Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. I'm facing an amp situation. I was wonderin if u guys could help me make a decision on whether I should buy a Marshall MG100DFX or Marshall MG250DFX amplifier. I mean, they both have 100W of power, but maybe u guys could help me out. Or should I just go with a Marshall Half Stack w/ the MG100DFX Head. What do u guys think??
what everybody else will tell you hear, buy a decent tube amp for the price. My friend had a Marshall MG100DFX, and it was no good. Really, you couldnt get a good sound out of it. A 30w-40w tube is about all the sound you ever need..maybe theres some cases you MIGHT need more, but probably not. A 30-40w tube un-mic'ed would be as loud or louder than the marshalls you're looking at can get.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

prepare to be faced with an onslaught of comments such as "dear god nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" and "get a tube combo instead" but trust me, listen to them

edit: see? 2 of them in the small time it took me to type this out lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
As a guitar player who genuinely cares about my fellow musicians: Get a tube amp. DO NOT BUY MG'S. Check the forum's search function to find out why.
yeah, people are going to be very mad at you for even thinking of buying that thing!

seriously, it might look okay because it's a stack. who doesn't like a stack? but the sound quality is very poor. and a 30 watt tube combo might be just as loud and sound WAAAAY better
Quote by fender_212
get a tube combo for that money. the MG's are really just wasting your money

It's like choosing death or death by ooga booga. Do yourself a favor & try out some tube amps first. You'll be glad you did.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
This conceptuial diagram best illustrates your current dilemma...

They're both crap.

Solution? Buy something good instead...how much you got to spend and what kind of music do you play?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Dont listen to these people. I don't know the difference between the two, but I recorded with a MG half stack and it sounded great, very crunchy. Just watch this video of a guy who actually knows how to play a guitar testing the MG100DFX. Sounds better than any of the $3000 10 watt tube amps any of these people bought"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xMuJe4VIaE

"buu buu buuutt teh toob is bettah!!"
Quote by patriotplayer90
Dont listen to these people. I don't know the difference between the two, but I recorded with a MG half stack and it sounded great, very crunchy. Just watch this video of a guy who actually knows how to play a guitar testing the MG100DFX. Sounds better than any of the $3000 10 watt tube amps any of these people bought"

Sounds thin, even with the delay. And he never really pushes it in the way that you would need to in order to tell the difference- like some good fast swing jazz where the notes aren't all the same volume.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
the MG is a beginners amp that isnt going to get you the sound you want. you may think it sounds good now, but in a few weeks or months you will be sick of it. if you give a price range and a style of music you play people can help you make a much better choice.

and at Mark's diagram
Quote by patriotplayer90

Yeah, don't listen to these people who've been playing the guitar LONGER THAN YOU'VE BEEN ALIVE....they don't know crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

OMG TOTALLY BUY AN MG! THEY'RE AMAZING.

Just use the search button to find out just how amazing from all the happy owners.

Sheesh.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by patriotplayer90

No it's not, but if you're going to make the argument, at least choose some GOOD SS or digital gear to compare.

Please, if you don't believe the many on this forum (and the many many more that have posted bad reviews about this amp elsewhere on the intarweb) then try it for yourself. If you really like it, then buy it by all means. But please, do this one test...just grab one of the knobs and wiggle it a little. Feel how flimsy that is? Keep in mind the entire amp is made to those same standards.

And really, this is a long dead horse. We're not even beating on the entrails anymore, this is just a red stain on the desert floor. This thread should be closed.
Meh, cancer v louder cancer.
Neither, there are plenty of better options, I owned an MG, I can honestly say it doesn't even compare to a true valve amp. And mines a pretty mid-budget valve amp at that.
You could get a great amp in the same price range with enough volume to bring your neighborhood down.
Quote by patriotplayer90

yeah but he'd make anything sound good because of his playing. But obviously him playing threw a better amp IE the DSL videos he's done, his tone sounds much better.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
yeah but he'd make anything sound good because of his playing. But obviously him playing threw a better amp IE the DSL videos he's done, his tone sounds much better.

Yeah, he's getting an OK tone through that MG because he seems to be an alright guitarist and he won't be playing it that loud.

MG's are overpriced and you could get an entry level valve for the same price. Iknow what I'd choose.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

do you guys ever wonder if these people ask you whether or not they should buy an MG just to get this kind of reaction?
Quote by ScottishAngus

Well I overreacted, but my point is that the MG is not the best sounding amp out there, but I have played it myself and thought it sounded great. You could probably get a pignose tube amp or something else for around the same price, but it wouldnt be the same as owning a marshall.
Quote by SCnutty
do you guys ever wonder if these people ask you whether or not they should buy an MG just to get this kind of reaction?

Yeah man, I do get that feeling alot of the time >.<
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by patriotplayer90

like peanut butter but without the smell?

you dont even know the difference between the two amps? ill give u a clue, the answer is in their names.

my tube amp cost about the same as the piece of garbage MG i bought when i was first starting out. so shhh.

TS, what's ur budget and music style?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
There's no point owning a marshall that doesn't perform like a Marshall. If Ferrari made a 1 litre hatchback you wouldn't buy it, you'd be disgusted at such a cynical marketing ploy tarnishing the reputation of a great brand - this is the same.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by patriotplayer90

Did you record it yourself? I've proffesionally recorded MGs, they sound horrible and take a lot to make them sound half decent.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
My music style is hard rock. My price range is like $400-$600. So it seems most of u guys r sayin 2 forget the MG series and go 4 a tube amp. IDK if I want a tube amp tho. I kind of like the solid state amps, cause thats what I have rite now. I appreciate ur guys feedback tho.
it's fine if you actually prefer solid state sounds , imean it's basically all down to opinion. the only problem is that for a solid state that actual sound sreally good, you need pay as much as you would for a good tube amp too. in you're price range the only decent SS amp i can really think of is the roland cube (might be able to get a 60w version for under $400 i don't know what they cost in the US) or a cheap hybrid amp like the vox ad series, or for metal the ad XL series (it can manage rock as well)
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by patriotplayer90

You actually rate gear by soundclips of which you don't know what pedals/extra EQing he's using?

you phail, MG's blow get over it
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'd go with a Peavey Classic 30 or Crate V32 Palomino. Both are tube amps, but like someone above said, there aren't any SS amps in your price range that compare to the tube amps in terms of tone or loudness (tube amps are much louder and sound much better louder).

If you're set on a SS amp I'd go with the Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix, but I think you'll be much happier with a tube amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90

Except that he's probably running it through an entire professional pedal board. I have an MG and it sounds nothing like that.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by steven seagull
This conceptuial diagram best illustrates your current dilemma...

They're both crap.

Solution? Buy something good instead...how much you got to spend and what kind of music do you play?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
There's no point owning a marshall that doesn't perform like a Marshall. If Ferrari made a 1 litre hatchback you wouldn't buy it, you'd be disgusted at such a cynical marketing ploy tarnishing the reputation of a great brand - this is the same.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by patriotplayer90

you sir, have horrible taste in tone.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
good SS = line6 vetta, but thats way out of your price range so try some tube amps
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
MG100DFX is equal to having your d*ck cut off, being forced to eat it, **** it out and eat that, choke on it, while your being raped by a prison and having your fingers pulled off your hands.

MG250DFX is equal to having your d*ck cut off, being forced to eat it, **** it out and eat that, choke on it, while your being raped by a prison and having your fingers pulled off your hands.

What stuff do you play?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ok, thx 4 ur guys opinions. I'm gonna start lookin in2 the tube amps now. Any suggestions?
I like 2 play rock/hard rock, so yea. Any opinions on good tube amps r very welcomed and appreciated.
Quote by patriotplayer90

i'm not arguing about tube v SS crap, but thats exactly whats wrong with MGs, they sound okay when you're listening to someone using one, but play through it it sounds terrible to your ears because there are no dynamics whatsoever, fret noise is the same volume as the notes etc, you will not be satisfied with your tone through an MG. also, you can get decent 30 watt tube amps which are perfectly loud enough (tube amps will appear a lot louder than a solid state of the same wattage) for around £300 (epiphone for example). If a 10 watt tube amp cost $3000 (why do people who are noobing against tube amps always shout "$3000" anyway?), there's probably gonna be a good reason... but i've never seen one THAT expensive, go to your room!
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
If your in the UK lok into the Laneys VC30, LC30II, TT50, also Crate Palomino, Peavey Classic, Traynor YCV, Fender Blues Jr., Randall RG50TC, eBay is a good option.
i have an mg and its crap i cant wait to get rid of it with overdrive on its **** and when its on clean its ****
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Well for what you play threadstarter a Peavey Windsor is a great choice!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Page 1 of 2