I've decided to coin a new term for bands who have the classic rock sound filtered though a punk and shoegazer prism. So the influences would be The Stones, Led Zep, The Stooges, The Clash, Pixies, Jesus And Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3. I think this should be called Black Rock as a) Black is used in the band names a lot and b) they wear a lot of black. Examples would be

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (most underated band in the world IMHO)
The Black Angels
The Catheters (sadly defunct, but recent)
Death In Vegas (at least the early stuff)
JET
The Kills
Nine Black Alps
Primal Scream (they've been doing it for years)

I guess what marks out the sound is stacks of Marshalls with lots of fuzz and reverb.

Anybody else like this stuff? Any suggestions for bands that could be added to the list.
Last edited by pmc100 at Jul 23, 2007,
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Sloopy
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

+1

Most of those bands you named are just garage rock bands...
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
+1

Most of those bands you named are just garage rock bands...

Yeah true, but garage rock covers a lot of other stuff. Everything from REM to The Killers could be called garage rock but is too poppy for this list.
Quote by pmc100
Yeah true, but garage rock covers a lot of other stuff. Everything from REM to The Killers could be called garage rock but is too poppy for this list.

REM=College Rock turned Indie poppy rock, IMO.

The Killers=Suck Rock.

A few garage rock bands are: The White Stipes, The Strokes, Jet, Nine Black Alps, and a bunch of other bands, many of which you named. So I would just stick to garage rock.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
REM=College Rock turned Indie poppy rock, IMO.

The Killers=Suck Rock.

A few garage rock bands are: The White Stipes, The Strokes, Jet, Nine Black Alps, and a bunch of other bands, many of which you named. So I would just stick to garage rock.

The White Stripes and The Strokes don't have the shoegazer influence though. A big part of the sound I am talking about is 'the drone' of feedbacking guitars with lots of fuzz. A great example is Red Eyes and Tears by BRMC or Get Your Guns by Nine Black Alps. Sure, it's a subset of garage rock but is distintive enough to be identifiable on its own IMHO.
Quote by pmc100
The White Stripes and The Strokes don't have the shoegazer influence though. A big part of the sound I am talking about is 'the drone' of feedbacking guitars with lots of fuzz. A great example is Red Eyes and Tears by BRMC or Get Your Guns by Nine Black Alps. Sure, it's a subset of garage rock but is distintive enough to be identifiable on its own IMHO.

True, true...
The.
I hear ya..

saw black angels and brmc last night. I'm still on a buzz.

when I try to describe the sound of these bands to someone I usually say something like 'dark, moody, psycadelic rock'.
OK, now we've all agreed what Black Rock is I'll add one to the list myself.

The Horrors. More punk than classic rock in influence, very cool.

Any others?
Quote by hardrock1315
The Black Lips
The Oblivians
The Beerleaders
The Black Keys

Maybe even the Hives?

Some good bands there, maybe more punk, not really psychedelic enough (hey I invented the term I'm allowed to be anal about it ). I already listen to the The Black Keys and The Hives, cool bands. The others sound pretty good to on the clips I found, I'll check them out, thanks.

The Beerleaders. What a fantastic name
I'll add one myself, Dead Meadow. Bluesy, physedelic melancholy rock. Think the first couple of Verve albums and your close. Excellent.
Hah, I clicked on the thread hoping to see some satanic/pagan/occult/dark-themed rock bands with sweet raspy vocals (like black metal). I am disappointed.
you have got to be kidding, "black rock" that will jsut make everybody think its some racial thing
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
Quote by Shaggy92
you have got to be kidding, "black rock" that will jsut make everybody think its some racial thing

You mean like black metal, Black Grape, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Black Beauty, Frank Black, Black Crowes, black 501's, black pens, black eyes, Jack Black, Pitch Black, black coffee, Black Sabbath, black holes, Black Eyed Peas, Men in Black, Johnnie Walker Black Label, black cats, the black country, the black hills of Dakota, black belts, Cilla Black, black people!

Twat.
Quote by pmc100
You mean like black metal, Black Grape, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Black Beauty, Frank Black, Black Crowes, black 501's, black pens, black eyes, Jack Black, Pitch Black, black coffee, Black Sabbath, black holes, Black Eyed Peas, Men in Black, Johnnie Walker Black Label, black cats, the black country, the black hills of Dakota, black belts, Cilla Black, black people!

Twat.

yep im mean Black Eyed Peas, look at the band members, Men in Black, Will smith,
but anyways you forgot Black Label Society,ha ha but everyone here agrees with me so you lose
Sitting on the edge of nowhere.
Watch Out or Ill Steal Your Girlfriend... or Wife.
Roll Tide
I wouldn't call it Black rock but I like the idea of it. Black rock doesn't seem to capture the sound of it. Vibe Rock would be a better term, just my opinion. The vibes from those bands are soooooo good.
Quote by Shaggy92
yep im mean Black Eyed Peas, look at the band members, Men in Black, Will smith,
but anyways you forgot Black Label Society,ha ha but everyone here agrees with me so you lose

Actually.. I disagree with you.. The Black Eyed Peas only have one fully black member.

Will. I. Am.-Fully Black.

Apl. De. Ap.-Half Black, Half Phillipines.

Fergie-White

Taboo-Mexican.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Here's two more

Black Mountain - Zep, Sabbath, Floyd, Stooges, it's all in there, and some female vocals for a change, cool.

Comets on Fire - Very very Floyd influenced.

I'm really enjoying finding these.