Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna sand my headstock and refinish it on my Squier strat, so at this point, my understanding is that I'll just remove the tuners and string trees, and sand it down starting with 50 grit, to 100, to 150. Then I'll... oil it I guess. So I have three questions. First, should I have to remove my nut to do this, or will I be okay just taping everything off? Second when I have sanded the face of the headstock down, so that it is raw wood, if I write something in thick Sharpie marker, and then proceed to oil it, will the Sharpie stay there? Third, what type of oil should I use? I was thinking tung oil, but only because that's pretty much the only one I'm familiar with. Thanks in advance.
You'll want to go up to 400 or 600, otherwise the surface will still be rough.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Hmm... alright, I guess I'll get some more sandpaper then. What kind of oil should I seal it with though?
Anyone? Sorry about the bump but I'll be leaving for the hardware store within the next hour.
Tung? I do everything with tung oil. Even bodies.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I guess I'll go with tung oil then, seems easiest and simplest. Any advice on how many coats to put? And how should I apply it? I remember in shop class when we oiled stuff we would always rub it on, and then rub it off. Should that work?
Three to five, depending on the gloss you want. And yeah, that's how I apply it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Alright, sounds good then. Thanks everyone.

EDIT: WAIT, one more thing, sorry. How long should I wait for the guitar to dry before I re-install the tuners and start playing again?
A few hours in between coats and then a day or two after you're done.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!