Well, John McLaughlin (who he played with on the jazz guitar legend's fusion masterpiece Industrial Zen) says he is. I think that's going a bit far, or at least in this stage of his career, but an incredible player he is none the less.

Stylistically, he plays Jaco-esque lines (with incredibly precision, accuracy and feeling) in a much more modern context - jazz with heavy "hip hop, jungle, ethnic, and electronic influences" on his solo CD.

Technically, he's amazing, and you really get a feel for it with is recordings, but here are a few videos (posted by himself).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iLhuWhlUAz8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w18DRGwR-Ic
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
No, he's not the next Jaco, he plays just as well, but he doesn't change the face of bass playing like Jaco and doubt anyone will for a very long time.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Great playing, I think he might have the potential to be 'the next Jaco', but at this stage of his carrer its really to early to know.
I also like the way that he comments on his videos, very down to earth.

Edit: Sinan, you're back! Whats up man?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Ya, I have to agree with sinan. He plays just like Jaco, and in that sense may be the next. But Jaco still changed the way bass was played, and thats something this kid hasnt done yet and will probably never do...nor will any of us...
Just a question, how good are his own compositions in terms of as something to listen to rather than just being amazing bass parts?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
His compositions on his solo disc are really cool - just a mish mash of all sort of styles with quite a bit of effects, making the songs themselves sound little like Jaco, even if his playing drips with it. He often gives his basslines a very steady, almost synthlike feel, achieved through his incredibly even playing. He doesn't have the melody or soul of Jaco's playing, yet, and when he drips electric guitar into the music, I occaisionally flinch, as I'm not a fan of distorted riffing in fusion.

But I love some of the world music incorporated into it, and his playing is the fastest, most precise, even playing I have ever heard, even considering Jaco's recordings.

His work with John Mclaughlin is, of course, brilliant, but I'm not sure how much a role he played in the compositions, besides the obvious "for Jaco" track.

Honestly, I just found the quote about him and put it in the title to get some attention, as otherwise few people would have looked. I doubt he'll be anywhere near as influential as Jaco, and isn't as inventive. I agree with everyone who has posted. But he does put a modern spin on Jaco's playing, and has chops that match/beat the man himself.

EDIT: Buy/steal the song Marie Ael and gape at the solo. I'm going through the disc again and i'll pick out highlights.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Last edited by Yertle at Jul 23, 2007,
There it is, that Jaco tone. I don't think the next Jaco will use Jaco's tone. Jaco found his own tone, and if someone's going to be the next Jaco, they're going to have to find their own tone too, not use his.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I just bought his album and I was blown away, he has got his own voice and it comes through on the album. He is a real talent in terms of composition as well as technical ability.
Half Iago, half Fu Manchu, all bastard.