Page 1 of 2
You know how stupid salesman can be, so I thought we should make a thread of these things. Well, mine was:
"MGs are just as good as tube amps. I the same speaker, and it's all the same execpt the tubes make it a little warmer, that's all".
Share the stupidity with us, fellows!
Gear:

Guitar:
2007 MIJ telecaster

Amp:
Fender Blues Junior

Effects:
Fulltone 69'
Maxon ROD881

Member #1 of the Telecaster Alliance

Founder of the MIJ Headcourt
PM me to join
Last edited by DWFK at Jul 23, 2007,
it wasnt a salesman but " why would you go with 65 watts. 25 watts is enough to do the excell energy center. and its cheaper which makes it better."
Me: The wireless system i got from you is creating a lot of hum, i tested my set up with a cable and it was fine
Sales guy: well it could be your input idk if your bass is bad
WTF tard
theyl do anything to make a sale!
one guy said that there was no way of getting lefthanded guitars cheaper than the one they had in, that was about £400 or something! thinking beginners have no sense lol
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
(salesman shows me a pick holder with an LED to light up fret board)
Salesman : yeah you attach it to the head then the light shines down the fretboard. you know like boy racer cars with the neons underneath? your guitar will look just like that.
Me : O.o Uhhh... yeah... great.
25 watts is enough for the excel, do you think they don't mic their amps?
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
Not the dumbest thing they said, but a guitar tech locked the trem on my Squier, but put the back plate on the wrong way round so I couldn't restring it without taking it off again. >.<
Quote by matt6666
(salesman shows me a pick holder with an LED to light up fret board)
Salesman : yeah you attach it to the head then the light shines down the fretboard. you know like boy racer cars with the neons underneath? your guitar will look just like that.
Me : O.o Uhhh... yeah... great.

Hahaha Lol.
Quote by jhjps
25 watts is enough for the excel, do you think they don't mic their amps?

no **** you mic up but i said yeah if you mic up and he said wtf you dont plug a mic in an amp for guitar. i should have included that
*guy uses light based tuning device to tune guitar*
Me - That's a nice looking thing you've got there.
Guy - Yeah, they're free when you buy those three pack of strings, really accurate for tuning and becaue it doesn't rely on noise, you can do it in loud clubs and stuff.
Me - Oh, that's awesome man, really cool.
*hands me the Epiphone ES-175*
Me - Thanks.
*strums guitar to find it horribly out of tune*
Me - ....I think I'll stick to my trusty 5th fret method, thanks.
*starts tuning guitar by ear*
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by MIKE_EKIM
it wasnt a salesman but " why would you go with 65 watts. 25 watts is enough to do the excell energy center. and its cheaper which makes it better."

25 watts tube is enough for most situations... and 65 watts isnt much louder... youd nead two hundred and 50 watts to make it twice as loud
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by DWFK

"MGs are just as good as tube amps. I the same speaker, and it's all the same execpt the tubes make it a little warmer, that's all".

Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
I've overheard a salesguy spew prtty much lies to people to make a sale, most of which I can't remember.

the only one I can remember is when the guy said that some MOSFET tube simulating amp was better then an actual tube amp, and he also said its better because it has built in effects
"i can wire a 7 way switch into your strat if you want" - he meant a 7-way blade switch, i've been informed on this forum they didn't exist. being a noob at the time i believed the guy, but didn't want my strat modded.

also in another store the salesman said "don't bother with the laney VC-15, its too loud for practicing but not loud enough for gigging, get a fender instead". The next day i was in there to look at a fender mustang (it pwned) and he said "put it through the VC-15, it's a really good amp".
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 23, 2007,
The spider's tone is nothing short of awesome. It's by far our best selling amp, with all the effects its the BEST in the market...
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Quote by Blompcube
"i can wire a 7 way switch into your strat if you want" - he meant a 7-way blade switch, i've been informed on this forum they didn't exist. being a noob at the time i believed the guy, but didn't want my strat modded.

also in another store the salesman said "don't bother with the laney VC-15, its too loud for practicing but not loud enough for gigging, get a fender instead". The next day i was in there to look at a fender mustang (it pwned) and he said "put it through the VC-15, it's a really good amp".

I can see his point a bit on the second one, even though he is wrong really. The VC-15 is loud enough for gigging as long as you don't want much clean headroom.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
The most stupidest thing?
i was trying out a Fender stratocaster, and the salesman said
"thats the best Fender Les Paul we have in stock"
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by FRDesign
Apparently I need a 50ft $99 Monster Cable to play in my bedroom....

i find that quite funny lol
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Shop in New York a few years ago...

Sales person: What kinda music do you like?
Me: Hair Metal, Neo-Classical, Death Metal
Sales person: I have a used Marshall MOSFET in the back. I think you would like it.
Me: I've never heard of those, are they a fairly new model?
Sales person: No, no! They are the precurser to the MG
I give a sort of disgusted look and say: Are they any good?
Sales person: Yea they are good they have a lot of things going for them.
Me: Like what?
Sales person: Chuck from Death played one.
Me: And?
Sales person: Chuck from Death played one. (This time he said it in a emphasized tone)
Me: I mean, why does that make them any good?
Sales person: Because he's a guitar god!

I should have ended the conversation there by saying "KILL YOURSELF!" and walking out, but I let him bring one out. It sounded like ****, from low to high volumes there was no escaping the awfully bad tone.
The salesman drunking and loud said "You know Why that PRS is so exspensive? Becuase the The wood its made of is from brazil. Its illegal in the states so keep it on the down low, But thats the one I would buy If I were you." he did'nt give me know specs or anything. he just took it down a bassically threw it at me
I was looking at a practice amp and went to a guitar store.Suddenly this guy that works there says that if I wanted a good practice amp I should try the marshal MG 10 wich is 10 watts.Since I read a lot and know my stuff I know what an MG is.So he goes into telling me that thats a marshall and thats what legends use.And out of curiosity I ask him "so what is this "legends" amp worth?"

He says its worth 160 bucks because its a MARSHALL.My mom(doesnt know about guitars) asked me if it was THAT good she would buy it for me.So I tell her to hold on for a minute,and went to the car to get my musicians friends catalog because I knew it was a cheap amp.So when I came back with the catalog I looked for the marshalls and the mg was like 70 bucks.So I sayed"nahh Ill buy a Pignose hog20 from musiciansfriend and left the catalog in the MG page open in the counter and left with my mom lol.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Quote by KissingShadows
Shop in New York a few years ago...

Sales person: What kinda music do you like?
Me: Hair Metal, Neo-Classical, Death Metal
Sales person: I have a used Marshall MOSFET in the back. I think you would like it.
Me: I've never heard of those, are they a fairly new model?
Sales person: No, no! They are the precurser to the MG
I give a sort of disgusted look and say: Are they any good?
Sales person: Yea they are good they have a lot of things going for them.
Me: Like what?
Sales person: Chuck from Death played one.
Me: And?
Sales person: Chuck from Death played one. (This time he said it in a emphasized tone)
Me: I mean, why does that make them any good?
Sales person: Because he's a guitar god!

I should have ended the conversation there by saying "KILL YOURSELF!" and walking out, but I let him bring one out. It sounded like ****, from low to high volumes there was no escaping the awfully bad tone.

Yeah, but Chuck from Death played one. :P
At GC they had a Zakk Wylde LP running through the Wylde OD, and I unplugged the amp lead from the MG it was in to put it in one of the better Marshalls like the JVM or Vintage Modern, when this huge guy who looked like he should be working tech support somewhere looks at me dirty and says "That guitar is rigged to go into this amp, see it running through the MXR here?" and he took the lead, through it back in the MG, and it will sound much better through this amp, these are state of the art, abd he starts f'ing around w/ the settings, and finally hands me the guitar and walks away.
he told me i was good! XD lol
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
The salesman at the guitar shop where I bought my first guitar (a Westfield soloist copy) said:

"It's a great beginner guitar because it's got this tremelo *makes whammy noises* and FIVE different settings!!"

Who needs a floating trem on their first guitar?
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
It pisses me off when you spend 5 minutes explaining your requirements to a salesman, even mentioning for example a valve practice amp and when you finish talking they direct you to the MG's and say "these are our best selling amp".
Yeah, because you push them so much!!
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Little_Buster
The most stupidest thing?
i was trying out a Fender stratocaster, and the salesman said
"thats the best Fender Les Paul we have in stock"

haha what a moron
Sales Man: So what are you lookin' for in a guitar?
Me: Lemme just check out some of your guitars with Floyd's.
SM: Why would you want one of those?! Locking nuts never keep them in tune.

Another time, different store
Sales Man: So what are you lookin' for in a guitar?
Me: Got any guitars with a Floyd?
SM: A what?
Me: A Floyd.
SM: Huh?
Me: A Floyd Rose.
SM: Floyd Rose?
Me: A tremolo!

There was also a salesman who tried to sell me a used RR3 for $1,000.
I went to this one local shop and the guy was actually knowledge-able. He sold tons of Marshall Tube amps, and a few from the 60's and 70's. I asked him how does an MG compare to the Crate SS amps he sold, and he told me: I seriously don't know why I carry those, they are terrible amps and mostly n00bs buy em. The guy said that he is then ordering some MG's in once all the Crates are sold.

He them played through an MG Mini-Stack he had around, and the owner of the shop was really good, and he played with a Epi goth LP special(I didn't know they made goth versions)

It sounded pretty cool!
^You really need to stop deffending your amp every second post you make. I am sure everyone else is tired of this as I am.
Gear:

Guitar:
2007 MIJ telecaster

Amp:
Fender Blues Junior

Effects:
Fulltone 69'
Maxon ROD881

Member #1 of the Telecaster Alliance

Founder of the MIJ Headcourt
PM me to join
"marshalls are the only tube amps you can get any dirt out of"

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My friend told me that he bought a 3000 watt amp. I just about pimp slapped him.
I was at a shop and the strap were out of my reach (I am teh sh0rt) so I asked a salesman if he could grab me a Leather strap and he says, "dude, ya gotta get the one with metal studs, it keeps the resonance alive for more sustain." I did not want to be rude so I just told him I'll remember that for next time, but wow....
Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)
^^

that happened to me kinda. I wanted to buy one thing but ended up buying another. I was getting picks, and this guy walked up to me and basically bought mediums with my money. I didnt complain cuz mediums wut i use.
I was gonna buy some tubes at the guitar store, the lil boxes were placed neatly behind the counter, some were packaged in transparent plastic packaging. So I asked the saleman if i can have a look at some tubes he has in stock. And then he replied the store doesnt sell tubes...

In another store, I asked if they sold Kahler bridges, and the salesman said no. About 3 steps away from the counter, i found some in the glass showcase.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Something to the effect of "You don't want that Peavey Valve King, the best amp for your money is this Marshall MG50DFX. It's Marshall. Everybody loves Marshall."

No ****ing thank you.
i seriously think that my GC is the only not filled with morons lol
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Page 1 of 2