Thanks for taking the time to read this...
I have been recording music for 5 years now, and playing for longer.

I've been using an old crappy computer (still on windows 98) with a 1/2 decent soundcard using LP Recorder to record it, Cool Edit Pro to edit the seperate tracks and eJay Music Director Gold to load the tracks on, and to mix the song the put the music together.

I have achieved amazing results I feel considering the stuff i've been using. I have a set of drums mics and a Rode N1NA, and a good quality behringer mixing desk.

Now HERES THE MAIN BIT:
My comps died! I've come to the conclusion I love music so much I'm prepared to shell out a few grand to seriously upgrade my studio to make professional recordings. I've heard macs are the best to make music with. So all you folks who have really good music gear (I mean really really good, PRO STUFF), can I have your advice please??? Tell me the best sound cards, mics, macs ect... cheers!!!!
Orophin
There is no "Best" gear. Go to the shops, try the stuff out for yourself and see what you like. Macs are OK, but PCs are just as widely used for recording. I decided to take the free and open-source studio route and got myself a Linux setup. I saved a lot of cash because all the software is free

As for outboard gear, you should go mixerless. Get a firewire interface like a MOTU or Presonus box. The firestudio is nice, plus it comes with 8 built in pres, which saves you a lot of money. Do the mixing with your software DAW.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Mac + Logic Pro = win.

I just finished work experience in a professional studio. The guy was running a huge mixing desk (not sure what make) into a Mac. He was using Logic Pro. He said he's used Pro Tools before as well, which does basically the same thing as Logic but he preferred the layout and ease of use of Logic.

Also, when you say 'studio', how much of a studio is it? As in, is it a separate building, all fully soundproofed and wired for recording? Or is it part of your home (in a basement etc.)?
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Cubase SX 3 is excellent software for recording, Especially if you team it Up with Reason for mixing and mastering

Shure Sm58 = Amazing Dynamic Mic for Vocals
Shure Sm57 Amazing dynamic mic for micing amps and such,

And, youve already got a Behringer mixing desk, But i wouldnt actually recommend anything behringer if you want quality, The stuff tends to die pretty soon and lose its edge, if it had any to begin with haha =P

Edit: I agree with the guy who mentioned Firestudio, Firestudio or a Firepod are the way to go
I Love Oreos, And im English =D
Last edited by Conica at Jul 23, 2007,
The studio is seperate from the house, but not soundproofed, basically a big shed with cheap carpet with electric. SM57/58? I want REAL REAL good quality. I like recording everythin with mics, guitar, bass, drums, save mainly strings ect. I don't like midi, but I love real sounds. Do you want to hear what my 'studio' has atm??? IE the results? I'm amazed, but i think i've just about got to its full potentual in recording. It's taken 5 years lol. Thx loads people, keep it coming!!
Orophin
Quote by MIKE_EKIM
do you play live at all?

I havent played infront of a bigish audience in 2 years. I record all instruments live though.
Orophin
Macs are great pc's they just they just have 2 big problems, you pay like two thirds of the price just because of the brand which in my opinion sucks, well the second problem is that hardware for macs is just way harder to get than hardware for WINDOWS-
What I would do is to build the pc yourself or pay someone who knows about pc's for it.
Looking for a new sig!
Now HERES THE MAIN BIT:
My comps died! I've come to the conclusion I love music so much I'm prepared to shell out a few grand to seriously upgrade my studio to make professional recordings. I've heard macs are the best to make music with. So all you folks who have really good music gear (I mean really really good, PRO STUFF), can I have your advice please??? Tell me the best sound cards, mics, macs ect... cheers!!!!

in my opinion i would get a pc instead of a mac and install windows or do a combination install windows and linux and you can choose which one you want to use linux is a complex system to use but you can get free software since many people do open source projects if you get a pc in my opinion it would be easier to get recording equiptment and there's usually more software for recordings in windows for example cubase i have seen only a few programs for mac for recording like garageband and other software they may be excellent software but i believe there's more limitation if you get a mac the most important thing to choose is the type of recording hardware you going to use for example audiocard or other kind of external hardware
I don't mind payin for a good mac. But I know they have cons too. I've just heard people serious about music get 'em... lol

http://lukas.dmusic.com

Here, check out some samples. Don't choose the first song, thats a remix of an AVA song...try the 2nd one. That's the best produced. I want my recordings significantly better than that!
Orophin
well the second problem is that hardware for macs is just way harder to get than hardware for WINDOWS-

i agree with this guy the hardware is harder to get and if you want professional recording equipment there's more variety in pc that in macs and also they are expensive as hell compare to a pc and also is easier to put other type of operating systems in a pc that in a mac
Quote by Orophin
The studio is seperate from the house, but not soundproofed, basically a big shed with cheap carpet with electric. SM57/58? I want REAL REAL good quality. I like recording everythin with mics, guitar, bass, drums, save mainly strings ect. I don't like midi, but I love real sounds. Do you want to hear what my 'studio' has atm??? IE the results? I'm amazed, but i think i've just about got to its full potentual in recording. It's taken 5 years lol. Thx loads people, keep it coming!!

The SM57 is a great microphone, and it delivers good quality sound. You don't need omnidirectional condenser microphones for every instrument. Sure, you wouldn't use an SM57 to mic a clarinet, but it's perfect for guitar and bass cabs, close micing drums, and other loud instruments. Besides, I'd think that you, with all your said experience, would know that the preamp has more effect on the sound than the microphone does.

... You don't like midi? Why not? If you just don't want to use it because you think 'real' sounds are better then get your head outta your ass. Midi is a great tool. You can sequence a whole song and edit your score afterwards if you made a mistake or feel you need to add something more. Not to mention all the midi-compatible synthesizers, hardware and software, out there. They can create sounds that no 'real' instrument ever could. You should seriously reconsider your foolish prejudice.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Conica
Cubase SX 3 is excellent software for recording, Especially if you team it Up with Reason for mixing and mastering

Shure Sm58 = Amazing Dynamic Mic for Vocals
Shure Sm57 Amazing dynamic mic for micing amps and such,

And, youve already got a Behringer mixing desk, But i wouldnt actually recommend anything behringer if you want quality, The stuff tends to die pretty soon and lose its edge, if it had any to begin with haha =P

Edit: I agree with the guy who mentioned Firestudio, Firestudio or a Firepod are the way to go

Yet another person who suggests an SM58 and SM57 together. They sound nearly identicle, you will not know the difference. The only difference is the SM58 has a ball capsule and a windscreen and has a very slight differences in frequency responce.

@Threadstarter throw out some budgets. Like you mention you want professional, so does that mean you have 200,000.00 that you can spend on a studio. Can you spend even a 10th or a 5th of that? Are you only looking to spend like a few hundred.

You really need to set a budget, and offere what you plan to do. Consider room treatment, cables and wiring. Theres a million factors here it sounds.
Quote by Orophin
Thanks for taking the time to read this...
I have been recording music for 5 years now, and playing for longer.

I've been using an old crappy computer (still on windows 98) with a 1/2 decent soundcard using LP Recorder to record it, Cool Edit Pro to edit the seperate tracks and eJay Music Director Gold to load the tracks on, and to mix the song the put the music together.

I have achieved amazing results I feel considering the stuff i've been using. I have a set of drums mics and a Rode N1NA, and a good quality behringer mixing desk.

Now HERES THE MAIN BIT:

98!?!?!

wow...haha

see my sig for Tweak's guide. That will walk you though a whole upgrade for either a computer setup or MTR setup.
also the message board over there has tons of info on pro. recording gear and studio setups.
Get rid of that "good" Behringer mixer for starters. There is no such thing as "good" Behringer mixing desk imo. There are some "almost acceptable" ones, but certainly not any great ones. Besides that I cannot help you until you throw out some numbers and tell what sort of things you wish to record.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

RITEO chaps...I'm looking to spend about 2K...

What I have atm is all mics into behringer desk (cost me £230 (450$) which has about all the inputs n outputs you could need) (good or not good i dont care lmao - but please tell me the ones you go for anywho) which in turn goes straight into the line in on this 4 year old creative sound card, which cost me then about £120 ($235).

The computer is okay...not too slow. must be about 400k of ram, not enough drive space, and 1150hz processor.

I'm thinking of gettin a new computer. A pc: A good new case, An AMD duel core processor, dvd writer, 2 hard drives at 250g each, ultra quiet fans, a firewire thingy, and a presonus firepod firewire sound card.

Now of these sound cards, there are in built preamps, which is why i like the look of them, and they seem good value for money. There are two different modals i'm looking at, one almost double of the price of the other...

http://www.inta-audio.com/pp/Sound_Cards/Firewire_400_Sound_Cards/Presonus_Firepod_Firewire_Sound_Card.html - cheaper option, looks good to go at £280 ($565)

http://www.inta-audio.com/pp/Sound_Cards/Firewire_400_Sound_Cards/Presonus_Firestudio_Firewire_Sound_Card.html - more expensive option, featuring much better preamps (i think) and other thingys at £520 ($1040)

Check them out and see which you would recomend. Thank you ever so much
Orophin
400k of memory? How do you manage to run an operating system? You must mean 400mb.

Go for a new computer with at least 2Ghz clock speed. If you want to shell out lots of cash for a fancy Intel Core 2 Duo then go right ahead, but I'd go with an AMD chip. Then get 2GB of the fastest DDR memory you can find. The motherboard you get to match your AMD chip will most likely have a SATA controller, so two 250GB SATA disks will do you well, and if you wish to create a RAID array your performance will increase.

The Firestudio is an upgrade to the Firepod. The pod has been around for a while, the studio is quite new though. I'm not sure what the exact difference is, but I've heard that the Firestudio is significantly better.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Orophin
The computer is okay...not too slow. must be about 400k of ram, not enough drive space, and 1150hz processor.

Holy christ, I hope you're either A) joking, B) have no idea what you're talking about, or C) made a few bad typos. 1150hz and 400k of ram? Did you buy it in the early 80s, or something?

If you mean 1.15GHz and 400mb of ram, well that's still really horrible. Get a new computer.
LMAO I meant 400mb...hahahaha sry i was in a hurry. I'm ordering 2moz ppl so come on!!!
Orophin
you're in wayyyy over your head. spend about 6-12 months researching. seriously. ive been researching for 2 years. ive purchased very little. ive recorded quite a bit with a setup similar to yours.

put away that 2 grand. go over to tweakheadz and homerecording.com and do some SERIOUS research. you really do not seem to have a good enough general idea of whats out there and what works with what and whats "professional" and what isn't.

i'll tell you right now, 2000 is nothing in this hobby. 2000 dollars is what makes the kinda studio that settles for behringer, sm57s, and great deals on ebay and the like.

you do need a new computer. id suggest building one.

your recordings do sound great. you have done some amazing stuff with the gear you have. but i guess youve spent so much time with that gear, that you havent paid much attention to whats happened to the technology over the past couple years. stay up all night on MF and sweet water and harmony central and tweakheadz and research craig anderton and find his articles and his forum at harmony central.

there is an unfathomable amount of information to be learnt. but luckily, you should find it all very interesting if this is the right field for you.

good luck.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
6-12 months?!! bloomin hell...the thing is i learn best when i do it. Mmmm and thats alot of recording time!! Mmmm but seriously, that presonus firewre and firepod are highly reccomended. Also i'm english so 2k is £2000 which is $4000...but i can spend more than that. What do you have in your studio then Mr Marshel?
Orophin
Last edited by Orophin at Jul 26, 2007,
like i said. very little.

msh mics from naiant studio and a dual channel preamp into my soundcard. im mainly recording acoustic and electric guitars. everything else is done in midi: drums, strings, etc.

6 months seems like a lot. but it is not wasted recorded time. you are already recording, and seem to be enjoying it. slowing build up your system in the right order so as not to spend it all in one big blow.

heres what i'd spend the money on in order:

room treatment. this is where research is a must. it can be devastatingly complicated, but with help form people on other forums, you should get by just fine. spend a grand here.

monitors. dont chince here. i think you probably already have some. but if not, nows the time to buy some good ones and get it out of the way. research, research, research.

next is your interface. something like the firepod sounds like it will be perfect for you.

THEN worry about mics and all the fun stuff.

buy some 57's, check out naiant studio store and buy a pair of msh mics for overheads, acoustic instruments, etc.

spend 100-600 on your vocal mic.

a d112 or something for bass/kick drum.

plus some other various mics for the rest of a drum kit. or some different guitar cab mics.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
^ Don't forget to make sure you have your monitors in perfect stereo to where you're sitting when you mix.

And as far as "fun stuff" goes, don't leave out instruments. A good studio has a wide variety of instruments. You can have all the best microphones, 128 faders, 50 guitars, 2 Vox AC30's, an Ampeg stack and a 12-piece drum kit, but your studio will be no better than your standard rock band practice room.

You've gotta get some awesome rare gear. That's what makes a studio great. If you've got a Hammond B3 with Leslie cabinet, a couple Roland Space Echos, a Moog synthesizer, Fender Rhodes, and a couple vintage samplers then I'd pay you big money to let me record at your place.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
2k is too much to blow at one time, unless your name is Tom or Chris Lord Alge (well almost). Personally I just think it would be a waste, as by the time you learn how to use all that stuff to its potential, you will be years down the road - when newer, (possibly better) recording interfaces will be out.

For right now I would get a new computer (get an Intel Core 2 Duo - not an AMD), and a Personus Firestudio, and then add on some mics to gradually replace the Behringer ones. Shure SM57, maybe an SM81. The cardinal rule is typically if you need to ask how to spend 2k, you shouldn't be spending that much. You sound like a dedicated recordist - and I just want to make sure you don't waste your money.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Quote by thrice_removed
(get an Intel Core 2 Duo - not an AMD)

He can spend $400 to $1500 CAD on an Core 2 Duo or Extreme. Or spend $200 on an Athlon 64 FX, not that he even needs two cores to record 24-bit/96khz audio. I do it successfully with an Opteron 146 2.0Ghz.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
A 1.86 Ghz Core 2 Duo is $165. And though he may not currently need it, it will make his computer last longer before becoming obsolete.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

I find it interesting. You have a relatively large sum of money to spend, you expect for people in a GUITAR forum to tell you what to get so you can order it the next day, when you have no idea what you are really looking for. I'm with the other main recording guys around here in saying that you need to do your homework. I've been doing my homework for years too, making minor increments, I'm always reading and always learning of new things. I think the greatest advice I ever got was a link to this website http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm, as someone has already mentioned. You really need to truly understand what you need. Those time lengths of 6 months and stuff are just approximations, its just saying an amount of time you need to decide something you need. And I think you've already decided here that the first thing you need is a new PC.