like the title suggests, I want to tune my Epiphone Les Paul in A#

is it possible since Les Pauls have a 24.75" scale neck?

Can I just change the strings and put some 13s on it or will I need to do a lot of modification to make it right (if its possible)?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
That's ridiculously low...you'd be better off getting a baritone or a 7 string for that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Why would you want to do that?

Just buy a pitch shifter and do it that way...
Every inside out badger has a silver lining.
Quote by giant_toaster
Why would you want to do that?

Just buy a pitch shifter and do it that way...

Those are very rarely any good.

Either get some reallly heavy guage strings and loosen with the truss rod a bit, or get some cheap baritone.
Of course its possible, but sound-wise, idk if it would be to great. go get a baritone, or a 7 as the man b4 me suggested.

If u wanted to do that, w/out getting a new guitar, i would go with the strings thicker than 13's. get the heaviest gauge u can.
I play my Les Paul down in A#, so yes, it is possible, I had a buddy of mine who is a guitar tech set it up though, so I'm not sure what he did. I play with 13's on it though.
I don't have the money to buy another guitar.. I just bought an Ibanez S520EX that I keep in standard E tuning because I play songs that uses the whammy bar in that tuning, and I play songs that don't use a whammy bar in A# tuning

I'll like to have a 7-string, but not now, I just don't have the money for that now
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
I have done it to play some of Breaking Benjamin's newest songs. I have a Hellraiser, the neck is 25.5". It works alright for me
Yes it is possible, and there are some bands out there that do it. You just need heavy, heavy strings.
I have just tuned a Strat to C# (C#F#BEG#C#) [sometimes to C (CFBbEbGC)] which is just 2 steps higher than the tuning you're aiming. My strings are 11's, so I don't see why can't you tune your Les Paul to A#, I believe you should use 13's strings, though. Actually I believe I should also get 13's...
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
Last edited by TaV0 at Jul 24, 2007,
Quote by 7angels7plauges
youll be ok with 13s and a truss rod adjustment. what are you playing that low?

To play some Meshuggah!

for the ones that don't know what is Meshuggah, here a link to one of there song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFQYxB4kLA
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
why do people want to tune that low? thats like having a the top few strings of a bass almost
what about the pitch shifter that giant_toaster talked about, is it any good? how does that work?
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
umm its possible, sevendust drops epi lps to drop b and drop a#, id suggest .13 gauge strings and have it setup with a trust rod adjustment
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Play some Antestor!....You just need heavy strings, my friend played in that for a while...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I got my Explorer in drop-a#, and it's not too bad, but kinda muddy lower then the third fret on the low e(a#).
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by 1010011010
Oh, yes. Meshuggah is teh shizz.

But you do know that they play with 8 stringers, right?

I know, but not in all their songs, most of their songs are played on a 7-string tuned in A# and they almost never use the top string, so a 6-string can do that fine, just need to down tune it.

when they play with 8-string, their guitar are tuned in drop F (F C F A# D# G# C F), with is almost impossible to tune that low on a 6-string, the only way is to go up a semi-tone.
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal
Last edited by alex3996 at Jul 24, 2007,
you absolutely can, you just need a good set of string, i have a cheap 24.5 scale ibanez in drop A# you'll just need heavier gauge strings, the zakk wylde low tune boomers would work well, except you'll need to file your low e on your nut to accomodate the .070 gauge string
Quote by 7angels7plauges
if your playing Meshuggah you have my complet respect.

MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Boss PW-10 pedal