Page 1 of 2
What's the difference between maplewood and rosewood? Since it's the same price...
And I want to get some...better parts for the guitar, any suggestions on what to get & why?

Edit: If you don't recommend getting a squier, give me a name of a good pretty cheap electric guitar.
Last edited by Mlairuk at Jul 23, 2007,
Maple fingerboards tend to sound ever so slightly brighter than rosewood. But it doesnt really matter on a Squier to be honest with you. And if you're looking to replace the parts, you may as well just buy a different guitar altogether, will probably work out cheaper, and youll have a better guitar from the off
Maple gives a brighter tone, rosewood is more warm sounding, and maple feels more smooth and solid which some people prefer, i personally prefer the tone and feel of rosewood though, i find it's more versatile.

and insomniac it does make a difference on any guitar no matter how cheap.

You should try a few squiers if you're dead set on getting one, they aren't bad, i love the feel of them, they usually need new pickups and wiring, but some will be better than others so make sure you try all the ones in the stores and find which one is the best, and DON'T buy them off the internet - there are a few really poor squiers.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I want a squier because it's a second guitar, I'm saving up for a les paul and I'd rather not save the extra $200 to get a fender instead of a squier. And I'm going to be playing in a place where it's going to be left unattended a lot, and there might be careless people. So upgrades on a squier is good for that, unless you could recommend a cheap guitar that has a good sound...
Quote by insomniac_style
But it doesnt really matter on a Squier to be honest with you. And if you're looking to replace the parts, you may as well just buy a different guitar altogether, will probably work out cheaper, and youll have a better guitar from the off
ya. and the body is made of agathis, which is some second rate wood, so een if u swap out the hardware u wont a premium sound. also, youll hav 2 tell your friends that its not a fender, which wont b fun. u should probably save your money. if this is gonna b your first guitar, then it'll b ok, and u should get a starter set w/ it from a local guitar shop. i wouldn't gig w/ my squier P-bass, and i know my cousin wouldnt gig w/ his squier strat.
Quote by Mlairuk
I want a squier because it's a second guitar, I'm saving up for a les paul and I'd rather not save the extra $200 to get a fender instead of a squier. And I'm going to be playing in a place where it's going to be left unattended a lot, and there might be careless people. So upgrades on a squier is good for that, unless you could recommend a cheap guitar that has a good sound...

If you're going to use it as a gigging guitar... just don't. The agathis wood or is crap, its all second rate parts. Splurge for the mexican strat. Its worth it.
dude plz dont get a squire everytime some buys a squire jesus drowns puppies. for the puppies sake dont get a squire.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
My squire has a adler body. Its like ten years old throgh. Its a tough guitar. Thats about it though
I don't know... Everybody here is basically saying that Squires are bad guitars... I bought one from a friend not too long ago, along with an amp. I like it... It is my first guitar, and it doesn't have the best sound that I've heard, but it works fine for me... I really don't know the specifics on mine (wood type on neck or body, etc...), but I would definately suggest getting a squire if it's your first guitar, or your just looking for a new, cheap guitar to just mess around with...
You gotta play them. I've been to some guitar stores that sell some top quality squiers amongst the pile of plywood bodies.
I got mine for 30 dollars used, I got my moneys worth out of it. Just find a used one Its worth having just to keep dead strings on and use it to drill.
squier strats play great if you take the time(or pay a shop) to set them up correctly. Get the action, intonation, truss rod adjusted correctly and you will have a great playing guitar for little money. Sure, it wont be up to par with a MIM or a MIA strat, but why do you think it costs less money? As for sound how they sound, your amp gives you 90% of your tone, so if you dont like your sound it is probably your amp.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
After you run it through a bunch of stomp boxes nobody will hear the difference.
I've played some REALLY good ones in my day, and I'm waiting for the right Squier Tele to come my way so I can pick it up for some cheap fun.

edit: The Squiers
Check 'em out. They' play with only Squier Equipment. It's pretty neat, really.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
If I had a penny for everytime somone mispelt Squier in this thread... D=

THere's lots of great squiers available for the money, some of which are made from decent tonewood, affinities are made from alder. Affinity teles are pretty nice but the strats have alot to be desired in terms of feel and quality. The vintage modified squiers are very nice. You just have to stay on the lookout.
You'd have 6 pennies :P
Thanks guys, if you don't recommend a squier, could you tell me what guitar you'd recommend that's pretty cheap but with a good sound?
Epiphone! What's your budget, the amp you're using, and style of music?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Well, before I had this REALLY trashy cheap guitar and an ok amp, but my friend...retard....idiot....failure of life....uhm....borrowed it while i was away, took it in his basement, turned it up all the way, took his bass, plugged it in, turned that up all the way...and started playing with his band.

The amp was 10W.

I want a new amp. But the amp is probably going to be a Line6 Spider 3, 75 or 120W. I don't know too much about amps either, any suggestions...

Amp is under 500
Guitar is under 400
And I just want like...a typical unflashy kinda normal guitar, not some hello kitty strat or something outrageous like a flying V.

And if I'm already getting a Les Paul, do you really think I should get an epiphone?
for a cheap guitar, look at Ibanez RG series, for an amp, VOX AD series, either AD50 or 100 if its under $500, and also Roland Cube 60.
Quote by Pulling Teeth
for a cheap guitar, look at Ibanez RG series, for an amp, VOX AD series, either AD50 or 100 if its under $500, and also Roland Cube 60.

Roland Cube 60 = pwnage. I have one, I love it. Even after I get my 4x12 cab I'm debating on if I wanna keep it.

RG Series, amazing. I love them.

For a total $1100ish you can get an Ibanez RG1570

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar?sku=519965

and a Roland Cube 60

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-60-Guitar-Amp?sku=480197
I NEED the good amp, because I'm setting my eyes on a Gibson LP, but the guitar I'm looking and asking about here is a secondary guitar that MUST be under 400. What good are good guitars and amps if you're trying to play them as a hobo on the street?
RG1570 is a looker, but yeah limits must be set. Try looking at the RG350/RG370, theyre not completely bad (I'm thinking of buying one right now) and should hold you over until your Gibson. Plus they look pretty sweet too. I'm not completely sure about prices though, I'm Canadian so I don't really look at places like musiciansfriend or zzounds that seem to have pretty good deals, so take a look around. If the Cube (or Vox even, I have the AD50 and I think its good, but Cube is better so I've heard) is in your range, go for it.
Some Squier's are really nice. The MIJ MIK are well worth their money. The Fender Squire Pro Tones are awesome guitars and were just as good as the American made Strats in the 90's. The MIJ JV and SQ Squiers are some of the most sought after Fenders. The MIJ E and O series are very well built also. Below is my Pro Tone collection and I would not sell them for any amount of money.

Could you give me a link for the squiers?
...And I don't get what the difference is between those and just buying a squier off...I dunno, GuitarCenter or something?
Quote by Sid McCall

edit: The Squiers
Check 'em out. They' play with only Squier Equipment. It's pretty neat, really.

I wish I had thought of that thats really cool.
Check out Blem Fender MIM strats on musiciansfriend if you are a sensible person and don't mind scratches. Or, go Used.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
...I'd rather try out the guitar before buying it, and definitely not off eBay for something over 100 bucks...
I'll look at the blemished ones, thanks.
Quote by silvertoness11
dude plz dont get a squire everytime some buys a squire jesus drowns puppies. for the puppies sake dont get a squire.

and every time someone spells "Squier" wrong, the population of n00bs doubles. Thanks so much...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
dude, i don't care how good some squire's can be, i just don't trust them, if anything, try out an Ibanez RG 321, it's a fixed bridge mahogany bodied RG that'll get you a good les paul type sound and it's around 300 i think, said to be an excellent guitar, look at a schecter omen, epiphone les paul, anything other than a squier!!!! lol

yeah vox valvetronix and Roland cubes are good, but when i played them side by side i chose the vox hands down, it's all preference though
The Yamaha Pacifica 112 could be a close substitute for a low-end Squier, except the Pacifica has a humbucker on the bridge. The 112 comes with an alder body and rosewood fret board. They are a lot of guitar for a low price.
I have a 1983 MIJ Squier JV Series Strat...and it lives up to the hype around the JV guitars. It plays WAY better than any Fender USA I've ever played, and it was built with American parts, pickups...the works....Once I get it set up in a shop...well it will be pwnage
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Get a MIM Tele off Craigslist for around $250. I found a nice one for $215. Doesn't sound that much better than my Affinity Squier though. I just put a Bigsby on my Std Tele, so I'll probably put the std bridge on my Affinity and drill it for a string thru conversion.
Quote by Chad11491
dude, i don't care how good some squire's can be, i just don't trust them

n00b population doubled
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
I prefer maple. If your going to get new parts, go for grover tuners ( I'm pretty sure they also make smaller one for strat style guitars), and purchase a seymour duncan hot rails bridge pickup. And then your all set.
Quote by Bloodshed
I have a 1983 MIJ Squier JV Series Strat...and it lives up to the hype around the JV guitars. It plays WAY better than any Fender USA I've ever played, and it was built with American parts, pickups...the works....Once I get it set up in a shop...well it will be pwnage

So do you have the Fender logo with the funky Squier on the tip of the headstock?

Page 1 of 2