I once again had myself fooled by the simplest electronic circuitry imaginable.

My plan was to make a simple blender for my Squasuga Fabulous Fretless Frankenstein Jazz bass. By wiring a potmeter to each of the two single coils and then feed the signal from both these potmeters into a third and final potmeter I figured it would be possible to blend the signal from the two pickups. Twist off the potmeter of the bridge pickup and only the sound of the neck pickup should be heard; twist off the neck pickup and only the bridge pickup would sound. By dialing in other positions I hoped to be able to blend in each pickup into any mixture I fancied. The third pot would then determine the overall volume of the mix.

But it doesn't do no such thing. It shuts off all sound whatever potmeter I turn off. What basic law of nature that everybody is aware of makes this happen? Please don't let any underestimation of my stupidity refrain you from suggesting the obvious. I really don't have a clue.
Sounds to me like because the way you have it wired, when you have one pot off its breaking the circuit, unfortunatly I don't have much knowledge in electronics so I'm not sure of a solutions...
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
You should have them wired so that the input is on one of the outside pins and the output on the inside, the third is unused.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Really? I found the pots in the original Kasuga lay-out having the third pins grounded. Also the casings of the pots were attached to these pins and to the ground wires from the pickups. That is also what the diagram says that came with the pickups, as well as the diagram provided by the Squire site.
Or do you mean that I should leave the two pots of the pickups ungrounded and connect all the ground wires to the master volume pot only?
So you want a neck volume, bridge volume and a master volume?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Really? I found the pots in the original Kasuga lay-out having the third pins grounded. Also the casings of the pots were attached to these pins and to the ground wires from the pickups. That is also what the diagram says that came with the pickups, as well as the diagram provided by the Squire site.
Or do you mean that I should leave the two pots of the pickups ungrounded and connect all the ground wires to the master volume pot only?

I THINK that by connecting the 3rd pin to ground, once you sweep it all the way to ground, it grounds the entire circuit, same reason you can't use the middle position on a les paul with the volume of one of the pickups all the way down.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
I THINK that by connecting the 3rd pin to ground, once you sweep it all the way to ground, it grounds the entire circuit, same reason you can't use the middle position on a les paul with the volume of one of the pickups all the way down.

The third lug of a pot is normally connected to ground when wiring guitars...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I had this same problem. Just swap the input and output, and leave the third attatched to ground. It should be as simple as that. If your les paul can't control each pickup individually when in the mid position, but one is turned down, then it's probably wired wrong, but get a second opinion, im not sure.
Thanks for the input folks. I have put the Kasuga knobs and switches back in place and everything is in good working order now. I'll be a week off and then I'm going to test your hypothesis and figure out what happens if I leave the resistors inside the pickup pots ungrounded. It is indeed likely that the whole circuit shuts off when one meter hits zero and that this will be cured when I leave the third pins of the two upstream pots unused. I'll test it and see what happens. I'll report on this as soon as I know the outcome.
Thanks again.