Well I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. My neighbor who is 11 years old recently asked me to teach him guitar and at first I said no but after a week of being pestered I gave in and said yes (and because his mum offered me $30 for a 60 min lesson).

He has never played a guitar before so in his first 'lesson' with me the other day I didn't teach him much on the guitar, just basic things like the names of stuff, caring for guitars etc as well as some basic cords (Em, G, D and Am). For the next lesson I have no idea where to go, should I teach him more cords or should I show him how to put the cords together into as simple song or maybe even some power cords?

He also loves metal and I really want to teach him, and he really want to learn some simple metal techniques such as palm muting but I don't know when I should start showing him these things either.

Also can you please recommend some very simple metal songs that I should teach him, all I can come up with is Iron Man lol. I really should have not taken this on.
My Stuff:
ESP LTD MH-400 (pic's here)
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
First of all - how long have you been playing?

I'd go for 3 or 4 more chords, maybe Dm, A, E and F (The F should go last, try to teach him barre). Then maybe a simple song with those chords. Similar stuff for the next 2 or 3 lessons, then go for power chords. And yeah, Iron Man is a good begginners metal song.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
strumming techniques? a lot of new people cant strum both ways very well at the start. Maybe teach him a really simple song (Smoke on the Water lol) or some powerchords as well.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
i'd teach him a few more chords such as C, easy F (x33210) and A. And then show him a simple song which uses the chords you taught him. Metal will be quite a bit beyond him at this stage
That's what she said
I have been playing about 4.5 years now, and i have 2 students i teach on a regular basis.

I frst went through CAGED chords, and did some basic rhythm playing to build thier rhythm playing and chord changing skills better,

Now i have been teaching them a while, i have taught them how to read tab...and gone onto power chords, and also chord theory and basic pentatonic Minors.
Well I've been playing on an off for 4 years but I have been playing for the last 1 and a half straight now and I do think that I am fairly decent.

binjajer, I was thinking about doing all of what you said and I will be teaching him more cords, it's just he doesn't really seem to enjoy it much but he loves it when I start playing some Master of Puppets or doing Sweet Child solo and other stuff alike.

BFun, yeah that is a good idea, i hadn't thought of that. May as well teaching him it straight away, but no, I refuse to teach him Smoke On the Water unless he asks me to lol.
My Stuff:
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Quote by binjajer
First of all - how long have you been playing?

I'd go for 3 or 4 more chords, maybe Dm, A, E and F (The F should go last, try to teach him barre). Then maybe a simple song with those chords. Similar stuff for the next 2 or 3 lessons, then go for power chords. And yeah, Iron Man is a good begginners metal song.

you forget C

like mentioned, get most of the open chords down first (and teach him some songs using them as well)
then teach him the names of the notes on the fretboard, power chords and how to read tabs, that should be enough to get him going between lessons
then slowly go onto the specific techniques
Cool thanks a lot guys, I'll keep on going down the path I am on now.

One more thing, should I teach him the intro riff of Megadeth Symphony of Destruction (the 1-3-1 on E string etc riff) just so he can play something he knows?
My Stuff:
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
does he like AC/DC?

Theyre REALLY good to start off playing.
helps you make your chord changes a lot faster with the basic A, E, D, and G chords.

if he doesnt like ac/dc...then....teach him that anyways
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Make sure he is using good technique with the chords. Help him to get every note to ring out clearly. Teach him all of the standard open chords and then get him started playing some songs. The AC/DC recommendation is a good one. Then you can get into some single note riffs and work towards barre chords. Take things slowly so he doesn't get too frustrated.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
Try and get a song that they recognise to learn. It's great for confidence to hear an actual song that you know, coming out of the amplifier.

One of the first things I learnt was Come As You Are, maybe that'd be a good place to start him song wise?

As far as techniques go:

CAGED
Strumming technique (up and down basically)
Power chords
Some single note runs
Start developing alternate picking

Stuff like that would be good.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^wats CAGED i never heard it before. is it just an abreiviation of saying the basic chords a beginner should learn?
CGDAEG
Quote by pinkzep52
^wats CAGED i never heard it before. is it just an abreiviation of saying the basic chords a beginner should learn?

Yeah, the basic open chords (i.e. not barred). C A G E and D.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I would teach him some finger exercises, a lot of chromatics and string skipping one note at a time stuff to get his dexterity up. THEN start with the chords - if the fingerings start to get too hard and crampy he could quit right away.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
teach him the Am pentatonic scale.

print out some sheets of the basic chords.

i have been playing for about 3 and a half years. but when i had a teacher. th first thing he showed me was the basic chords. and then told me to practice at home and he gave me a sheet. it will really help him if he can look at the paper and see exactly where to put his fingers.

also. i know this isnt metal but my teacher first taught me to play Take it Easy by the Eagles. lol.

it is a really good song and it covers all the basic chords
teach theory. start him off with chords then a chords grouping. then 7 major modes. then some harder scales like penetonc, blues, and arpeggios. then get into alternative picking. take it from there
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
yea ac/dc is really easy to play, teach him back in black. that uses a lot of chords and is extremely easy song
Yeah, i also strongly recommend/agree with teaching AC/DC, easy enough to learn and sounds great too. I'd also say teach him some scales, when i started i enjoyed learning the blues scale.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
Thanks everyone for your input. I have bookmarked this thread and will refer back to it a lot when I feel I need to.

For the next lesson or two I will continue doing cords and then we'll move on from there.
My Stuff:
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
I'd say first chords, teach him some rhythm parts with those chords (AC/DC just comes to mind...), then go into barre chords, but while teaching him barre chords teach him finger warmups and things to work on his accuracy. Then teach him penatonic (while still dealing with the barre chords), so on and so forth.

Try the Troy Stetina series from Hal Leonard.

Metal Rhythm Guitar Volumes 1 and 2, then move on to Metal Lead Guitar Primer, then Volumes 1 and 2. Take your time with this stuff, that whole series should take at LEAST a year to work through, and might involve teaching yourself stuff if you can't do it :p