So my wife walks into the room and asks what I know about a 1959 sunburst les paul. I asked why, she said her bosses dad has one and wanted to know if its worth anything! I just laughed at her and said I will buy that guitar with every penny we have. So by now im curious as to wether or not this is the real thing so I called him and asked a few questions. Sure enough, original case and everything. He said he took it to a pawn shop and they said it was worth about 5,000 dollars or so. Sure. Anyways, worthless post but I just had to share that story because as a vintage guitar fan it just makes me wonder how many other treasures there are out there that someone has that has no idea what they really have.
... Buy it for 6/7 grand, just so you aren't robbing the poor guy blind.

But that's still a ****ing steal.

Also, what condition is it in?
If the guy doesn't know what it's worth, I'm assuming he doesn't play it much. Or he plays it too much and abuses it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
It's worth a lot more than 5 grand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-Gibson-Les...1QQcmdZViewItem

That's a Jr., the one he has is worth at least twice that.

spot on

Whenever I see "59 Gibson Les Paul" the first figure in my head is alwas $25,000...that pawn shop are just trying to pull a fast one.

this is a UK shop...

http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index.cfm?method=site.product_list&category_id=54

a 71 Les Paul Custom is nearly £4000 ($8000) , and 1971 isn't a particularly prestigious year.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I saw a '59 LP goldtop (I think, may have been sunburst) in great condition with good figure on the top (must have been sunburst) go for $105,000.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Well the guy was just a hobbyist way back when and pretty much just lost interest so thats why he has no clue as to how much its worth, He said it is in great condition and hasnt been played a whole lot. I have a 2006 price guide at work and if I remember right they are worth somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000, of course there are alot of factors that effects the value but still..... My wife said I had to be honest and tell him the truth dammit.
For $100k you can get a new wife... A Better Wife!

On the other hand this sounds like a con...
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Last edited by Deviant1853 at Jul 24, 2007,
Forget the wife!! We're talking about having your own Pearly here!!

Okay, okay, it is just a guitar after all.

'52 to '59 Conversion

Those go for around $9000 to $13,000. Yes, it's a refinish and different hardware, but it's a '52 with the vibe of a '59 and it doesn't cost $100K +.
Quote by steven seagull
spot on

Whenever I see "59 Gibson Les Paul" the first figure in my head is alwas $25,000...that pawn shop are just trying to pull a fast one.

this is a UK shop...

http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index.cfm?method=site.product_list&category_id=54

a 71 Les Paul Custom is nearly £4000 ($8000) , and 1971 isn't a particularly prestigious year.

$25,000? More like $250,000.
I'd buy that for $5000 even if I had to get my (now ex-)wife to suck dick on a street corner to raise the money. If it's an ORIGINAL 1959 in good condition with original case, it can EASILY fetch at least 5 to 10 times that much money on resale. Perhaps even more.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jul 25, 2007,
Make an offer...you never know what could happen. It's a lot of money, but we're talking investment here. Even though it would already fetch a pretty penny, think about 2009. The value should go up even more considering it would be the 50th anniversary of the instrument. It may not be a Gibson landmark, but that's a golden number and should up the price a bit.
Quote by Holy Katana
$25,000? More like $250,000.

Whatever, wtf do I know....

It's definitely worth more than the $5,000 the pawn shop offered. I'd personally tell the guy, much as it would pain me to do so..karma and all that. If somebody told me the guitar I thought was worth $5000 was worth $100,000 I'd sell it and happily buy him a brand new Les Paul as a thank you for saving me from getting ripped off.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah, if I had just won 100grand I'd thank the person that got it for me- new CS LP? 4% fee isn't bad.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by steven seagull
Whatever, wtf do I know....

It's definitely worth more than the $5,000 the pawn shop offered. I'd personally tell the guy, much as it would pain me to do so..karma and all that. If somebody told me the guitar I thought was worth $5000 was worth $100,000 I'd sell it and happily buy him a brand new Les Paul as a thank you for saving me from getting ripped off.

Somebody has been watching My Name Is Earl...

Really if it's real, tell him how much it's actually worth. Even if you bought it I couldn't stand having fooled someone of their '59 Gibson.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Somebody has been watching My Name Is Earl...

Really if it's real, tell him how much it's actually worth. Even if you bought it I couldn't stand having fooled someone of their '59 Gibson.

Totally agreed. I wouldn't con someone out of their lovely vintage, I'd only have it if they were like "I want £3000, interested?".

Tell him it's worth more than $5000 and make him an offer. You will have NO trouble making money on that thing if it turns out you couldn't afford the investment.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by TheDev01dOne
A girl I know on another website has 2 mint condition 50 something les pauls, her grandad gave them to her or something they've barely been played. That's a retirement plan and a half right thurr.

I'd keep them both man, just for something to say down the pub haha.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
BUY BUY BUY
Earlier this year a '59 LP Sunburst offered for sale on Ebay for ONLY 250 000 POUND!!!!

so... buy buy buy
Quote by KissingShadows
I just saw a fair condition one go for 300,000!

What's "fair" condition mean...one that's covered in rollercoasters and candyfloss?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by KissingShadows
I just saw a fair condition one go for 300,000!

yes its true.I saw one on ebay some time ago going for 350,000 USD and the BUY IT NOW PRICE was $400,000.That guitar was in mint condition

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Schecter C1 Classic
Ovation CS257
Drive Stratocaster copy

Traynor YCV80 all Tube
Pignose G40V Tube Amp

Ibanez TS9
Digitech GNX2
Line6 POD
Fostex MR8HD multitrack recorder
Quote by Wikipedia
Although in re-sale today, a 1959 Les Paul in good condition can be easily priced between $100,000 and $500,000...

He should sell it to a collector, try to get it at all costs.