In a song for example, a jazz standard, when I play the chord progression written down, do guitarists usually just strum that chord once and let the chord ring for however long the chord lasts for? Or do you kind of make up your own strumming pattern?

Thanks in advance.
Take it to Musician Talk there will be more helpful.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Just make up a strumming pattern that suits the mood of the song.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
As Zaphod said just make the strumming pattern to fit the song your playing, its hardly ever just playing the chord once and letting it ring, if you find yourself doing that then try staggering the chord over the bar/s.
Current playing with:
Cort x-6 -->Laney HCM65R

On Zakk Wylde's guitar.
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Quote by Joey Walker
Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps
This is what separates good comping players from great comping players.

There are tons of different ways you can strum chords when it comes to jazz. Traditionally, you would strike the chord every quarter beat, but this was way back in the day. It really all depends on the song. Sometimes you can let it ring for a few beats and sometimes you are strumming 32th notes. There are also times when you have to do very weird strumming patterns and mute a lot of times to add flavour. One more thing you can do it to pluck one string at a time in that chord. I fingerpick all of the jazz I play, and its really nice to make some different sounds rather than just chords.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
really depends on your part in the song and how much space you want to leave.

for example, if there's a really busy keyboard part , you might want to keep your guitar part simple.

but really it's up to you the player. here's one thing to try , if you have four bars of the same chord or something that seems bland , play different inversions or voicings of that chord, or say it's a 7th chord for example, play one chord voicing , then play only the 3rd and the b7 degrees of the chord but in different locations on the neck. those notes the 3rd and b7 are the most essencial notes in a 7th chord , and by just playing two notes you can easily play something that sounds fast and more complex.

like anything this will take some practice, so try it first where your chord is not quickly changing to another.