Hi.

I've got an Ibanez GRG170DX. My question is, should I bother with upgrades mods on it? Or should I save that money on a new guitar? If not, why?
G&L Legacy Special -> Line 6 TonePort GX -> Gearbox\GR2

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
do you need upgrades? I mean, do you have any complaints about the guitar? does it sound muddy, does it play bad?
Do you like the neck?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
If you mean electronics changes, I'd say go for it. Thats a pretty nice guitar. If you don't like the feel of it, then yeah, get another one, but otherwise I don't see an issue with getting some new electronics on it. Changing a tremolo, maybe, as that involves cutting into the body, which can change the feel and is best done by a pro.

If you want a new guitar, but like that feel, they sell guitars with the same neck and such but with a better trem and better pickups.
the thing is, if you're just beginning, or if you don't notice anything wrong with it, you don't need to upgrade it yet. Wait until you're more advanced to even be able to notice things like good/bad pickups or bad necks and stuff. then you can upgrade because you need to
I actually love the feel of it and the neck is almost perfect. New pups would be great. My only problem is with the trem but I don't really need one so I blocked it.

Thing is I'm getting a new amp soon and I don't think the stock pups on it can take advantage of it.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Quote by m3k
I actually love the feel of it and the neck is almost perfect. New pups would be great. My only problem is with the trem but I don't really need one so I blocked it.

Thing is I'm getting a new amp soon and I don't think the stock pups on it can take advantage of it.

ah, okay. Then I would change the pickups, your guitar will soudn a helluva lot better
Quote by m3k

I vote new pickups then. Duncan or DiMarizo (spelling? I never get that right...) are always a good call. PRS pickups are pretty cool too. My faves are DiMarizo (damn that spelling).
How about Gibson 59's? Will they work? And how about replacing the mid single pup with a Fender one?

Edit - Hmm.. tough question since my style varies. Everything from classic rock to modern metal ad everything in between. I like the occasional sound of singles for blues and strumming. The guitar has an HSH configuration btw.

Fender DG-19 Acoustic
Last edited by m3k at Jul 23, 2007,
Hmm, you could get a Fender mid pickup if you wanted to. A DiMarizo (****!! I give up *%^@$% $#^%#^ @##%@) Tone Zone pickup at the bridge isn't bad. Its not too too hot, but not to wimpy, and its got a good tonal range. Its pretty versatile. Not sure about a neck pickup.

Or you could just get each model Evolution pickup and pretend your Steve Vai. Those are pretty versatile too.
I really like the sound of soloing with the neck pup of a les paul. Can I recreate that sound with a 59' on the neck?

Fender DG-19 Acoustic