hi, been playing for a year. I wanted to play the Hangar 18 song. I know i can play the rest of the song expect for the solo's. here is a example: would i need to know Sweep picking for this section?
e|-17p13----------13-17p13-17p13-17p13--13-|
B|------15------15--------------------15---|
G|--------14--14---------------------------|
D|----------15-----------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------|

e|-18p13----------13-18p13-15p12-13-12-------17p13---16p13---16-16~~-|
B|------15------15---------------------15-13------15------15---------|
G|--------15--15-----------------------------------------------------|
D|----------15-------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

and advice you guys can give me to play this song a little easier.
LOL
Argh, the infamous hangar 18 solo...

Practice from square one, my friend. If you don't know how to sweep pick, then DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT SOLO UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO.

Find some lessons on UG and start slow until you get the feel for sweep picking.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
No, you don't need to teach yourself the sweep picking technique for Hangar 18, I alternate pick that part. That being said, you're going to want to learn sweep picking eventually and the arpeggios in the solos are much easier to play swept.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yes you will need sweep picking or if you are lazy you can play it Legato until your sweeping technique is developed. That was the first solo I ever learned, and because of it, it defined the flavor of my playing style! Good luck!
do you think its most of the song needs sweeping or this section? I'm going to practice to sweep and play the solo slowly so i can build in my memory. thanks for the help!
LOL
ive actually been meaning to learn this song for a while and its quite good to know that you can use legato for those sections.

i really love the way the song is constructed
Top lel.
yes the mood of the song changes alot and i like how it does it. It doesn't seemed forced in their. Thumbs up for Megadeth!
LOL
Quote by the memory
ive actually been meaning to learn this song for a while and its quite good to know that you can use legato for those sections.

i really love the way the song is constructed

You can, but it will be harder. I'm just assuming that he has already developed Legato technique, but hasn't gotten down sweeping yet. For now I would just hammer on the notes and palm mute maybe picking the really necessary notes in the passage...
Quote by KissingShadows
You can, but it will be harder. I'm just assuming that he has already developed Legato technique, but hasn't gotten down sweeping yet. For now I would just hammer on the notes and palm mute maybe picking the really necessary notes in the passage...

nice setup man!
LOL
from what i've heard, marty only sweeps the notes which go up in pitch, he doesn't sweep the other way.

Something like that.

either way, i just play it using sweeps. you'll need to learn sweeps, most likely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only hard thing about that song is getting the vibratos to sound like Marty's
If u dont know how to sweep pick, dont try that yet. Its not the hardest, but its an intermediate level sweep. Start with that one part in Bat Country.
Quote by BlackicN
The only hard thing about that song is getting the vibratos to sound like Marty's

true that's a major part, but the chops are hard as hell too. I can do the vibrato, not the chops, lol. i'm strange, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
true that's a major part, but the chops are hard as hell too. I can do the vibrato, not the chops, lol. i'm strange, though.

The whole thing's hard!
toshay!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?