What effects are good for getting a tone similar to Adam Jones's from Tool?
Thanks
I just read an article about him in guitar world and all it says is that he uses two Diezel Heads and a hot-rodded vintage Marshall bass amp. As far as effects the only thing it mentions is a talk box.
I believe he just uses a delay and (maybe) sometimes an overdrive/distorion pedal, I read somewhere that Adam Jones dislikes effect pedals
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
Last edited by TaV0 at Jul 23, 2007,

His normal distorted tone though is just his guitar with the amps distortion (2 diezel VH4's and a marshall superbass i think). The only booster i think he has is a MXR micro amp, but i think he only uses it cause feedback.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

^how crucial is the dog in all this? Could you, for example, use a different breed...or maybe a different animal, like a badger?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The distaste for effects pedals is a quote from the Opiate/Undertow era. Jones uses a crap load now. A Boss BF-2, DD-3, MXR Micro Amp, Wah pedal, Heil talk box, Voodoo labs tremelo, some Foxx pedal, an Ernie ball volume pedal, a DOD FX40B, GigFX chopper on 10,000 days, and maybe some others I'm forgetting. Plus a Virus B synth.

Most of the tone is his Diezel VH-4 (the second Diezel is noticeably on standby for most shows, it's presumably just a back up amp) and the vintage Marshall. The lead pickup on his Silverburst is rumored to be a JB SH-4. A picture of his Diezel had the bass at 3:00, the Mid maxed out, and the treble backed off just a tweak from Max. So if you want the tone, a Diezel VH-4 or Herbert plus a Mesa Boogie rectifier 4x12 will get you 90% there. That is, if you have $5,400 for a half stack.
Epiphone LP Custom
Peavey VK 100/Supreme 100 Bi-Amp
Mesa 4x12

Squire P-Pass
GK 1001
GK NEO 4x12
Quote by steven seagull
^how crucial is the dog in all this? Could you, for example, use a different breed...or maybe a different animal, like a badger?

Quote by steven seagull

DEFIANTLY NOT! THAT DOG IS HIS MAJOR PIECE OF EQUIPMENT! HE HAS USED THAT DOG IN EVERY ALBUM! you know that weird scratchy effect? that the dog! hahah
Quote by steven seagull

That dog is the essential to his tone, just like his favorite brand of water, arrowhead, and his favorite jeans are old navy boot cut jeans, instead of the presumed Levi brand jeans that he hates.

and his live setup is assumed to be:

Snarling Dog- Blues Bawls
Snarling Dog- Mold Spore
Line 6- DL4 Delay (possibly used for the looper)
Foxx- Tone Machine (Blue, I Think)
DOD- FX40B EQ
MXR- M-133 Micro Amplifier
Voodoo-Lab- Tremolo
Boss- BF-2 Flanger
Boss- DD-3/5 Digital Delay
Dunlop- Heil Talk Box
Boss- SYB-3 Bass Synth (seen in the "jam pictures")
Ernie Ball- VP JR. Passive Volume
Korg- DTR-2000 Rackmount Digital Tuner
Dunlop- Crybaby BB535 Wah
Boss- PSM5 Power supply/Master switch x2
Roland- PK5 MIDI
Access Virus Classic (Redtop)
Gig-Fx- Chopper
Boss- CE5 Chorus Ensemble

Epilady
Slide
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI