Page 1 of 3
I'm considering getting a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR or an Ibanez RG1570. What are the main advantages of one over the other? I'm looking for something for Metal and I've narrowed it down to these two.

I've heard mixed things about the Schecter necks, some say they're too thin, some say they're too thick. What's the neck joint like on the Schecter? Does it have good upper fret access?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
the ibanez! its a no brainer.

the schecter is all well and pretty. but with the ibanez you can't lose. great trem, powerful pickups, perfect neck.
I'm playing my Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR right now and I probably am biased but i would definately get the Schecter. I have big hands and the schecter neck is perfect for me, I have played some Ibanez's and I'm not a big fan of the ultra thin shred neck or whatever so you should definately try them both out and see which one is best for you
My Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0, 1.5, 1.14
And Daniel how can you prefer an ibanez tremolo over an orignal floyd rose??? And What pickups are more powerful than EMG's??? You got it twisted homie
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
the ibanez V7s and 8s cut through a hell of a lot more than the emgs do man. much more top end.
emgs are a rhythm pickup, just pure bass power.
loving ibanez i would automatically say rg, but looking at the hellraiser it does look nice

the ibanez has an edge pro which is good but he hellraiser has an original fr, good too

the guitars also depend on how heavy your music is, if you play extremely heavy music, the hellraiser is good cause it has emg actives but the rg has just as nice pickups but they're not active

last the ibanez comes with a harshell case (on musician's friend) but you will need to buy one with the schecter

so it depends on what you want
Quote by danielrobbyshor
the ibanez V7s and 8s cut through a hell of a lot more than the emgs do man. much more top end.

Actually I found the 81 I tried to be too trebly and fizzy. odd.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by GNR4EVER
Does it have good upper fret access?

The Hellraiser is cutaway with the "Ultra Access" thing and can reach the 24th fret so easily.

Quote by danielrobbyshor

the schecter is all well and pretty. but with the ibanez you can't lose. great trem, powerful pickups, perfect neck.

Actually, IMO, wrong.

You don't need to change the Hellraiser's pickups if you want to do metal. The V7 and V8's in the Ibanez are horrid.
Last edited by ExplorerFreak at Jul 24, 2007,
Yeah playing my Hellraiser FR right now I find it extremely easy to reach the 24th fret i'm not so sure about the rg
My Gear:
B-52 AT-100 Half stack
Boss GT-10
Breedlove AD25SR Plus
Yamaha EG112C
Boss Mt-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Wd-7 wah
The Hellraiser has better pickups, plus it's neck-through, but it has quite a thick neck. It's not uncomfortably large, but I prefer thin necks. The neck is also painted, and because of that, it can get sticky.
Quote by danielrobbyshor

...Are you serious?

The Ibanez has decent, at best, pick-ups. And, the neck sucks.

The Hellraiser has an EMG 81/85 set and an Original Floyd Rose.

Edit - Also, the Ibanez has a basswood body. God, that's a horrible guitar for the price.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by danielrobbyshor

that post radiates pure ignorance. The Edge is no better than the Original Floyd Rose on the Schecter. Anyone who takes stock Ibanez pickups over EMGs is obviously deaf.

also, in my opinion, mahogany w/ maple top is much superior to basswood. And i find Ibanez necks a bit on the thin side - big hands.

so, get the schecter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously. do it.
Quote by cheames
that post radiates pure ignorance. The Edge is no better than the Original Floyd Rose on the Schecter. Anyone who takes stock Ibanez pickups over EMGs is obviously deaf.

also, in my opinion, mahogany w/ maple top is much superior to basswood. And i find Ibanez necks a bit on the thin side - big hands.

seriously. do it.

Beat ya to it.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by cheames

seriously. do it.

Steve Vai's hands probably dwarf yours, and he uses super-thin necks. My hands are also pretty big, and they get cramps from my fairly chunky Epiphone neck.
Unless you feel right at home with the RG, i would go with the C-1. Just because the Ibanez will be more expensive once you change pups and if you don't then the tone is inferior.
Wow I was expecting everyone to say go for the Ibanez

Thanks for the help guys
schecter, my friend has the non FR version and those EMG's sound amazing

i personally cant stand ibanez's, just dont feel right to me

feels kinda cheap IMO (i was playing a $700 RG)
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
Last edited by cigaro5676 at Jul 25, 2007,
The RG leads more towards the shredder side of things, with the basswood body, and thin neck. The Edge Pro is a very good tremolo, on par with an OFR.

The Hellraiser FR obviously has better stock pickups (EMGs), however some do not like the EMG tone. I particularly do though, they clean up nicely when you use the volume knob and maintain an aggressive, clear sound for heavy stuff.

However, these two guitars are vastly different. The Ibanez is a bolt on, with a very thin neck, while the Schecter is set thru with a thicker neck. In addition, the ibanez is basswood, a wood typically used by shredders because it cuts through with the right pickups. The Ibanez' sound quality will be determined by the pickups you put in there.

The Schecter has EMG 81/85 which are good, however I prefer a 60 or 89 in the neck. The OFR is a fantastic trem, and the body is Mahogany with quilt maple top. The mahogany will pound for heavy rhythm stuff, and the maple cap should provide a little more bright end.
I can't even believe this is being discussed, and that one guy mentioned an RG being better than that hellraiser. Very laughable thread along with Ibanez homies that will pick them crappy sounding pups over anything. It is a no brainer my friend get the schecter

BTW the hellraiser ins't a neck thru its a set in. the classic is the neck thru
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by anonamooseguy at Jul 25, 2007,
Thanks guys I'm definitely going for the Schecter, but I'll probably swap out the 85 for an 89

Btw, does the Schecter have a bound fretboard?
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jul 25, 2007,
Just going to agree with everyone else here. I own an RG1570 and love it, but for a straight-up metal guitar I'd choose the Hellraiser, definitely.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by Holy Katana
The Hellraiser has better pickups, plus it's neck-through, but it has quite a thick neck. It's not uncomfortably large, but I prefer thin necks. The neck is also painted, and because of that, it can get sticky.

WRONG! it appears to be a neck through its a set neck im saving up for the hellraiser tried both these guitars and hellraiser FR

oh and in black cherry
Quote by pierce34celtic
Don't believe so, it has abalone binding along the body.

he is correct
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
Quote by danielrobbyshor

That's another way of saying they sounds like mosquitoes attacking. I can't stand the bridge pickup really.

It's say - Ibanez if you're after playability, Schecter if it's pure tone you want. Personally I'd say Ibanez and get the pickups replaced.
The HR has AWSOME jazz tone imo. It can do any clean tone you want, all u need to do is roll back the volume and tone knob. The fact that the body is made of mahogany gives it such a more fuller and warmer sound than basswood. The fact is, the wood ibanez use is undeveloped and raw, and the sound compliments this. The only good thing about ibanez guitars is the hardware they use in their guitars.
ENGL Screamer 50
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Boss GT-8

Quote by stef123
What's worse than eating an apple and finding a worm inside?

Being black.
Quote by Edamr
That's another way of saying they sounds like mosquitoes attacking. I can't stand the bridge pickup really.

It's say - Ibanez if you're after playability, Schecter if it's pure tone you want. Personally I'd say Ibanez and get the pickups replaced.

Playability is for the most part opinion. I actually think that the playability on the schecter is much better. Sustain is much better, no pickup changes needed, better overall quality, the quality of the woods used on each don't even compare. So you put all that together and you get

Schecter > Ibanez

If you have to switch out pickups on a guitar because the stocks ones are crap then doesn't that tell you something about the quality and thought put into the overall guitar. Ibanez thinks that since they sell alot of guitars based soley on the wizardII neck that the rest of the quality can suffer. I have owned 4 different Ibanez guitars and I can tell you that they are cheap unless you get into thier highend products.
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
I'd get the Ibanez, without a doubt. I've played both, and the Ibanez kicked the Schecter's ass hundreds of times ^^'
Lightweight, comfortable, durable, good pickups (yeah, the V7-S1-V8 is a good pickup combination for me), awesome fret access (much better than the Schecter), better trem (IMO, the Edge Pro and the Lo-Pro Edge are better than the OFR in all ways), the best neck you can find nowadays (without going custom) for fast soloing, better craftmanship and overall quality... plus, it looks great!!!

Actually, you can't go wrong with Ibanez, whatever's your price range. And I'm not bashing Schecter, they're also great guitars (I love the Jeff Loomis sig ^o^), but overall, if you compare them with Ibanez guitars of the same price, Ibanez will (almost) always win.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Mahogany will suit you better, but if you don't mind buying used, look for a RG3120 or RG520. Both have mahogany bodies.
Quote by anonamooseguy
Playability is for the most part opinion. I actually think that the playability on the schecter is much better. Sustain is much better, no pickup changes needed, better overall quality, the quality of the woods used on each don't even compare. So you put all that together and you get

Schecter > Ibanez

If you have to switch out pickups on a guitar because the stocks ones are crap then doesn't that tell you something about the quality and thought put into the overall guitar. Ibanez thinks that since they sell alot of guitars based soley on the wizardII neck that the rest of the quality can suffer. I have owned 4 different Ibanez guitars and I can tell you that they are cheap unless you get into thier highend products.

No, not at all. The neck's great, the Edge Pro is great, the wood is not terrible in any way, and it's generally a very goods guitar. The stock pickups aren't "crap" (the INFs on the lower ends are) they just don't compare to EMG's. You're being unduly harsh. We ARE talking about high (ish) end here.

EDIT* And for crying out loud people. Mahogony is not the be all and end all. Seriously, people only say that because Gibson use mahogony. Iron Maiden, all alder's in the Strats. Metallica - Kirks are nearly all Alder too. That's even brighter than basswood, which is a nice medium.
i dont like scheter tbh, i hate how all these kids who all trying to be "hardcore" and play exclusively metal think that owning a scheter will make them sound as heavy as malmsteen on the G3 tour. it just seems to have gotten a poor image by all these scene kids.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Quote by danielrobbyshor

IMO

Mahogany --> Basswood

OFR --> Edge pro ( although the egde is almost on par with the OFR )

EMG 81 / 85 --> V7 / V8 ( V'S suck imo and 81 is a great lead pickup im sure lots agree with me )

Neck thru --> Bolt-on ( yeah i know it says Ultra access but its the equivilant of neckthru)

Hellraiser's looks ( black cherry ) --> mirage red / blue.. although the suede one looks pretty cool.

basicly i say the hellraiser pwns it.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
The only real way it 'pwns' is the pickups, and to be fair EMG 81/85 can beat any other pickup combination you wish to name. In all other respects, they're very much on par.

You're also forgetting the V7/S1/V8 combo allows for some fantastic clean tones (with the single coil on it's own or in combination, and the neck pickup alone has a great warm tone. Not so much the bridge pickup), which WILL beat the clean tone of the 81/85 combo.
i would say the schecter...i mean, it may just be me....but i can't tell a mahor diffrence between ibanez's 400 dollar guitars, and the 1570..not speaking about ALL of the prestige line, it's just, i mean, you're getting the same materials, a better bridge and that's about it for about 400 dollars more..

anyway, i have a schecter and an ibanez, i love both to death, but i'd say schecter (i think the hellraiser does have binding on the neck, it's black binding, i know it has it on the body and headstock, and it has abalone on the front) the hellraiser isn't very heavy actually, it has an OFR, which is equal to the ibanez trem in my opinion, the pickups are better trade some guy for a 60 with your 85 or something if you need better cleans, the schecter is one of those guitars you'll keep with you a long time, play a C-1 schecter somewhere nearby and see how you like the neck, it'd be the same on the hellraiser, and anyone who says the ibanez has better fret access is retarded, they're exactly the same pretty much, besides i can't name a time when i've needed to use the 24th fret alot anyway
Quote by Edamr
No, not at all. The neck's great, the Edge Pro is great, the wood is not terrible in any way, and it's generally a very goods guitar. The stock pickups aren't "crap" (the INFs on the lower ends are) they just don't compare to EMG's. You're being unduly harsh. We ARE talking about high (ish) end here.

EDIT* And for crying out loud people. Mahogony is not the be all and end all. Seriously, people only say that because Gibson use mahogony. Iron Maiden, all alder's in the Strats. Metallica - Kirks are nearly all Alder too. That's even brighter than basswood, which is a nice medium.

All I can say is I don't see many threads on problems with schecters on the forum my friend. That honor belongs to Ibanez, I would say there are atleast 2 or 3 on the front page everyday and 8 out of 10 times it is a problem with an Ibanez. I am not being harsh dude I am being honest. the 500-1000 dollar range comparison of Ibanez to Schecter isn't even a close race. They are just better guitars my man. I have owned 4 Ibanez's including the one being discussed and I am trying to steer ppl away from something that I think they can get a better product for the same money.
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by guitarmenace12
And Daniel how can you prefer an ibanez tremolo over an orignal floyd rose??? And What pickups are more powerful than EMG's??? You got it twisted homie

plenty of people prefer an edge or similar to a floyd rose. it's at least as good.

you're right about the pickups, but those are easily swappable.

it's preference, basically. to me, the ibanez is the nicer guitar, but some people just plain can't get along with the wizard-style neck, and if you can't, it'd be a bit daft to buy one.

Quote by timi_hendrix
Actually I found the 81 I tried to be too trebly and fizzy. odd.

ditto.

Quote by guitarmenace12
Yeah playing my Hellraiser FR right now I find it extremely easy to reach the 24th fret i'm not so sure about the rg

it's extremely easy to reach the upper frets on an RG.

Quote by pierce34celtic
the V series pickups suck..Period.

i agree.

Quote by pierce34celtic
The RG leads more towards the shredder side of things, with the basswood body, and thin neck. The Edge Pro is a very good tremolo, on par with an OFR.

The Hellraiser FR obviously has better stock pickups (EMGs), however some do not like the EMG tone. I particularly do though, they clean up nicely when you use the volume knob and maintain an aggressive, clear sound for heavy stuff.

However, these two guitars are vastly different. The Ibanez is a bolt on, with a very thin neck, while the Schecter is set thru with a thicker neck. In addition, the ibanez is basswood, a wood typically used by shredders because it cuts through with the right pickups. The Ibanez' sound quality will be determined by the pickups you put in there.

The Schecter has EMG 81/85 which are good, however I prefer a 60 or 89 in the neck. The OFR is a fantastic trem, and the body is Mahogany with quilt maple top. The mahogany will pound for heavy rhythm stuff, and the maple cap should provide a little more bright end.

nice post, agreed.

anyone saying to go for one or the other, and calling anyone an idiot for disagreeing, is a fucking moron

Yeah, I said it.

All you schecter fanboys would need to realise though that (a) pickups are easily swappable, (b) basswood isn't necessarily bad, (c) most of the threads complaining about ibanez are complaining about the lower models, (d) the edge/edge pro/lo pro edge are at least as good as an OFR, and it's personal preference as to which you prefer, (e) the ibanez is made in japan, while the schecter is made in korea (i.e. the schecter is cheaper to make and may use lower quality wood etc.), (f) plenty of people love the ibanez wizard neck, it's certainly not rubbish.

Man, threads like this piss me off. They're like a trainwreck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
also, all you moron schecter fanboys who are saying your schecters are awesome because they're mahogany might want to look into what species exactly that "mahogany" on your korean schecter is.

yeah, i said that too.

Morons.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I see a war has broken out

I think the neck on the Schecter might suit me better as I tend to prefer a thicker neck (That said not overly thick), they seem to fit my hand better
Page 1 of 3