I've just been daydreaming about it, and the internet isn't helping me find a few simple answers. The obvious place to look is of course this faithful guitar forum!

How long can a skydiver in a winged suit stay airborne?
A Skydiver without a winged suit?
Have any sports been attempted in skydiving?

Basically what I'm getting at is can you stay airborne long enough to play a game, albeit short? I've just got this picture in my mind of maybe 10 players jumping out, 5v5 and having two large hoops thrown out with the object being to throw a ball through the other teams hoop, much like waterpolo or basketball. You could measure everything in a wind tunnel so that it all fell at the same rate, and the players could wear winged suits to get longer game play time and more maneuverability. It wouldn't really even matter if you played upside down or sideways, it'd be kind of like playing in 0Gs. If that couldn't all work, you could play the same game in one of those huge planes that gets real high and freefalls so everyone inside experiences 0Gs. Kind of exciting to think about!!! Sounds like fantasy now, but just you wait...

EDIT:
PS, I just read that high atmosphere dives, the kind where you need a pressurized suit, the jumpers will reach a terminal velocity of 700mph.
I dont think that would work cause you would throw the ball at the hoop and watch it fly hundreds of feet above you..
Quote by IbanezPlayer27
I dont think that would work cause you would throw the ball at the hoop and watch it fly hundreds of feet above you..

no no, you'd measure everything in a wind tunnel so it had the same... resistance I guess. If the ball wanted to sail above you, you'd make it heavier. Think about it, if it were lead and you had a winged suit, it'd fall faster than you. There'd be a balance in between.
You only have about 3minutes of air time on a regular jump, with a suit I think its about 6-7 but you're not gonna be straight falling, you're gliding for quite a few miles = long walk. Those suits are incredible expensive also.
if a 500lb ball made of lead and you were thrown out of a plane at the same time, you would hit the ground at the same time, unless you were wearing something that added resistance (wings). you know...that guy...who dropped stuff..........and found that out....... it was only like one of the biggest scientific finds of time.......you know....but maby not
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

Last edited by orpheus171 at Jul 24, 2007,
Quote by IbanezPlayer27

Don't all things fall at the same rate?

Eg, a small bouncy ball will hit the ground at the same time as a big bouncy ball if dropped at the same time and a height.

The only think that would effect it would be wind resistance. So in that case, with winged suits, wouldnt the ball fall DOWN since the suits have more resistance than the ball does? seeing that the ball is perfectly round the air would more easily flow around it.

Then again i could be completely wrong because maybe the AIR in the ball would change everything.

Eh idk. i confused myself.

Give it a try and see if it works.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by orpheus171
if a 500lb ball made of lead and you were thrown out of a plane at the same time, you would hit the ground at the same time, unless you were wearing something that added resistance (wings). you know...that guy...who dropped stuff..........and found that out....... it was only like one of the biggest scientific finds of time.......you know....but maby not

Actually, no. The ball has less surface resistance compared to the person when you factor in the Chest, legs and arms which cause quite a bit of surface resistance, the ball has virtually none, so it would plummet. If you were perhaps doing a dive, then Maaaybe you could match the ball, but even that's questionable.
what if they were using a beach ball? i'm sure that wouldn't fall very fast..I dunno thats a complicated game. and imagine that 500LB ball hitting the ground after that fall..yikes.
Quote by orpheus171

wow, I'm kind of tempted to sig that. But you'd be right if we were in a vaccum. No, because the lead ball would have a greater mass to volume ratio, and therefore a greater density, It would consequently have a greater moment of inertia and therefore be less subject to external forces, such as the friction caused by air resistance as it falls. A human body is majorily water. Water has a molecular mass of 18.01528 amu, where as lead has a molecular mass of around 207. A human body would have much more drag, much much more drag than a lead ball, and plus I said the humans would be wearing winged suits. Thanks for trying to make me sound like an idiot.
Last edited by flashbandit at Jul 24, 2007,
^^ that's true a box of lead falls the same speed as a box of feathers as long as their the same size and shape etc a the catholic church doesn't make you denounce your findings. galelao found it no?

i've only been sky diving once but it'd be fairly hard to play you know falling at 250+km/h
Last edited by basslyon at Jul 24, 2007,
yes, everything falls at the same rate

but he's saying if you were to have a ball (of any sorts.. lead or not doesnt matter)
it WOULD fall faster than you IF you had a winged suit on, as it would create air resistance and you'd fall slower
like dropping a bouncy ball and a feather.

but i think playing any sort of game would be pointless nevermind improbable
except for maybe like... catch
or sky boarding or whatever if you count that as a sport
Quote by WinterMadness76
Actually, no. The ball has less surface resistance compared to the person when you factor in the Chest, legs and arms which cause quite a bit of surface resistance, the ball has virtually none, so it would plummet. If you were perhaps doing a dive, then Maaaybe you could match the ball, but even that's questionable.

ok, bad example. you are right.

so, if a 500lb ball and a 50lb ball of the same size were dropped, they would hit at the same time. because they have the same surface are and resistance. gravity doesnt have anything to od with weihgt
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

Quote by flashbandit
no no, you'd measure everything in a wind tunnel so it had the same... resistance I guess. If the ball wanted to sail above you, you'd make it heavier. Think about it, if it were lead and you had a winged suit, it'd fall faster than you. There'd be a balance in between.

No? Your stupid if you think weight plays a factor in the speed at which and object falls... Wind resistance slows an object down (thats what makes the parachute work) In a vacuum a bowling ball will fall/accelerate at the same speed, 9.8m/s(2)... After the wind resistance the maximum velocity a human can get is around 130mph, a ball would be able to go faster as it is more aerodynamic

Correction Wikipedia yields that the Terminal Velocity of a Human in Free Fall is "about 120 mph)
Last edited by Beowulf 2112 at Jul 24, 2007,
Quote by orpheus171
ok, bad example. you are right.

so, if a 500lb ball and a 50lb ball of the same size were dropped, they would hit at the same time. because they have the same surface are and resistance. gravity doesnt have anything to od with weihgt

I'm not sure if you're correct, but I would assume that to be correct. Could be other factors though, but that seems right.
Quote by Beowulf 2112
No? Your stupid if you think weight plays a factor in the speed at which and object falls... Wind resistance slows an object down (thats what makes the parachute work) In a vacuum a bowling ball will fall/accelerate at the same speed, 9.8m/s(2)... After the wind resistance the maximum velocity a human can get is around 130mph, a ball would be able to go faster as it is more aerodynamic

Holy crap, have you had any schooling? So you're saying that a parachute made of metal would slow you down just as much as a normal one? And a bowling ball would fall at the same speed as a similarly sized beach ball? or how about a balloon? How about a balloon filled with hydrogen? sources say that because it's lesser weight, believe it or not, would float!!! Weight matters. The point is that if you measured everything in a special wind tunnel, you could factor in weight and total surface area that'd be subject to drag to make sure everything had the same drag coefficient! If they did, they'd fall at the same rate, and players could manipulate the amount of their surface exposed to drag to fly up and fall down relative to other obstacles in the game, but on average throughout the game they'd fall at the same rate as everything else.
Last edited by flashbandit at Jul 24, 2007,
Quote by Beowulf 2112

Correction Wikipedia yields that the Terminal Velocity of a Human in Free Fall is "about 120 mph)

Whoa, chill out. He came here asking for questions that he doesn't know the answer to. He's just putting out his observations/thoughts. There's no need for you to act like a douche and insult him. Also, it's spelt You're not your.
Last edited by WinterMadness76 at Jul 24, 2007,
yes, if a ball and a bowling ball dropped out of a helicopter at the same time and the ball wasnt filled with something like hydrogen they would hit the ground at the same time.

EDIT: And, if there was a metal paracute that somehow did what a silk one does (comform to the air around it) it would work just as well
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
please, be deceased now.
thank you

free skydiving is performed at 3.000 km above ground, military parachute diving is performed at 5.000 km above ground, I've done the military thing since I was on the parachuters thing..

It might sound/seem fun when you watch it through the monitor but it's not that awesome when you see absolutely nothing at night and the lieutenant screams at you to jump..

Your stomach feels weird, your whole body is like out of control..

It's VERY VERY difficult to stay in the position in order to open the parachute, needs much training.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by orpheus171
yes, if a ball and a bowling ball dropped out of a helicopter at the same time and the ball wasnt filled with something like hydrogen they would hit the ground at the same time.

EDIT: And, if there was a metal paracute that somehow did what a silk one does (comform to the air around it) it would work just as well

Hit the ground at the same speed as what?

Everyone is forgetting about wind resistance. Yes, all objects fall at a constant rate in a vacuum, but when air is involved wind resistance comes in. The shape and density of the object is very important in relation to it's speed and ultimately it's terminal velocity. I'm sure it is possible to engineer a solid ball with the same terminal velocity as a human being.

The game itself though, sounds time wasting. You will have at most a couple of minutes to play a game that frankly doesn't sound that interesting. Sky diving is exciting enough without throwing a game into it.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
If you were so inclined to add a game to it, imho, I think it'd be alot of extra fun. Or, since safety would be an issue, you could play it in one of those planes that gets real high, and freefalls for a couple minutes, then keeps doing it. If you think about it, there'd be comperable consecutive playing time (compared to other tv sports) since you;d fall for a few minutes, then have a break for a while (while gaining altitude) as a time out or whatever. It'd at least be worth a try no? And if you played over the dead sea, you'd have alot extra falling time because isn't it the lowest dry point on earth?
Everyone that has posted in this thread really needs a hobby.
I also think you would fall alot faster than the ball
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him
(")_(") on his way to world domination