In recent weeks i've been getting a band together. I'm a self sufficient musician as far as you can go (drums, bass , guitar, vocals, etc) . I have a group of guys to gig with, but in order for it to work, I have to sing lead vocals and play bass. I am a decent bassist, But I am posting to get advice on what effects to use or are neccesary for good live performance. I'm buying a Hofner Violin Bass, because it is the only bass with the sound I want in my price range (unless someone can suggest a Hollow bass that is not bright sounding), and I'm going to run it through a 100 watt keyboard amp or a behringer 60 watt.

any suggestions on effects, basses, effects would be appreciated, as I have never performed with a bass live ( I record the bass on our recordings)

Thanks!
Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Gretsch 5120
Fender Bassman '59 RI
Ibanez fretless bass
Don't get the Hofner. It's too expensive and not all that good. Try the Epiphone knock of, the Epi Viola. Better value, and, some would say, better qaulity.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
dont get the epi! i have heard many horror stories about epi viola basses, i would go with the hofner, its not that expensive if i remember correctly.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
I hate the Hofner after I tried it, definitely wasn't worth £949, more like £300, but if you like the sound then buy it. I tried a Duesenberg Viola bass copy which kicked the Hofner's arse in my opinion.

For live play I'd get an EQ pedal and a compression.

EDIT:
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
actually the hofner was only 350. It was a deal because the next step up in hollowbody bass was 450 and I wanted to get the effects as well.
Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Gretsch 5120
Fender Bassman '59 RI
Ibanez fretless bass
I've seen the cheaper version of the Hofner which retails about £400, but the "genuine" Hofner was around £1000.

EDIT: The contemporary Hofner violin bass is cheaper than the 500/2 reissue, that's it.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.