Hi everyone im new to the ska genre and i would like to know what are some good bands/albums there are in ths ska genre for me to listen to. Please do not suggest punk.

Im looking for the catchy ska music you find on the radio. I love the really jazzy sounding ska music usually with the brass section. Thats why i want some ska i love jazz and its like a cross between jazz and punk.

I was just listening to Superman by Goldfinger and I believe it is ska (altough WMA lists it as alternative) because if I turn on the ska station on the radio the music sounds similar. Anyhow thats one of my favorite songs but only song i have in the ska genre.

Also if you suggest a band it would also be helpful if a good album by them is suggested as well.

Thanks in advance.
CGDAEG
Last edited by pinkzep52 at Jul 23, 2007,
Catch 22, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, RANCID, Reel Big Fish, Mustard Plug...

^^All great

Also, check out Fatter Than Albert
bUMp and i would like to have some good albums by the artists if thats possible
CGDAEG
Madness - One Step Beyond
The Specials - S/T
The Selecter - Too Much Pressure

Get those ones.
3rd Wave: Catch 22-Keasbey Nights, Streetlight Manifesto-Everything Goes Numb, those are the two best 3rd Wave Ska albums IMO, really punk but just incredible albums. Reel Big Fish is cool too.

2nd Wave is a bit less punk but still catchy as hell, got pretty big a few decades ago. I'd reccomend you grab a Specials album, a Best Of or Greatest Hits will do fine. If you want to go waaaay back to the beginnings of ska you might be interested in the Skatalites.

The Toasters are an interesting ska act that sorta crosses over the different waves, and Westbound Train is really cool Soul/Ska. My personal favorite ska band is without a doubt the Slackers though, best ska there is, The Question is their best album I think. That should satisfy your ska craving for a while I think.
Quote by SkanKBasS777
I'd reccomend you grab a Specials album, a Best Of or Greatest Hits will do fine.

I would disagree and say get their self titled album.
Quote by sargasm
I would disagree and say get their self titled album.

i agree with your disagreement and would also like to add that "peculiar" is the best slackers album
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
there is a Local band from NC, they are called, Dawn of the Dude.

they have a purevolume site, my favorite tunes are Summer Anthem, Laws of Distraction, and Brownies for Paris.

Ya'll should check them out.
Wow, you guys are disappointing. He asked for jazzy ska, and you didn't say the Pietasters? Find some of their songs, they're amazing.
The Planet Smashers. Amazing band.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by MX4Life
The Planet Smashers. Amazing band.

Agreed, also get The Specials, Madness, The Selecter, Bad Manners...
Quote by Ska Wars
i agree with your disagreement and would also like to add that "peculiar" is the best slackers album

Seriously? I despised Peculiar, most of the songs can be found on other albums and it sounded so lifeless to me. Oh well, to each their own, I think we can all agree that a Slackers album would be a good choice, regardless of which one.
wow thanks for the results guys i have some cd buying and downloading to do. and yes i like more jazzy ska than straight out punk so im not really into bands like rancid for example.
CGDAEG
Why the hell has there been no mention of Less Than Jake? Or Operation Ivy?

Both of those and Rancid are the best ska-punk bands ever. Undoubtably.

Big D and the Kids Table are damn good too,
Quote by Kinflame
Why the hell has there been no mention of Less Than Jake? Or Operation Ivy?

Both of those and Rancid are the best ska-punk bands ever. Undoubtably.

More like

lots-of-doubtably
Quote by WalkBoyWalk
cat empire

good f uckin call
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm