.

I did go "all vai" on my lo-trs, and its knife edges lasted a few months. o_O

Quote by steven seagull
That's bollocks, there's scraping the barrel in an attempt to find fault, and there's...

"Of the biggest annoyances of the bridge, it's the fact that the people at Ibanez put the fine tuners at an angle, basically asking you to scratch up the finish with your fingernails when struggling to change fine tunings"

1)No guitarist worth their axe has long fingernails
2)If they DO happen to have long fingernails I have yet to meet anyone with tungsten-carbide steel fingertips. Your average poly finish is a damnsight tougher than the common-or-garden fingernail

The reason they're at an angle is because it's a low-profile variant...any low profile floyd has the tuners at an angle, that's how they get to be low profile in the first place. He's also bitching about the lack of a locking mechanism - the only floating bridge with a locking mechanism stock is, AFAIK, the ZR which is a different animal to a Floyd. Anyone spending that amount of money on a guitar knows all to well the pros and cons of a floating bridge - basically his definition of a "poorly designed bridge" applies to pretty much any Floyd Rose variant out there...I get the impression he just doesn't like them.

+ 1 billion. pwnt. Also, I think it's a girl (look at the username). Only a girl would complain about a quality floyd rose messing with their desired length of fingernails. (just kidding, but you know what i mean)

If there's one rule that you need to know about interpreting reviews it's "Don't listen to someone who plain doesn't like the thing!"... you wouldn't take war film recommendations from someone who's into chick flicks and hates war films, would you?

This is exactly the same thing.

FWIW, i've never scratched my finish from using a low profile trem. I don't know how the heck you could even manage it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think it's more, over 45mph for more than about an hour and it'll break down, but you can abuse it periodically also, you don't get tremolo flutter with a hardtail so for me, it's trems all the way, even if it is an edge 3...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Dave_Mc
+ 1 billion. pwnt. Also, I think it's a girl (look at the username). Only a girl would complain about a quality floyd rose messing with their desired length of fingernails. (just kidding, but you know what i mean)

I'm quite proud of my defence of the Edge Pro there...I've half a mind to post it as a comment on their review
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

I'm quite proud of my defence of the Edge Pro there...I've half a mind to post it as a comment on their review

you should, lay some smackdown on that (seemingly) girl's candy ass!
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tubab0y

The whole point of having a double locking trem is to abuse it though .

Kahlers are definitely sexy.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The whole guitar is sexy, but AFAIK, there aren't any pics of it online, they're too uncommon.

and you could get a double locking trem just for tuning stability. Petrucci had one for years in DT and barely ever used it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by steven seagull

awesome. I don't think i can add to that.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tubab0y
and you could get a double locking trem just for tuning stability. Petrucci had one for years in DT and barely ever used it.

true. there definitely is the odd person who'd be willing to do that, dino cazares (think that's the guy), formerly of fear factory did the same. i'd suspect they're in the minority, though, and I've never really had any tuning troubles with non-floyds which are hard-tails, as long as the nut and hardware are good enough.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ What's even more nonsensical is an Edge FX. You don't even have the option of using a whammy bar, because, well, there isn't one.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
yeah. just get a tremol-no or similar if you're into that type of thing, that way you still have the option of using the trem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Own up...who toshayed me on that RG review?

the guy actually replied too, although most of what he said confirmed my suspicions that he just doesn'y like Floyds. He said his main gripe was with the use of knife edges when they already have a system that uses ballbearings. That and the fact that they wear down which also led me to believe he may have got a bit mixed up between the Edge Pro and the Edge 3.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 25, 2007,
Desert Yellow...lovely

This is my healthy specimen of the RG genus...

I can't take photographs for toffee
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It's blue.

And I'd link you to the ultimate gear photo taking guide, except you have stumbled across the other place yet.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by steven seagull
Own up...who toshayed me on that RG review?

the guy actually replied too, although most of what he said confirmed my suspicions that he just doesn'y like Floyds. He said his main gripe was with the use of knife edges when they already have a system that uses ballbearings. That and the fact that they wear down which also led me to believe he may have got a bit mixed up between the Edge Pro and the Edge 3.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^

yeah, i suck at pics too, mark.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry but i'm new to the forums and i'm just after a quick answer to this edge 3 related question

I've got an RG350DX with an Edge 3 tremolo bridge. I don't like it, and so i want to get an Edge Pro to replace the Edge 3. Will i be able to take the edge 3 out and simply drop the pro in?, or will the guys at my local guitar store need to do a bit of tinkering?

And if anyone's got time, what is the cheapest place to actually get and edge pro???

Many thanks!
Last edited by Black Rat 1214 at Sep 18, 2008,
i'm not certain to be honest. there's a reasonable chance the studs will be a different size, and the trem might be a different size too...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2