I have lurking on the forum for a while now. I have thoroughly read about the pros and cons of playing the acoustic first vs the electric first. I have decided to play the electric first; however, there is a problem. I am left handed and would like to start out getting a starter pack, but I have searched guitar sites such as guitar center and sam ash and have not found a left handed starter pack (I didn't expect to find one anyway). My question is this: Since I can't find a starter pack, what guitar do you recommend?

For reference purposes, I would like to play classic rock and the blues and my budget is up to $400 and maybe pushing $500.

If its possible, when you make a recommendation, can you say why its a good choice.

Thanks a lot. Any response would be appreciated.
Play right handed. Few guitarists play left handed, you'll be paying extra for left handed stuff, and you'll be limited by this. Play the traditional style, you'll be thankful in the long run.

I'd get a G&L Tribute guitar from www.buffalobrosguitars.com I got my G&L Tribute S-500 for $340 including shipping.

I'd recommend a roland cube for an amp.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
I would start with a acoustic, if I were you. But whatever you want.
Rap is music too. It is just another evolution of the medium. Don't be a douche and say it isn't.
First off I'd like to say that it would suck if you downright chose to play left handed. I started playing left after my dad saw me playing his right hand guitar upside down a few times. Had I known I was playing it the wrong way, tied in with the fact that your going to feel discriminated against when you find out a majority of guitars don't come in left hand (The 72 Custom Telecaster hurt me the most...), you're going to be wishing you're a right handed guitarist. I'm not saying it's bad to be left handed, since I play left handed and love playing guitar more than anything (yes, anything...).
I can't tell you how many times I've gone to a party and theres an acoustic guitar making it's way around and seeing these kids with their emo and power chords and I'll be sitting their dying to show him what it's about, yet can't because I'm the "wrong" hand. If you've played less than a few hours worth of playing, I highly recommend that you don't. However, if you did anything along the line of which I did (picked up a friends a family members guitar and started playing the way you felt more comfortable) then I guess you should go left. All I'm saying is a few years down the road when you start becoming obsessed with guitar history and the different makes or your favorite guitar, it could really come back to bite you.

As for a starter guitar, I would recommend the Yamaha Pacifica 112. It's afordable and has an excellent neck with a nice feel and a great sound. It's based on the Fender strat except instead of where the bottom pickup on the strat is there is a humbucker. It comes with a tremolo bar and it should (mine did) come with a gig bag. I got that all for around $400-420 Canadian just over 4 years ago, which was my first guitar. Don't spend any moe than $450. It's not how much your guitar costs, it's how well you use it. I took lessons for 3 years and came out sounding 50 times better than the kids at my school who had PRS guitars and Gibsons, who all bragged about how they (at the time) had been playing for 9 or 10 years. Really learn the guitar before trying to get a good guitar. You seem like a pretty smart person and have been researching (with me it was dumb luck of having a nice staff member at the store help me and the Pacifica being the only lefty in stock at the time (once again, beware of the price being a lefty will cost you) that I could afford.

I had my Pacifica for 3 and a half years and even dropped it in the middle of a street one time and it worked fine. Unfortunately, a big ass chair fell on the neck, damaging the frets. I could have gotten it fixed, but I decided to buy a new one. I wanted a 72 Fender Telecaster Custom, which the unfortunately didn't sell in left hand, so I got a Fender Telecaster Standard. Once again, it wasn't because the Pacifica is a bad guitar (my guitar teacher owns 3 of them and are his favorite guitar, despite have a Fender Strat, a Fender Telecaster, a Gibson double neck SG, a few Paul Reid Smiths, some of those Steinberen or burger guitars, and a Yamaha Weddington. He's a proffesional and chooses to use Pacificas, so don't listen to anybody on here who badmouths Yamaha. Anyways, I know this is long so if you've read the whole thing good luck man. If you didn't read this, well I still wish you luck man.
Please, waht ever guitar you buy don't play right handed. Most of the lefty players I know that play righty have told me it was the worst mistake they have ever made.
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest Left Handed
Yamaha FG720SL Acoustic
Amp(s):
Fender Blues Junior (needs new tubes )
Guitar Rig 4, if that counts
EDIT: ^ Wtf I love it.

Do not buy a starter pack. Those things are subpar. Grab a decent guitar and a cube (or a super crapola starter amp and wait to decide what kind of tone you want/like). You might want to look at a MIM (Made in Mexico) Fender Standard Stratocaster. As for your handedness, I'm left-handed (half the time; I guess I'm ambidextrous...with a favor ), and I play right-handed. A lot of left-handed people do that. It doesn't hinder us at all. In fact, I found it easier since I had better dexterity in my left hand to begin with. You might find the same perk. As it has been said, left-handed gear is limited and you'll end up paying more for a mirror image of another guitar. The point is, when you first begin playing, you'll be equally horrible with both hands (it was hard for me to even fret the fourth fret with my pinky), but with practice, you'll be awesome. Why not pick the hand with the most gear if given the choice?
Yeah man I'm a Lefty and you should stick it out man most lefty who play righty regret it later on casue it just doesnt ever feel right. Check out this stuff......

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_epiphone_les_paul_standard_left_handed_guitar?full_sku=518490%2e035

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_vox_valvetronix_ad30vt_30w_guitar_combo?full_sku=102640802

For decent stuff you have to spend a little more than $500.
i dont mean to sound ignorant but cant you just get a righty and string it upside down to play lefty? thats what hendrix did, so you can have righty guitars and play lefty if you wanted to.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by an epic mistake
i dont mean to sound ignorant but cant you just get a righty and string it upside down to play lefty? thats what hendrix did, so you can have righty guitars and play lefty if you wanted to.

More work then it is worth IMO (with the nut)

Dont listen to anyone who tries to tell you what hand to play. DO what comforatble for you. I am left handed and when I was about 10 I wanted to play the guitar. So I took lessons and everyone was telling me that I need to play right handed etc. I think I lasted about 2 months then I quit.

Fast forward 12 years. I buy my own left handed guitar and I love it. Sure some parts suck, like not being able to play other guitars etc. but being born a lefty I am used to that crap anyways.

500 bucks... here ya go

Guitar & Amp

Agile AL-3000 lefty (370) with a Roland Microcube (125) .

WAY better then any of those starter packs. You could downgrade the guitar a little (imo) but that microcube is the best bang for your buck.
The decision of whether to play lefty or righty shouldn't come from convenience it should come from what feels right. My friend is left-handed and he decided to play right-handed because it just feels better. I'm left-handed and I decided to play lefty for the same reason.

You should go to a local guitar shop and try out a left handed guitar and a right handed one. Just hold them, mess around a little and see what fits. If you do decide on lefty then don't get a starter pack, because I did and I regretted it. There are plenty of cheap guitars that you can get that a million times better.

Hope that helps. Plus, even if it's inconvenient and biased to play lefty, it's still cooler.

EDIT: Also, if you choose to play lefty you will almost definitely develop a feel for playing both ways. I've had to play friends guitars so many times that I can play right-handed pretty decently, which is a good feeling. You probably won't branch out like that if you choose to play right-handed.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
Last edited by screamsoftly at Jul 24, 2007,
Quote by screamsoftly
EDIT: Also, if you choose to play lefty you will almost definitely develop a feel for playing both ways. I've had to play friends guitars so many times that I can play right-handed pretty decently, which is a good feeling. You probably won't branch out like that if you choose to play right-handed.

This is the guitar for you then!!!
Pick up a guitar and you will know which way feels right for you. I started out lefty (even tho everyone told me I should play righty) and am glad I stuck with it.

As for the argument that lefties have fewer models/brands of guitars to choose from, it's true. However, there are far more choices now than ever. We just have to look a little harder. Rondo Music is especially supportive of the lefty and their Agile product line is a pretty good value (SX models not so much).

Another nice thing about being a lefty is that you don't have every Tom, Dick, and Guitar Hero virtuoso playing your guitar.

Finally, no matter which way you go, remember that style and tone come more from the player than the guitar. A good player can make a cheap guitar sound great, yet that $4000 custom shop guitar will not make a crappy player sound significantly better. (You just look cooler).

Good Luck!
The Poodle Bites,
The Poodle Chews It.
C'mon Frenchie!
i vote for rondomusic.net
a GREAT selection of lefty guitars
play lefty
im a lefty as well and i started out righty and i regret it
but just recently ive started to play lefty
its crazy because i play righty better but only becuase ive been playing righty for like 6 months
but give me 6 more months and my lefty playing will be up to par
but i can play both ways just fine
founder/leader of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club
pm me if you would like to join

--my gear--
squier '51 (flipped for left handed)
cheap no name 15w amp
Quote by deputysalty
Play right handed. Few guitarists play left handed, you'll be paying extra for left handed stuff, and you'll be limited by this. Play the traditional style, you'll be thankful in the long run.

I'd get a G&L Tribute guitar from www.buffalobrosguitars.com I got my G&L Tribute S-500 for $340 including shipping.

What the ****, dude, have you got any ide ahow hard it is to play right handed when you're left handed?

Original Poster - go into your local guitar shop, they'll sort you out with a starter deal.

EDIT*

More work then it is worth IMO (with the nut)

Not really. It's more work than it's worth trying to get comfortable playing right handed. It's like trying to write with your other handed, or play golf with the other hand. Once you've fixed the Nut once you won't have to do it again, but even then not all guitars are going to be trouble at the nut - locking nuts especially, they'll be ruddy easy.
Last edited by Edamr at Jul 25, 2007,
Im left handed and i play right handed guitar.

Not too sure if i believe too much the feeling, when your a noob everything feels awkward.
Quote by Edamr
What the ****, dude, have you got any ide ahow hard it is to play right handed when you're left handed?

Original Poster - go into your local guitar shop, they'll sort you out with a starter deal.

EDIT*

Not really. It's more work than it's worth trying to get comfortable playing right handed. It's like trying to write with your other handed, or play golf with the other hand. Once you've fixed the Nut once you won't have to do it again, but even then not all guitars are going to be trouble at the nut - locking nuts especially, they'll be ruddy easy.

Oh I agree what I was saying is it is too much work to get a right hander and flip it. If your gonna buy the guitar then just get the lefty.
But the problem is not all guitars come in a lefty, and those that do can be an awful lot more expensive (Gibsons especially)
Guys, Thanks a lot. I read every response. All of you made fine points and I am taking them all under consideration. Keep them coming.
pick up a guitar and see how you pick it up, it's possible that you'll pick it up as a righty but you'll probably pick it up like a lefty.
if it feels more comftrable as a lefty, then do NOT start playing right-handed. DON'T.
you'll limit yourself in playing skills that way.
and i've found that there are pros about being a lefty too actually.
what if you're struggling between a fender or an esp for example.
'aww i can't choose !' then after a while you'll see that the esp ins't available as a lefty.
problem solved and a very easy 'decision' is made. it limits your options but it also limits the struggling btween guitars.
oh and don't bother turning around a righty. it's uncomftrable as hell. i did it that way .

oh and another thing, it's proven that lefty's naturally have more sguitar kills than righty's because of something that different in our way of thinking. just thought i'd mension that so you don't absolutly hate being a lefty.

good luck man !
Last edited by The Masterplan at Jul 25, 2007,
Heh, I'd like to believe lefties are more talented. :p

But you're not limited in guitar choices. Like has been mentioned - just restring.

I knew I was leftie at guitar before picking one up (I'm ambidextrous, though - play golf right handed, for example, but can't play snooker right handed) because I always air guitar'd left handed. ^_^
Quote by Edamr
Heh, I'd like to believe lefties are more talented. :p

But you're not limited in guitar choices. Like has been mentioned - just restring.

I knew I was leftie at guitar before picking one up (I'm ambidextrous, though - play golf right handed, for example, but can't play snooker right handed) because I always air guitar'd left handed. ^_^

they really are ! i'm serious.

that's inconvinient as hell. evrything is made to be easy to reach for a righty and then you turn it around so it's at the hardest place to reach, turn,... plus the 'cutaway' on a strat to rest your arm is at your leg and the cutaway on a LP is
completly useless when turned around..
ohh and another thing, the cord with a strat gets in the way of your picking arm...
and it looks like **** on stage.

don't do it.
Last edited by The Masterplan at Jul 25, 2007,
I have to agree with everyone that's said to play the way that feels most comfortable to you. I'm righty dominant, but when I picked up the guitar it was lefty all the way. It kind of makes sense to me though -- or I've rationalized it to myself -- but if I have greater dexterity with my right hand, wouldn't it make sense to fret with that hand?

Besides, if all of the lefties jump ship and play for the other team, the manufacturers won't have the demand and thus won't have a reason to produce lefty instruments.
so i would get a leftie guitar if i were you because if you play leftie, you can play along with a righty guitarist and do the whole back to back thing like in a7x

this is the pic

that is awesome

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Get a righty

modify the bridge

restring

your set

EDIT

Double cut guitars is the answer
but some strats are built for lefties
so once again, double cut guitars
I don't even shred
Last edited by Nebjy at Jul 25, 2007,
^^^
i did that to my squier '51
it works out just fine except there is a dip in the back thats supposed to be facing up
but because i restrung it cuts into my leg a bit
it not too bad though i still play for hours

but yeah restringing lefty makes your guitar all that much more unique i think
founder/leader of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club
pm me if you would like to join

--my gear--
squier '51 (flipped for left handed)
cheap no name 15w amp
Well ill say it right now, it doesnt matter what hand you dominent in you can play guitar either way. im left handed put i found it easier to play right handed because i believe freting is harder (6 string < more then a 100 frets). It would help to see which way is more comfortable to hold it.
|----------------------0--|
|----------------------0--|
|-------------------------|
|--2----------2-----------|
|-----2----4-----4-4------|
|--------0----------------|

Just a little "Spanish Sastle Magic"
Quote by deputysalty

i would play lefty, made it a million times easier for me

i tried righty, and it took me 10 times longer to learn stuff

and besides, lefty equipment isn't that hard to come by

my schecter cost me $650 instead of $600, so they aint rippin you off or anything

IMO its easier to pick with your dominant hand because your dominant hand learn rythm better

and FACE IT, you dont see right handed people playing lefty because they think that their right hand will work better on a fret board than with a pick
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
I wouldn't buy a starter kit if i were you.

Often, at any guitar store, if you tell them u need the whole shabang (guitar, amp, lead, strap, bag, picks etc) they can throw together a package with your preferred guitar and amp.
Also dont let them rip you off, make some bull**** story that you got the same package thrown together at another guitar store for a fairly decent price which you think they can better. Because picking a guitar/amp is part of the whole experience!!!!!

As for being a lefty, lefty guitars normally cost a bit more (well when i saw one it was about $10 more ) but the major downside is not being able to play many guitar models. If you think your up to it try and learn right handed.

I am a lefty but i learned to play with my right hand. But i still air guitar with my left hand, very strange.