Alright. So I have this Peavey Valveking 112 sitting in my room here that I never should have bought. I'm sick of it's crappy tone and poor craftsmanship (I have to yank the input cord around in the input jack to get sound out, 3 months old) so I've decided to save for like a Marshall JCM 800 or 900 ? Head and cab.

Heres where my questions are:

Whats the difference between the Marshall JCM 800, 900, and the DSL or something? (saw it on eBay)

Or, if you think a different amp would be better just say; I'm into anything but like extreme metal genres although I like playing metalcore, screamo, Underoath, Atreyu. Etc.

I guess my price range would be around $1000 because I plan on buying used, or else say if thats not a good idea. Thanks.

Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Jul 23, 2007,
everyone's gonna say get the peavey 5150. I have the DSL but I'm not sure if it can do metal too well unless you have a pedal. If you search around hard enough you can get a good deal on a marshall... I managed to get the DSL401for around 400 (retails at about 1100)
Is that better then the Marshall for what I need? I really wish I could try this stuff out
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by tr3nt
Or, if you think a different amp would be better just say; I'm into anything but like extreme metal genres although I like playing metalcore, screamo, Underoath, Atreyu. Etc.

And you have a Schecter Hellraiser?
+1 to the above.

I am a massive Marshall fan and would love to recommend them to you then I read your genres, a used 5150 or even a XXX is probably the way forward, even if you are going to buy used try and get to a shop to try them out first.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by Leonheart
And you have a Schecter Hellraiser?

Yes I love it.

if you can find a used mesa boogie that might work perfectly for you as well
I want something that can give out Punk, Rock,Hopefully sometime even Jazz for school. Metal.

I've always wanted a Mesa Triple Rec :$

I don't really have the money right now, I'm sorta just lookin so I have somethin to work for.

i hate my valveking too, and im in the same situation as you, except i have a c-1 classic!, but the jsx is really nice, i tried it out, but i wish it was cheaper
c-1 classic
mim strat (not fender)
valveking 112
Boss dd20 giga delay
Boss phase shifter
more to come
fender acoustic

my band

Quote by someperson
buy a wah wah pedal. Easier to use, and you won't have to re-tune your guitar after you use it.
Hmm I can get a used mesa for around $1000

Marshall table hmm.. Is there any other tables for different companys?

Quote by SCnutty
everyone's gonna say get the peavey 5150. I have the DSL but I'm not sure if it can do metal too well unless you have a pedal. If you search around hard enough you can get a good deal on a marshall... I managed to get the DSL401for around 400 (retails at about 1100)

That's nonsense, I can get a brutal metal sound out of my DSL without any pedals. Just crank the volume on your combo and you'll know it!

As to your question, the difference is in terms of gain. I would recommend the DSL because you can get similar sounds of the JCM 800 and 900, and more gain if you want it. But I must admit the JCM 800 is ideal for ball to the wall hard rock, 80's (thrash) metal. But this is just my opinion.