Hi, I'm making a Rangemaster clone, and I ordered a Ge transistor from SmallBear. Instead of going for the 2n5087, I saw they had an actual Rangemaster Ge transistor. I got it today and it happens to be a ETCO 2n1305. I wanted to know, since I can't find it on the net anywhere, if anybody knows if the pinouts are the same or a way to find out which pin is which. Thanks.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
It's got a tab on one side, yeah? Hold that tab so that it's pointing north/up. Then, from top to bottom, it's E-B-C.
^hey kurtlives91 my rangemaster works pretty decently. no buz, no hum, only boost in treble with low noise. it sounds a bit compressed but i kinda like it.

RangeMaster is a nice pedal. but not for everybody.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
whaaat??? o.O i don't have an LED on mine yet lol. guess what??? i blew three LEDs yesterday hahahaha
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i did, but my hand slipped three times when i was holding it in place and it just blew it right off.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Haha, I blew my only Ultrabright LED yesterday too when testing the resistor values, it's gonna have to be a standard LED until I can get some more in.

Anyway TS, try this, Kerry showed me it: http://modecideas.com/faq91.html

I believe your Transistor should be either 1 or 2 on that diagram, it doesn't make much odds which.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Ok, so I got everything put together now and tested it. It works fine in bypass, but is extremely low volume when switched on. I love the sound of it, though, I just had to turn the volume on my amp to 9 lol. Anyway, it seems to me like this would just be a loose connection or something like that on the board, right? I just wanted to get the experienced pedal builder's opinions before I did something stupid. I checked Geofex's debugging page and this part was empty
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
Do you have a multimeter? They're useful when debugging. Make sure that power is getting to the transistor, and make sure that it's fully in the socket (if you used sockets).
Yes, I have a multimeter, but I didn't socket the transistor. When I get home I'll probably use the old reliable audio probe method. It worked nicely for my Tubescreamer clone when I couldn't figure out what the hell went wrong.

I love doing this kind of project. It's what inspired me to go into electrical engineering (and I'll finally be in major this fall semester after a year of taking prerequisites...)
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
I didn't get a chance to do the probe yesterday, but hopefully I will be able to today. Anybody else have any suggestions for when I get back home?
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX