whats more important a "good" guitar with a "bad" amp or a "bad" guitar with a "good" amp?

like say.. a squire strat with a marshall JCM 900
or
A Gibson Les Paul Custom with a roland cube 30?

*note* im very bored so go for it
bad guitar with a good amp. You can always make a $50 pickup change and be set. There's someone on UG that I've seen has a Squier Bullet and JCM900. The amp is BY FAR more important.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
good amp, definitely.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
for me id go with guitar. a gibson les paul custom with a cube 30 would still rip to ****. whereas a bullet with a JCM900 would be bottlenecked and lacking.

just my two cents though...
hello cowgirl in the sand....
G&L legacy, schecter blackjack
keeley tube screamer
ron sound hairpie classic
Amp 60%

Guitar 40%

84.3% of statistics are made up

Even as an estimate your way off though - ultimately, the amp dictates how good the guitar will sound, not the other way round. If your amp is crap it doesn't matter how good your guitar is. When it boils down to it the guitar is little more than the input device that gives you control over the sound that comes out of the amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If your amp is crap it doesn't matter how good your guitar is. When it boils down to it the guitar is little more than the input device that gives you control over the sound that comes out of the amp.

mmm nope. sorry, but going to have to 100% disagree. show me good clean sustain with a ****ty guitar and i'll re-think.
keeley tube screamer
a good amp and crappy guitar=ok sound but a good guitar with a crappy amp is going to sound the same as a crappy guitar with a crappy amp, so the amp is more important
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by B.RADLEY
mmm nope. sorry, but going to have to 100% disagree. show me good clean sustain with a ****ty guitar and i'll re-think.

It's called harmonic feedback- crank any tube amp, amazing sustain.

Ultimately, it's the player that matters- a good player can make anything sound good, a bad player can ruin a $5000 rig.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
id say a good amp outways a guitar, but at the same time dont get a cheap $99 guitar and plug into a nice amp and expect it to sound amazing, a decent amp and a decent guitar would be middle ground i think
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
but a bad guitar (bullet) will play like ass, it will be harder and less pleasent
Quote by steven seagull
84.3% of statistics are made up

Even as an estimate your way off though - ultimately, the amp dictates how good the guitar will sound, not the other way round. If your amp is crap it doesn't matter how good your guitar is. When it boils down to it the guitar is little more than the input device that gives you control over the sound that comes out of the amp.

i never said that why r u quoting me!
I only have a small practice amp but I'm quite pleased with it and since I don't play in a band yet (probably not for a few years) I'm most likely going to get a new guitar first, since I want to get a guitar with a whammy bar and easy neck access.
Quote by tubab0y
It's called harmonic feedback- crank any tube amp, amazing sustain.

Ultimately, it's the player that matters- a good player can make anything sound good, a bad player can ruin a $5000 rig.

well now if we are now talking tube amps!! if we are saying ****ty guitars, then we must be a comparing a 20 watt peavey solidstate for the amp!

either way good player makes it sound good - like you said.

this thread sucks. bad question!
keeley tube screamer
Crap guitar into a good amp is better.
Any guitar can benefit from a proper set-up and can surprise you.
Quote by Stealthtastic
i never said that why r u quoting me!

I think you'll find I didn't actually quote "you"...I didn't bother putting the name of the poster there. However, the fact that you've mentioned it means that it WAS you, and you changed your original post to avoid embarrassment

Congratulations on a stunning act of self-pwnage...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 25, 2007,
Go check out the sticky in GGandA, there's an entire list of good amps by style and price range.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Good amp

The guitar itself is all about the playability and feel to the player, to me it makes much less difference then an amp does as far as the sound chain goes.
Quote by fifer
a good amp and crappy guitar=ok sound but a good guitar with a crappy amp is going to sound the same as a crappy guitar with a crappy amp, so the amp is more important

True, a good guitar won't sound to it's full potential in a bad amp, but the amp won't change how good it's going to play. A Les Paul Custom is going to be much better to play than a Squier, so I'd say guitar's more important.