Post what you had to read for summer reading and if you liked it or not. Also what grade you'll be going into if you really feel like it.

I've read Huck Finn was good, but Love Medicine was terrible. And what made it worse was a lack of sparknotes. I still have to read The Woman Warrior, and I'm in the middle of a book I have to read for US History.

You?
Quote by PinkIsCool
Yes, but it's a FACT that most metal artists have more musicainship and technical skill than pretty much all rappers.
The Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde- 65 pages (DONE)

Death Be Not Proud 200 pages (havnt even bought yet and i have 2 weeks before school starts)
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Whatever the hell I want! I don't have to do any summer reading cause I was never asked before and now I'm out of school for good (til uni hopefully). I still might continue reading stories from the Forgotten Realms (Drizzt Dourden based novels by R.A. Salvatore at least).
I'm reading House of Leaves. I recommend it to anyone with an open-mind and a thirst for new perspective.
The Great Gatsby and Hunger of Memory. But I haven't started either because every time I get my summer reading out of the way early I never remember anything by the time school starts and I consequentially fail all the assignments on them...I'll start reading 'em in a couple of weeks.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. From what I've read so far, it seems to be pretty good. I just don't want to have to throw together thirty quotes from the book to support my answer to the essay topic.
I'm going to start reading The Last King Of Scotland and War Reporting for Cowards sometime soon. That's all choice reading I don't have to read them.

I already read Oh The Glory of it All (good book) Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (great book)
I'm currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. It's a nice read so far. I'm on page 211 out of 290.

I'm going into 10th.
I have to read Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck and another book of my choice.

I haven't started either yet but I've been told Of Mice and Men is short.

I'll be a Junior in HS
"The poor didn't want this one."
AP Lit./Comp. 11th grade
I had to read Lord of the Flies, Le Morte d'Arthur, and a book of my choice.
I read Lord of the Flies already and I'm just going to use Sparknotes for the written assignment. My book of choice was Hollywood by Charles Bukowski. Loved the hell out of it. And I have to read Le Morte d'Arthur in like a week starting Wednesday. And then do all of the written work for all of the books. Easy enough.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
^Lord of the Flies was pure hell for me. I had to read during the summer 2 years back and I ended up reading it a month before school started. I didn't remember anything and I was totally unprepared.
I liked LOTF. The writing style is good. Most books are over-analyzed and made out to have more meaning than they do, but I sincerely believe every word in that book has as much meaning as the book itself.

Strange that you're reading it for AP Lit. in the 11th grade.
Quote by Arthur Curry
I liked LOTF. The writing style is good. Most books are over-analyzed and made out to have more meaning than they do, but I sincerely believe every word in that book has as much meaning as the book itself.

Strange that you're reading it for AP Lit. in the 11th grade.

That's what I thought. I've read the book before and it's definitely not an AP Lit. level book. But then again, some of the people in the class aren't necessarily at an Ap Lit. level either...

OMGWTFBBQ
I had to read it for Freshman English Honors but I don't understand it being for an 11th grade AP.
I had to read The Chosen by Chaim Potok. IT WAS HORRIBLY HORRIBLY BORING. To me anyway.
Also Treasure Island. I dont know why. It is way below mine and my friend's reading levels.

Im going into 9th grade gifted.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

*PEYTON*
I don't have to read at all over the summer, but I've been doing it anyways.

I've finished Searching For Bobby Orr, and Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows...actually, I also re-read books 1-4 of that series as well.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Bayonetwork
AP Lit./Comp. 11th grade
I had to read Lord of the Flies, Le Morte d'Arthur, and a book of my choice.
I read Lord of the Flies already and I'm just going to use Sparknotes for the written assignment. My book of choice was Hollywood by Charles Bukowski. Loved the hell out of it. And I have to read Le Morte d'Arthur in like a week starting Wednesday. And then do all of the written work for all of the books. Easy enough.

i read LOTF in 8th grade lol
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
I just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm about to start on "Mythology" by Edith Hamilton and I'm also working my way through the Bible.

All of this is by choice seeing as I dont have summer reading. I'm about to start college.
Hamlet, Grendel, and Metamorphoses
I haven't finished any and I'm going into 12th
"Whenever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Whenever they's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there . ."
The Grapes of Wrath

RIP Ingmar Bergman
I've read two books by Grisham

The Agent and The Jury or whatever it's called in english.
AP Lit and Comp
The Secret Agent
Brave New World
Lord of the Flies
The Stranger

AP World History
Collapse (With page long discussions for each chapter)
Half of a World History Textbook

AP Calc and Physics
Several chapters of three textbooks
www.myspace.com/theflyingelderly
We're Progressive Funk Rock (Frog Rock)

Founding Member of the Vermont Cult
PM Me to join

Quote by magnus_maximus
MAD should do its job and it'll all be hunky-dory.
Quote by C.C. Deville

Death Be Not Proud 200 pages (havnt even bought yet and i have 2 weeks before school starts)

Wow! a whole 200 pages in 2 weeks? You better buy it right now or you won't get to the end!
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
We have to read The Scarlet Letter, take 20 important quotes from the book and explain why they are as such, and write notes throughout the book. We also have to print off 5 long essays from certain writers and answer questions over them. It's long and boring.
Well I'm reading the deathly hallows but but it's not for school. I also read the Bourne identity and plan to read the Bourne supremacy before the summer ends. BTW none of this is for school.
myspace.com/theunwantedjellybean <--- Add It!
I am in the middle of reading Timeline, by Michael Crichton. I think it's very good, suspenseful, and interesting. I would reccomend it to anyone who likes science fiction.
hhaha reading for school?
the cool kids do it for fun...

lately i have been on sort of a play kick so i have read some henrik ibsen, tennesee williams, and am moving onto camus

i also read portrait of an artist as a young man and cat's cradle. currently working on falling man by don delillo, but i am not too far into it.
Quote by uhh_me?
hhaha reading for school?
the cool kids do it for fun...

lately i have been on sort of a play kick so i have read some henrik ibsen, tennesee williams, and am moving onto camus

i also read portrait of an artist as a young man and cat's cradle. currently working on falling man by don delillo, but i am not too far into it.

How was "Portrait of the Artist..."? I bought it a while back with Dubliners, but haven't gotten around to reading it.

OMGWTFBBQ
just like how i felt about dubliners i thought parts of it were good and other parts were horrible
i'd say it is worth reading, but it isn't the amazing thing that i had heard it was
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I'm currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. It's a nice read so far. I'm on page 211 out of 290.

I'm going into 10th.

That's probably my favorite book i've ever read. Very Good.
Right now i'm reading Thus Spoke Zarathrustra by Nietzsche still.

Quote by styxandstones3
I had to read The Chosen by Chaim Potok. IT WAS HORRIBLY HORRIBLY BORING. To me anyway.
Also Treasure Island. I dont know why. It is way below mine and my friend's reading levels.

Im going into 9th grade gifted.

I had to read that freshman year too, I didn't think it was that bad.
Quote by PinkIsCool
Yes, but it's a FACT that most metal artists have more musicainship and technical skill than pretty much all rappers.
I've got to read Huck Finn and Lord Of The Flies, and then my choice of a couple Dickens books. I haven't started any of them yet, but I've been reading a bunch of Terry Pratchett and wondering why that can't have been assigned. Also HP. I'm going into 9th.

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
Quote by pinkertown
I had to read that freshman year too, I didn't think it was that bad.

I think I had to read that, but I'm not sure. What was it about?
Quote by pftyeaiplaybass
I think I had to read that, but I'm not sure. What was it about?

Some Jewish kids and their dads. I don't remember to be honest, it kind of makes me want to read it again :/
Quote by PinkIsCool
Uncle Tom's Cabin- boring until a good ending
Cannibal Corpse

Quote by THE JEWISH AFRO
Good Golly Gosh!

nice sig...
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon

I loved The Kite Runner and The Curious Incident... but The Road was crap, and the teacher that I'll be having for AP Lit. (the class for which I read these) agrees so it probably won't be stressed.
Quote by bigwillie
CornLord, you just blew my mind.