Hey all, I'm going to be getting my first electric guitar sometime (hopefully) soon, and I was wondering what kind of guitar and amp I should get

I've been playing my acoustic guitar for a year now, so I'm not a complete noob. I'm looking for a guitar that's not aimed for beginner's only. I'd like a guitar that would be playable by semi-intermediate players I suppose.

Price Range: Roughly around $300 tops, maybe a bit more (for guitar)
Preferred Music Style: More Heavy Metal + Rock, but also being able to play some softer tunes if needed would be nice too :P

The guitar brands I'm interested in right now are ESP and Deans because I've heard that they are good, but I don't know much about other brands and would be open to hearing suggestions of other brands

I've looked through the TomLee website (I live in Canada), and currently the ESP F-50 has caught my attention. It's priced as $298.48. Would this be a good guitar to get? I'm also going to visit local Long and Mcqaude stores to see what guitars they have as well (but having certain guitars in mind would help)

For an amp, I don't really need a very loud amp, since I'm going to be playing at home mostly. Right now the Line 6 Spider III 15W amp looks like it's pretty good. It is priced at $138.66. But is the 15W sufficient for practicing with a band? The Line 6 Spider III 30W amp is priced at $250.89... way more expensive -_-

So yeah, do you have any suggestions for other guitars or amps that I could get?
Last edited by ZeronX at Jul 23, 2007,
Schecter! (omen 6?)
jackson and ibanez too.

A nice amp is more important than a good guitar. The line 6 is ok, check out some randalls maybe. Have a browse through www.musiciansfriend.com to get an idea of what is around. Don.t allways rely on their reviews though, some people expect $3000 quality from a $200 amp.
^agree with the ibanez.
i think you might be able to get an RG for 300, might be a little bit more.

but as for an amp, shop around, play on a lot at the music stores around you then make your decision. find what feels right to you
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
I'd get an Ibanez RG series guitar. I've never played an Ibanez that didn't feel right. If u want one with a good floating tremolo, then for about $350 this guitar is a good choice, though stringing it might kill ya

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG370DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512368

Fixed bridge Ibanez guitars a about $100 less.

To play with a band I'd recommend something more than 30W. I have a Roland 60W cube (at least for now...). Its a good amp, its $300-400ish. Effects built in aren't bad, but you'll probably grow out of them. Crate sells inexpensive half stacks for for like $400, but a half stack is a pain to move, and if you don't play in a band, you don't really need it.

If I were you I'd get a fairly inexpensive amp and spend more money on a guitar. Once you pop into the $500 range of guitars you get a much better choice, unless you're gonna be in a band within 6 months. You can easily upgrade an amp, and playing a crappy guitar through a good amp still sounds A) Crappy B) can limit your growth potential.

Hope I helped a little bit.
Look around at used stuff for guitar, so you can get best deal possible. If new, I don't think you'd go wrong with a Les Paul, but you'd have to expand your budget a bit. I'd also recommend spending more on your amp than guitar. Check out Traynor for amps, and Laney's if they got them up there. I would also recommend the Peavey windsor combo when it comes out., as long as you don't need Fenderesque cleans. I've also heard good things about the Roland Cubes, but never had personal experience with them.

^ To the guy above me, I disagree!
Just shop for a good neck, it doesn't matter if the guitar is "crappy" as long as it has a good neck. The worst guitars with the worst necks still sound decent through a good amp. But, As a beginner it is important to have a good neck. Spend more on amp though, You'll thank me
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Last edited by CORT noob at Jul 23, 2007,
Quote by ZeronX
Hey all, I'm going to be getting my first electric guitar sometime (hopefully) soon, and I was wondering what kind of guitar and amp I should get

I've been playing my acoustic guitar for a year now, so I'm not a complete noob. I'm looking for a guitar that's not aimed for beginner's only. I'd like a guitar that would be playable by semi-intermediate players I suppose.

Price Range: Roughly around $300 tops, maybe a bit more (for guitar)
Preferred Music Style: More Rock, Heavy Metal, but also being able to play some softer tunes if needed would be nice too :P

The guitar brands I'm interested in right now are ESP and Deans because I've heard that they are good, but I don't know much about other brands and would be open to hearing suggestions of other brands

I've looked through the TomLee website (I live in Canada), and currently the ESP F-50 has caught my attention. It's priced as $298.48. Would this be a good guitar to get? I'm also going to visit local Long and Mcqaude stores to see what guitars they have as well (but having certain guitars in mind would help)

For an amp, I don't really need a very loud amp, since I'm going to be playing at home mostly. Right now the Line 6 Spider III 15W amp looks like it's pretty good. It is priced at $138.66. But is the 15W sufficient for practicing with a band? The Line 6 Spider III 30W amp is priced at $250.89... way more expensive -_-

So yeah, do you have any suggestions for other guitars or amps that I could get?
1. The F50 is terrible, Its Agathis
2. The Spider is the worst amp possible. Even my MG sounds way better.

Ill Suggest an Ibanez RG320MH
and a Vox AD15.
Quote by CORT noob
Look around at used stuff for guitar, so you can get best deal possible. If new, I don't think you'd go wrong with a Les Paul, but you'd have to expand your budget a bit. I'd also recommend spending more on your amp than guitar. Check out Traynor for amps, and Laney's if they got them up there. I would also recommend the Peavey windsor combo when it comes out., as long as you don't need Fenderesque cleans. I've also heard good things about the Roland Cubes, but never had personal experience with them.

^ To the guy above me, I disagree!
Just shop for a good neck, it doesn't matter if the guitar is "crappy" as long as it has a good neck. The worst guitars with the worst necks still sound decent through a good amp. But, As a beginner it is important to have a good neck. Spend more on amp though, You'll thank me

Its a balance. A good neck and a good body are the important things. Electronics in a guitar can be replaced. The neck thing is why I don't play Les Pauls. The neck is too fat for my taste. Its all a feel thing though. I recommended the Ibanez RG specifically because the neck. It feels great. Play around and if it feels comfortable, then get it though. Amps... I still say if you're not gonna be playing with a band then anything more than a practice amp is a waste. Once you hone your skills and start playing with a band, then you can get the better amp, and already have a good guitar. My recommendation on the Ibanez RG stands
Okay, well I took another browse through the TomLee website

Ahhh the cheaper Ibanez RG guitars are around $450 or so...
At Tom Lee at least... maybe I could try and raise my budget a bit

On another note, I spotted the pretty cheap Ibanez GRX20... I read the reviews on UG and from what I read, it seems to be able to play a variety of styles, which is great! And it isn't pricey either, only $172.21 CDN! I would be able to spend more money on an amp if I consider this. What are you're suggestions/thoughts on this guitar?

Well it's very late... so I'm going to go sleep and check out amps tomorrow... errr... I mean later today XD

Thanks for all the feedback so-far
Quote by FRDesign
1. The F50 is terrible, Its Agathis
2. The Spider is the worst amp possible. Even my MG sounds way better.

Ill Suggest an Ibanez RG320MH
and a Vox AD15.

ad15 for heavy metal?

id suggest a roland cube. cant go wrong there for metal.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Quote by limefan913
Its a balance. A good neck and a good body are the important things. Electronics in a guitar can be replaced. The neck thing is why I don't play Les Pauls. The neck is too fat for my taste. Its all a feel thing though. I recommended the Ibanez RG specifically because the neck. It feels great. Play around and if it feels comfortable, then get it though. Amps... I still say if you're not gonna be playing with a band then anything more than a practice amp is a waste. Once you hone your skills and start playing with a band, then you can get the better amp, and already have a good guitar. My recommendation on the Ibanez RG stands

If you keep building up on amps like that it becomes very expensive. Why not get an amp that he can practice with now, be happy with for a very long time, and then be band ready when the time comes? And, body wood isn't that important when you first start out. It isn't going to hold you back from learning, and if you can sacrifice on that to get a better amp, you get a better tone anyways.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Amps tend to retain value pretty well, so its not usually an issue trying to get the money back out of them, as long as you take good care of them.

However, I'd say that GRX20 isn't too bad for a starter guitar. The tremolo isn't great, but other than that its ok. I don't know about those pickups though. I'd say try and expand the budget a little bit.

I guess however he's right on the amps thing, it depends on what you want ect ect. My rig that I've got now relies more on digital effects and the guitar than the amp its self, and its going to become more so in the next month or so. Its all personal preference. When it comes to guitar gear, experiment, play at stores (go when they're REALLY busy so they don't pester the hell out of you. Example: Friday afternoon or Saturday at a Guitar Center).
okay after reading all you're feedback, the guitar + amp I'm thinking of right now are:

Ibanez RG370DX (Roughly $430 CDN)
Roland Cube 30X (I think $230 CDN?)

A bit more expensive than I thought but from what I've read it sounds like it's worth it
What do you think?

Oh, how does an Ibanez RG370DX compare with an Ibanez RG350EX?

The RG350EX is $453.37, about $20 more expensive than the 370DX... is the extra $20 worth the difference in sound??
I think you would be alright with that gear. But you can get a decent new 5 watt tube combo for $200 USD. Cort has some good points. I would stay away from Agathis wood for guitars (think Cedar.)
Last edited by uldhppi at Jul 23, 2007,
The RG370DX was my first guitar and it's pretty good for its price. There's really nothing that beats Ibanez.. I've had my Les Paul for a while now, but I miss that sweet, slim neck
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by ZeronX
okay after reading all you're feedback, the guitar + amp I'm thinking of right now are:

Ibanez RG370DX (Roughly $430 CDN)
Roland Cube 30X (I think $230 CDN?)

A bit more expensive than I thought but from what I've read it sounds like it's worth it
What do you think?

Oh, how does an Ibanez RG370DX compare with an Ibanez RG350EX?

The RG350EX is $453.37, about $20 more expensive than the 370DX... is the extra $20 worth the difference in sound??
I got my Rg350DX for $429 2 weeks ago.

Its basicly the same guitar except the 350 is better looking. It has a pickguard, and a matching headstock.
Quote by uldhppi
I think you would be alright with that gear. But you can get a decent new 5 watt tube combo for $200 USD. Cort has some good points. I would stay away from Agathis wood for guitars (think Cedar.)

Do you have a link to this 5 watt tube combo thing? :S
That'd be helpful :p

Quote by FRDesign
I got my Rg350DX for $429 2 weeks ago.

Its basicly the same guitar except the 350 is better looking. It has a pickguard, and a matching headstock.

I see...
DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THE IBANEZ *****S ON HERE!!! THEY WANT YOU TO BUY ONE BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'LL MAKE THEM FEEL LESS STUPID FOR NOT BUYING AN ESP!!!

Stick to the ESP/LTDs. Better quality control, better pickups, better fit and finish. I'm still baffled by everyone whoring Ibanez and Jackson guitars...

As for an amp: Roland Cubes and AD-series Vox's are quite good. Crate RFX series aren't bad either.

Personally though I recommend this:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Combo
With one of these:
Pro Co Excellines Link Cable 1'-3'
And one of these:
Pro Co Turbo Rat

I hope you follow this advice, because I doubt you'd regret it...
Sorry I don't know how to post links (tech challenged.) Here are some search terms for good amps in the 5 watt tube range:
Epi Valve Junior (head only)
Crate Palamino
Peavey Valveking Royal 8
Fender Champion 600
All in the $200 USD range.
For metal the Crate Palamino would fit the bill nicely (master volume and a 10" speaker.) Fender Champion is good sounding but only has a 6" speaker and no master volume. I don't think it would sound metal even with a pedal. More of a blues amp. The Peavey only has an 8" speaker but has master volume. Decent gain, though.
Epi Valve Junior is a head and no master volume. Might not be the best for more metal-sounding stuff (though some say it is just fine with a pedal.)
Quote by RadioMuse
DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THE IBANEZ *****S ON HERE!!! THEY WANT YOU TO BUY ONE BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'LL MAKE THEM FEEL LESS STUPID FOR NOT BUYING AN ESP!!!

Stick to the ESP/LTDs. Better quality control, better pickups, better fit and finish. I'm still baffled by everyone whoring Ibanez and Jackson guitars...

As for an amp: Roland Cubes and AD-series Vox's are quite good. Crate RFX series aren't bad either.

Personally though I recommend this:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Combo
With one of these:
Pro Co Excellines Link Cable 1'-3'
And one of these:
Pro Co Turbo Rat

I hope you follow this advice, because I doubt you'd regret it...

Haha, yeah I have the feeling ESP's are amazing, but the F-50 IS made of Agathis... and lots of people say the pick-ups get muddy at higher-gains

Do not worry though, I will try the Ibanez RG350EX and the F-50 out of course

Ahhh but right now, I'm wondering whether I'd like the Ibanez RG350EX or DX version :p. Black or white... hmmm... most people seem to have black one's since they have starter packs and stuff, so right now the white looks more appealing hahaha Ah well, its' just looks though so it doesn't make much difference in playing

and uldhppi, thanks. I'll go look up the Crate Palamino right now