Alright well while im pretty handy with a soldering iron, im not to fond of wiring diagrams... but anywayz Im thinking about getting a SH-5 for the bridge of my faded SG. Here is the diagram I got off of seymour Duncans site...

Now I understand that since im not doing any kind of coil splitting I can tape the red and white wires together...

But the bare and green wires, it seems that I solder them both to the bridge volume pot. But im not sure what the black wire is comming out of them is? is it just another wire to connect all of the grounds from the input cable to the pots? Does it come with the pickup?

and I take it the green wire has the braided wire around it that I solder to the pot to ground it?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
the black is the output from the pickup, it goes to the left solder tip of the bridge volume pot just like the diagram says, dont forget to tin the wire

the green and the bare (silver) go together ( i usually twist and tin them together)
they are the ground and they solder to the bottom of the pot

Seymour Duncan diagrams are 100% correct so just do exactly what they say

edit: the little picture of the braided jacket is for single wire outputs like the sh-59 model
and they are a pain in the ass but if your pickup has the 4 wire then your ok
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Last edited by blacklp at Jul 23, 2007,
yea I just opened up the back of my guitar for another look and its basically the same, so basically I just gotta ground all the wires, and then solder the black wire to the one connector on the bridge volume pot, there are already connectors there that connect it to the tone pot.

meh doesnt seem to hard now...
Just all the wires are like right together and soldered ontop of the neck volume pot right as they leave the body into the cavity, thats gonna be a pain to seperate them, haha...

And one more really nooby question, is that ive never taken pickups out before...but from the looks of it, you just remove your strings and lift them out using the screws on the sides...correct me if im wrong... But i dont like leaving my strings off for too long...

as always thanks for the help
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
well i just loosen them alot then i take the pickups out
not really hard

unscrew the pickup rings first they should come right out after you desolder the wires

as for the soldering, just desolder the wires by putting the iron tip on the joint and pulling the wire you want out, it should come right out, then put the new wire(s) back on top of the joint, tin the tip of the iron and push the wires back in the solder joint

also i dont know what tips you have but a wider tip (like a flat screwdiver looking tip is really useful for working on the pot grounds cuz the tip is hot over a wider area)

i guess practice helps, i change my pickups out pretty quick once i get everything prepped

just remember to TIN THE STRIPPED WIRES it makes life easier that way
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Last edited by blacklp at Jul 23, 2007,
yea i got the soldering stuff down, its the anatomy of my guitar that im iffy about but good tips and good advice none the less...

what im not really sure about is the pickup ring this is the best picture i could find on the web, i can take some more pics of my guitar if need be

http://www.theguitarcave.com/guitar/sgfadedbody.jpg

but the only thing visible are the screws that adjust the height of the pickups, i did not think that those took them out of the cavity too... i guess im thinking that I have to take the pick guard off and I wont want to :P
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial