I downloaded this today, hopesfall's first full length and holy ****! It's so good and reminds me of back when the whole metallic hardcore/screamo scene was awesome! I got into that scene in 2003 right as it was on it's way downhill. But music like this is still badass. I remember when Sattelite Years first came out and just listening to it constantly. Starting with Boysetsfire and Grade bands like Hopesfall, Thursday, Poison the Well and Thrice were breaking out with something new and almost innovative. It wasn't hardcore not by any means but it was good music and so I liked it. I just can't find bands like this anymore and for that matter those bands aren't the same. Boysetsfire broke up last year. Grade is long gone. Hopesfalls last two albums are crap. Thrice isn't the same band anymore. Poison the Well only had one or two good albums. Thursday is still kicking ass though!
More bands need to do their own thing.

EDIT- And I will say this Atreyu's first album isn't half bad. Everything else they've done is beyond bad though.
Last edited by xKurtx at Jul 23, 2007,
Yeah i've been listening to this alot lately and No Wings to Speak of, really great stuff (lament is amazing!) But i'm not really a fan of A types and Magnetic North, and plus Jay has screwed the whole line up around again. I still think Thrice, Thursday and Boysetsfire are/were great. I've never really dug PTW, but You Come Before you was pretty cool.
Yeah I've never been the biggest Poison the Well fan, but the opposite of december has some great stuff and a lot of bands bite them these days. It's so funny because even though that album isn't even 10 years old, bands are ripping it without even knowing it!

No Wings to Speak of = Too good and Too short!
Quote by xKurtx

No Wings to Speak of = Too good and Too short!

Truer words have never been spoken. I think the End Of An Era is the greatest song ever written. I love Hopesfall.

I wasn't all that into A Types but Magnetic North is AMAZING. I mean, it has nothing on The Satellite Years, but I really really enjoyed it.
It's funny that just like when there are threads about real hardcore bands on here not many people are posting in this! Stop talking about Job for a Cowboy and all those other horrible bands and talk about how awesome this kind of music was for a short period of time.

And to add on...I remember when Funeral for a Friends "7 ways to scream your name" first hit, a friend who had an advance of it showed it to me and I was blown away. I still dig that record...but the band just went downhill with every release that followed.
Quote by Paris_In_Flames
I've always liked Anatomy Of A Ghost. I supposed they could fall under this category.

That band ****ing ruled.
rites of nothing.
I think No Wings to Speak of is one of the best EPs ever, imo. I've been listening to it more and more and more. The End of an Era is my favorite song of all time, and April Left With Silence and the Far Pavilions both incredible as well.
Quote by aggiefan33
I think No Wings to Speak of is one of the best EPs ever, imo. I've been listening to it more and more and more. The End of an Era is my favorite song of all time, and April Left With Silence and the Far Pavilions both incredible as well.

You're awesome! The End of an Era is one of my favorite songs of all time!
Quote by LPIndin
our rythym guitarist made up the best rap ever. makes fun of the "milkshake song"

my breakdowns bring all the crews to the pit
and theyre like, "lets dance to this ****!"
damn right, we dance to this ****
I 2 step, windmill and spinkick.
I like all hopesfalls releases to be honest, especially some of the new stuff. PTdub are still going strong IMO some of their tracks of their newy are pretty good. But Thrice has definitely dropped off in my opinion.
Has anyone heard that Jay completely changed the line-up, except him? They don't have any original members anymore.
i think its hopesfalls guitarist, his side project, of sinking ships, is freaking amazing. similar to explosions in the sky, more guitar though. check it out.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by aggiefan33
Has anyone heard that Jay completely changed the line-up, except him? They don't have any original members anymore.

Yeah I read something about that on punknews.org I honestly don't care. I saw them at warped 05 and they played on the smallest stage and played mostly stuff from satellite years with me front and middle. I no longer care to hear there new stuff or see them again...unless I had a time machine...
New Hopesfall=crap anyway. A Types went downhill, then Magnetic North just blew hard. I'm glad they aren't gonna be going by the name of the band that put out GOOD cds like Satellite Years, Fraility Of Words, and No Wings To Speak Of.
Quote by xKurtx
Hopesfalls last two albums are crap. Thrice isn't the same band anymore.

The last two Hopesfall albums have been everything but crap. Well thought-out albums that have pulled them away from a dying scene that they to me, seem to intelligent to be in anyway. The same goes for Thrice aswell, Vheissu is a complete masterpiece.
A Types really sucked, Jay even admitted that they didn't put their best effort into it, and Magnetic North was ok.
I have Under the Radar and I haven't listened to it extensively, and I don't like it much either. It doesn't sound too much like Hopesfall imo.
Quote by Paris_In_Flames
A band that started the whole singing/screaming "post hardcore" in like 1999. They sound similar to early Hopesfall

I went and listened to them and I really don't see the old Hopesfall resemblance. Grade is like a pop-punk band with screaming, Hopesfall had more of an atmosphere with their music, like ambient sounds and just a way fuller sound in general. I'm basing this more on Satellite Years and April Left With Silence, I haven't listened to The Fraility Of Words too much. I didn't really like Grade either though, but maybe back then I would have.
I don't like Grade either, but they were one of the first bands to fuse screaming with pop punk and post hardcore and whatnot. I donno probably shouldn't have compared them as I don't listen to either of them.
Last edited by Paris_In_Flames at Sep 14, 2007,
OK, but it sounds nothing like their newer stuff. It's really atmospheric with awesome vocal/guitar harmonies. And incredibly epic.